Is this rubber thingy supposed to be here (external fuel pump near injector)

Mikesbaron

Registered
Replacing shotty fuel pump on 2000 and I took off part of the FI side to clear the small mesh screen and I found this rubber plug (the little hat looking thing) fit into the mesh screen. It was smashed between the o-ring and into the mesh screen hole.

When I look on the microfiche it's not show anywhere. What the heck? Any ideas?

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-36.jpg

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-39.jpg

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-40.jpg

Vanishing Point

Registered
You must peel with a tiny tool the litlle mesh filter out and clean it reverse .
It dirty with GOM or tiny brass particals .
Then put it back.
regulator_filter.jpg

Mathewrussell52

Registered
Screen did it’s job stopped whatever it is. I would go through all the seals in the fuel system and if they are all their and good I wouldn’t over think it.

Mythos

Registered
I don't think that was anything that came loose during operation. It would have had to have come out of that port surrounded by the O-ring and no way it would spread out around the screen hole between the parts like a gasket. It would have balled up all inside the screen hole. Someone put that there. Maybe they forgot to remove it before assembling the parts. Maybe it is just a plug that comes in a new fuel pump like the plastic plugs that sometimes come in brake line ring couplings.

I hope this is not the reason the pump was failing. Sure seems like it would cause a slight problem with fuel flow.

Mikesbaron

Registered
Man I think someone deliberately placed it there. There is no way that could have gotten in there: it didn't come through the mesh screen and it could get through the tiny hole from the air valve/pump thingy. I wonder if they thought by blocking the pump inlet it would help improve performance or something?

Either way it's going in the trash.

E Zurcher

Registered
Looks like it was placed there deliberately to me. Maybe by a misguided attempt to adjust fuel pressure. Does not show up on the parts breakdown. Could you hear the fuel pump trying to run? I would replace the pump itself and reassemble like the breakdown and give her a try.

Latest Bikes

• A blue bike
    2017 blue & black
    • Hayabusa Wannabe
    • Updated:
  • 2011 busa
    2011 limited edition candy sonoma red busa
    • Hetheus
    • Updated:
  • New guy here
    Hey what’s up everybody! My names Matt from Southern California. I just...
    • Los.great.beard
    • Updated:
  • My 2014 Hayabusa
    2014 Hayabusa 50th Anniversary
    • Dljat2
    • Updated:
  • Hi Everyone
    Loved
    • BirolBora
    • Updated:

Forum statistics

Threads