Is This Too Good Of A Deal?

mainemonty

Registered
Ad says 2003 Busa with 20k...Good condition....clean title.....Poster replied to my email says "Two extra gas tanks full set extra plastic two other exhaust and an extra front tire...needs battery" asking $3000. Have snow on the ground and another foot coming tomorrow. So test drive would be impossible. Pictures where supplied by poster upon request. Thanks in advance for any comments..David

image4.JPG
image3.JPG
image2 (1).JPG
image1.JPG

Last edited:
Doesn't seem too out of the way to me. I think the seller is throwing in extras he wouldn't use anyway and to make sure he gets the sale. I've seen Gen 1 busas for that price regularly.

If you can lay eyes on it in person, seems like a decent deal. Would want to hear it run though. How is 2nd gear?

Wonder if it's been down since he has those extra tanks, full set of spare fairings and the ones currently on the bike are probably aftermarket too.
I would check under that tank bra for any dints dents ? :thumbsup:
^ what he says. Or if the tank is even color matched to the bike.

I am somewhat leary of bike - 3K is not a bad price for an 03, but my experience is that when there is a whole other set of plastics, the bike has been down. I agree with twotonevert - you need to hear the bike run. I will say that 20K miles on an 03 is very low and that bike is not a show bike. Lots of pitting and lifting in the chrome. Just my thought, but I would want to look at that bike with the fairings off.

Good eye, either the seat is not fully engaged in the sub frame or its bent.

Poor chrome work on top clamp , Body panel does not line up on clutch side/under lever seen in picture . As stated seat does not align .
Run Forest Run !

At the very least throw it on a rear stand and run it through the gears, you can do that without taking it out of the garage. Is the seller a member of this forum? That driver seat is perplexing. The mounting bolts go through the main frame uprights and the rear tabs engage the subframe. As others have mentioned remove both seats and take a look at whats causing the misalignment. Could just be bent or missing parts on the seat pan?

pops out of gear under load . Worn shift drum/fork . Many brands/models have 2nd gear issues ( its the gear hammered the most in the 1 / 2 shift )

pops out of gear under load . Worn shift drum/fork . Many brands/models have 2nd gear issues ( its the gear hammered the most in the 1 / 2 shift )

+1
But I've never heard solid evidence as to the gen1s exact problem.
As which part(s) are over or under sized, or not hardened properly during there mfg.
Why the 100k mile beater is fine and the trailer queen breaks.
Seems like the same cause(whatever that may be) that was let slide on batch after batch of parts, year after year.
Like poor quality control.
You either got good gears, forks and drum, or you didn't.
Just a curiosity of mine.

thanks for all the suggestions...I did notice the pitting on the triple clamp...almost like it was a fake chrome sticker. I also noticed the seats being crooked...good call on subframe....it just snowed two feet yesterday...no chance of a road test...don't know if seller is forum member...its a maine craigslist listing...the current body work setup is ugly for sure....maybe other body work is more promising...I am in my 50's so the cash money playa vibe is not so appealing..but busas are not so abundant here and do fetch a pretty good used price. Can i see the subframe with the seat off? If so I bet a quick eyeballing would show something bent or rewelded.

Back