Issues with my brembo RCS clutch MC.

mabupa

Donating Member
Registered
I’ve been too busy putting miles on the concours14 to ride the busa (I know, I know....) but I went on a couple of hundred mile trip 2 days ago and noticed my brembo RCS clutch master felt like it was catching on something. Got home and pulled in the garage and after taking off my helmet and earplugs, I could here a “click” every time I pulled the lever in. I disassembled the lever and cleaned and lubed all the contact/friction points and that didn’t make any improvements. I’m also running a hydraulic safety switch, so the clicking is not coming from the switch. Here is a quick video of it after cleaning and lubricating everything. Any ideas?

I wonder if there is some sort of spring or something that has shifted or broken in the mechanism ? Might have to take it apart some to see if you can get a look , maybe also under rubber boot etc.
Yeah Toad, I’m a little reluctant to taking too much apart, but I might gano choice. Maybe it is under the boot.

I think you should be able to slide the boot up to allow some inspection . The shaft has got to be where the tick is coming from , does it sound like it is from there to you ? Sorry , made a correction .

I think you should be able to slide the boot up to allow some inspection . The shaft has got to be where the tick is coming from , does it sound like it is from there to you ? Sorry , made a correction .
I think so, after taking a closer look. I pulled the “pin” out of the boot, but the center hole that pin goes through the boot is too small to allow for inspection of what’s in there, so boot has to come off.

You rebuilt your shock so ya got this Miguel :)
Shock rebuild was a success and she rides like a dream now! No more spine crushing, teeth jarring bumps, but I think this MC will proof to be a challenge. Every search for rebuild kits (in case I need to rebuild it) has yielded no results and there is comments on other forums about the RCS model not having Kits available for DIY repairs and some old posts about these models having to be sent to brembo for rebuilds. I find it hard to think of this thing needing a rebuild, becasue I don’t think I have 8k miles on the set of brembo MCs.

Well @c10 and @ROADTOAD1340, I’m not a brembo expert, but I took the boot off and everything was nice and greased in there, so I did my best pushing the pin in with the lever removed and no clicking!!! I was able to narrow it down to the lever itself, but everything there I had just cleaned and lubricated, so it had me scratching my head. I put the lever back on and clicking came back, so I started pulling lever with one hand and touching different areas with a finger on my free hand and It felt like it was coming from the area where Pin contacts the “cup” on the lever. I decided to turn the small djuster screw that’s under the little cap to change the ratio I guess and the clicking went away!!! :thumbsup: not sure why it started doing that, but on my video you can see that the side of the cup the pin goes into has some read visible. Now, no red visible after one turn on adjuster. Not sure how that’s going to change the pull on the lever out on the road, but feels the same to me in the garage and clutch works as It should. I still don’t know the exact cause of the problem, but is now gone and I’ll sleep better tonight. :laugh:

Might have worn a ridge or something on that setting , and now you have changed that , so gone ? So now your ratio will be the lower one of two I think , mine the red is showing and so 16 x 18 , the other option is 16 for me . Well done bro , hope it works out on the test ride .
My 19rcs shows 18(red) to 20(green). I guess I had set it up at 18, but don’t remember why. I went half a turn on the screw, so I guess that would be closer to a 19 setting and that fixed it. You are probably right and something got worn after being on that setting since new. Yes @fallenarch, no issues with clutch operation, just that annoying clicking. You couldn't hear it going down the road, but could feel it through the lever.

Back