Is this why my busa is running like crap?

aaronxs400

Registered
bike is hard to start up, seems really cold blooded. It has small air box mod, BMC race filter and Murray Pipe with stock ecu, nothing tuned or remapped. Would this cause it to start hard?

8000 miles. 2006. unknown when it was running well, i just got it. im new to fuel injection bikes. mechanic said it def. needs the PC3 hooked up and mapped. just trying to verify. this motor is in a chrome moly FBR chassis but has all stock stuff even the airbox.

If you don't have the cold start lever and cable it will not run well until it's warmed up. Sounds like it could use a tune since it is setup as a drag bike, and you would want it to run at it's best. The PC3 is one way to do it. It can also be ECU tuned with the right goodies.

will do guys. it has the cold start lever. just seems to take longer then it should to warm up. gas may be a little old as well. has brand new plugs and filter. we will see how she does after she gets dynoed. im just trying to make sure it is mainly a tune up and not something else.

+1 to twotone. Get the throttle bodies synced first. If it does need to be synced it will also help the tune work better.

It is if you have the tools and patience. I have a Motion Pro Sync tool that I find easy to use. You will want to follow the service manual to do the sync until you are familiar with the process.

If you don't have the cold start lever and cable it will not run well until it's warmed up.

1+

Ask yourself this. When cold, it's hard to start. When warm, it runs without the problems I am discussing now cold. It all goes away when I start and stop with a hot engine. If you can say, yes, they all go away after warm up, then it is your mod at this, 'small air box mod,' upsetting the cold start is all.

However, if you still complain that all the hard starting happens no matter hot or cold, then yes, you have a drive-ability problem. Make sense?

figured it out....the throttle bodies werent even clamped down. however the motor has now been pulled and is sitting in its new home. we are not going to run the cold start lever and cable but i did turn the idle up to the same point where the cold start cable opens the butterflys. race only bike, i can deal with a little high idle. plus i can adjust it down when need be.

Back