Issue with Rear brake bleeding

Nefarioc

Registered
Long time user here-new account because I changed email while I was away.

I recently bought my 05 back from a friend I sold it to years ago-Divorce can be costly. :banghead:

So, I'm giving it a full inspection/maintenance and the only issue I've run into is the complete lack of pressure in the rear brakes. I tried bleeding it the old fashioned way to no avail, then just yesterday bought the mini-vac tool. Still can't seem to get a solid stream of fluid to the rear caliper.

I've researched a little but I don't know if what I'm doing is making any progress.

Does anyone have a step-step process for bleeding the rear brakes? And perhaps any troubleshooting advice?

Use a Zip tie around the hose on the bleeder valve as air can get past that if not tightly sealed.

Do you have SS lines? If not, might be time to upgrade, as it's now 10 years old, right?

Yeah...I undoubtedly need to upgrade the lines to Steel. But I'd like to have a temporary fix for now. When you say zip tie around the hose on the bleeder valves...are you referring to the hose at the swingarm?

Well, I just purchased a new set of SS brake lines...guess I'll see if this will clear up the issue.

Yeah...I undoubtedly need to upgrade the lines to Steel. But I'd like to have a temporary fix for now. When you say zip tie around the hose on the bleeder valves...are you referring to the hose at the swingarm?

No.

The hose that sucks the fluid out of the bleeder valve coming from the Mityvac pump.

Likely a very small crack/pinhole in the old line.
There are a couple layers too, so you won't always see fluid leak.
Just enough to let air in.

I had a similar issue trying to bleed the rear caliper on my 99 cbr900rr, couldn't get fluid out of the bleed screw, pedal was rock hard. Cracked the banjo bolt loose at the caliper and got fluid. Turns out the original rubber line swelled and won't allow fluid to pass. Upgraded to stainless, all is good now.

what part of Houston are you in? Id be happy to lend a hand on the weekend or you could bring it to my house and we can take care of it. I'm in NW Houston by Jersey Village

Jerry

what part of Houston are you in? Id be happy to lend a hand on the weekend or you could bring it to my house and we can take care of it. I'm in NW Houston by Jersey Village

Jerry

I recently moved back to the SE side, Deer Park area. Lived 10 years in North Houston (249).

I'm going to wait on the new brake lines then start over...see how that goes.

Back