Is this rubber thingy supposed to be here (external fuel pump near injector)

Mikesbaron

Registered
Replacing shotty fuel pump on 2000 and I took off part of the FI side to clear the small mesh screen and I found this rubber plug (the little hat looking thing) fit into the mesh screen. It was smashed between the o-ring and into the mesh screen hole.

When I look on the microfiche it's not show anywhere. What the heck? Any ideas?

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-36.jpg

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-39.jpg

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-40.jpg

You must peel with a tiny tool the litlle mesh filter out and clean it reverse .
It dirty with GOM or tiny brass particals .
Then put it back.
regulator_filter.jpg

Screen did it’s job stopped whatever it is. I would go through all the seals in the fuel system and if they are all their and good I wouldn’t over think it.

I don't think that was anything that came loose during operation. It would have had to have come out of that port surrounded by the O-ring and no way it would spread out around the screen hole between the parts like a gasket. It would have balled up all inside the screen hole. Someone put that there. Maybe they forgot to remove it before assembling the parts. Maybe it is just a plug that comes in a new fuel pump like the plastic plugs that sometimes come in brake line ring couplings.

I hope this is not the reason the pump was failing. Sure seems like it would cause a slight problem with fuel flow.

Man I think someone deliberately placed it there. There is no way that could have gotten in there: it didn't come through the mesh screen and it could get through the tiny hole from the air valve/pump thingy. I wonder if they thought by blocking the pump inlet it would help improve performance or something?

Either way it's going in the trash.

Looks like it was placed there deliberately to me. Maybe by a misguided attempt to adjust fuel pressure. Does not show up on the parts breakdown. Could you hear the fuel pump trying to run? I would replace the pump itself and reassemble like the breakdown and give her a try.

Back