Issue with my recent stator cover upgrade?

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
This morning on my ride in, I suppose something happened...all of the sudden, I heard a loud whiz sound, very high pitched, and just for a millisecond I thought I'd lost power to the bike...I looked down expecting to see the bike was stalled, but I was still running...I didn't feel anything different with the bike, so I figured it was just the wind noise in my helmet and my imagination...  
wink.gif

Well, after bragging to omslaw and zukracer about how I was going riding for lunch, na na na na na na, I could hear something was off when I started the bike.  It sounds like an exhaust leak, at least that was my first impression...I get down by the bike and it's coming from the stator cover area...I feel all around, looking for signs of leakage from putting the cover on a few weeks back, nothing...being the idiot that I am, I go for my ride  
rock.gif
  I don't feel anything odd with the bike, just that sound of a leak somewhere.  I make two stops, then get back to work early, cutting my ride short because I'm worried about my bike.  

I turned it off, then didn't like where I parked, so I go to restart and nothing.  It's trying to turn over, but obviously something's gone up on my bike...I'm pretty sure it's something to do with my stator cover, perhaps I messed up something during the install.

What do I need to look for?  Looks like I'll be begging the boss to park my Busa in my office tonight and catch a ride home with Mike
sad.gif
 Damn bike...I haven't been on it since the run to Deal's Gap, minus a quick trip after the stator cover install and now I guess I've messed something up...

HELP!

(rockadaous @ Jul. 24 2007,12:34) bring the stand into work and pop it off.  only one way to find out.
Yeah, I don't have the stand here with me, and I'm sure the boss might say, okay, that's it! You're outta here
laugh.gif

It's NO SECRET that I don't know a ton about motorcycles...I didn't even know what the stator cover was as I was pulling it off LOL But, the install went well, no problems, so I'm worried I did something wrong because it went too well
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

well hopefully its not the starter gear... anyone around that could trailer it home for you? surely some HD buddy of Mike's has a trailer...

we all know they dont ride them all the time LOL
beerchug.gif

And if it is the starter gear zuk? What kind of trouble is that going to be?
sad.gif

We'll have to trailer it home if it comes to that...we do have a friend with a trailer...

And if I can get it started, by some miracle, should I dare drive it or just plan on trailering no matter what?
rock.gif

The nut behind that cover from the factory on my 06 se was lose and backed out on that cover causing it to snap off.. gotta love warrentys... I heard the same noise and then finally a pop when i was backing up... then no speedo on the ride home... till I seen what happened..

That's what it felt like when I was riding, though I didn't hear the pop...it FELT like something had pressurized then let loose...

Mine is far from being under warranty now...wouldn't matter anyway because I put an aftermarket stator cover on...even used damn loctite...grrr...

pull it back apart when u get a chance.. check that nut might be starting to back out and your ok... my speed sensor survived but I was pissed and made them install a new one.. being that that bolt was checked during pdi... so their technician says
argue.gif
sorry im a honda technician and get pissed when people are lazy on the saftey issues
rant.gif

(Ruth|ess @ Jul. 24 2007,13:17) pull it back apart when u get a chance.. check that nut might be starting to back out and your ok... my speed sensor survived but I was pissed and made them install a new one.. being that that bolt was checked during pdi... so their technician says  
argue.gif
 sorry im a honda technician and get pissed when people are lazy on the saftey issues  
rant.gif
Thanks for the info...I'll start there after I get the bike back home...

*grumbles* It's always something
laugh.gif

I thought the speed sensor was the one on the front sprocket am I wrong? My speedo goes in and out when it feels like working. it works best when its cold or I first take off then just stops over a period of time

(race24x @ Jul. 24 2007,13:22) I thought the speed sensor was the one on the front sprocket am I wrong? My speedo goes in and out when it feels like working. it works best when its cold or I first take off then just stops over a period of time
Hope you're not asking me! LOL

My learning curve here is LONG...

I'd sure start with pulling the stator cover. It sounds like a bolt may have backed out. I hope it is not serious. I wish I was closer, I hate to see it riding in a Harley trailer and you having to put up with the Busa Bashing!
wow.gif

Your right race... I misread your comments above vabusa.. I thought you ment the front sprocket cover.. Your talking about the other side of the bike
all_coholic.gif
My bad... Something does sound wrong tho Like zuk said I wouldn't wanna ride it home... If all you did was change the cover only mishaps I can think of are leaks..

well if its the gear or clutch or whatever its called (you can see I know almost as much as you about them ;) ) you probalby need a new starter. Mine when out in a similar fashion and thats what was done to fix it.

dunno YMMV but definitely would trailer it home if you heard it while riding.

(Professor @ Jul. 24 2007,13:28) I'd sure start with pulling the stator cover. It sounds like a bolt may have backed out. I hope it is not serious. I wish I was closer, I hate to see it riding in a Harley trailer and you having to put up with the Busa Bashing!  
wow.gif
Tell me about it! My baby's never been trailered...hate to start now...

I may just bring all of my tools here to the office and clock out tomorrow while I tear Caesar apart...but, I recall, I really needed Mike's help getting everything back together when we installed the stator cover.
wink.gif

Will I need to order a new gasket if I take the Woodcraft cover off?

(VaBusa @ Jul. 24 2007,12:32) Will I need to order a new gasket if I take the Woodcraft cover off?
You shouldn't if you didn't use any sealer on it. It should not have bonded from the heat yet.

Dayum, Michelle! I was just jumping on to brag about my meeting, but you're bumming, girlfriend!
sad.gif

Yeah, I would look at the stator cover - if your gasket still looks OK, you'll probably be OK with re-using it.

PS - I'll have some more BBQ for you. *NOW* I'm gonna hafta go ride for an hour to make up for ya!
wink.gif

laugh.gif
yeah, Omar, laugh it up!
tounge.gif
As I was cutting my ride short I was thinking "Omar would get a kick out of this as he sits in his midday meeting"
wink.gif

Tom (Postal) talked to me a bit on the phone...I'm going to have to pull my new stator off and see if something's come loose in there...hopefully I haven't worn any of the parts inside, hopefully it's something simple like a screw coming loose in there...

I'll be sure to let you guys know what I find...maybe that bottle of loctite that looked like it was 30 years old wasn't the right stuff to use
laugh.gif

Rick - thanks for the info on the gasket too...I didn't use any sealer, so I'm hoping it's okay...

laugh.gif

Back