Issue With Genmar Riser/heli Bars

Caithness

Registered
I read that the Genmar 3/4" riser and Heli Bar combo worked on the GenII bikes, but after the install my throttle and turn signal housings are hitting the upper fairing at steering lock and the brake master is hitting my MRA windshield (the windshield fitment I knew might be an issue). I installed the Genmar riser first and had issues, with the HeliBars actually making things a little better.

Am I doing something wrong or is this how it is supposed to work?

I had several bar and riser combos on my gen2. Including .75" risers and Heli-bars combined.
At full bar turn to the left, the switch housing on the throttle side would just barely touch the inner windshield. It was a non issue.
Both switch housings are located on the bars by pins and holes, so their locations are the same.
The varience can be that the upper fairing stay/mounting bracket, is angled in a few thousandths more on one or each side.
All parts have a tolerance range. So some bikes(cars, blenders, whatever) can be to the high or low sides of spec, or even out slightly.
Just like engine tolerances. Both may be good, and in spec, but one has tighter tolerances, or just the right combo of in spec tolerances. Which is why with 2 "identical" engines, one will always be "faster", because it has .0004 more hp than the other.

For the windsheild problem, I'de be slightly bending and tweaking brackets.
There's usually even slack for slight movement in bolt holes in mounting brackets.
As for the aftermarket windsheild, I cannot say. For curiosity, I'de measure it's thickness vs. stock.

I don't have risers and my helio get real close to the upper.

With the rake of the forks/windsheild, even though the spacers raise the bar mounts another .75", it as at point where the windsheild is higher. As the winsheild gets taller the further towards the rear of the bike it rises.

It sounds like mine is in the normal range then. I'm riding from FL to CA in a couple of days and taking some basic tools, if the contact still bothers me after I make it to the other coast I'll pull the riser.

Thanks

Funny you say that, I went out today, loosened the clamps and pulled the bars back as far as they would go as I tightened them down. Huge difference- it doesn't touch at all now on the left side and barely touches on the right. I had read there was some play in them but I didn't realize just how far they could move in the clamp. So that's part of the solution- pull the bars to the rear as you tighten them down and it helps a ton.

Good to hear you got it sorted. I ran a tall Genmar/Helibar setup for years on my Gen1 with only shield trimming.

Funny you say that, I went out today, loosened the clamps and pulled the bars back as far as they would go as I tightened them down. Huge difference- it doesn't touch at all now on the left side and barely touches on the right. I had read there was some play in them but I didn't realize just how far they could move in the clamp. So that's part of the solution- pull the bars to the rear as you tighten them down and it helps a ton.

That sounds like exactly what mine do..and it's not an issue. Makes the bike much easier to ride when slabbing...

Back