Is This Normal ? Temp Gauge

Jeff Lamer

Registered
Hey All,

This engine is new to me and my temperature gauge isn't working. I ohmed what I thought was the sensor and it was ok. When I power on the needle does move a bit. The odd thing is that when I hit the kill switch and leave it on I get CHEC on dash and my temp gauge maxes out...Is that normal?

Yes, that's how they work. They go to the top and then down when you fire it up, if bike is cold obviously. If not, when you fire it up, it will read whatever temp. Engine is currently at.

Thanks Mabusa..... I still have no temp reading when engine is hot... not sure how to trouble shoot ? worse case I may add a aftermarket temp/pressure gauge if possible. This is in a car so I have room on my dash.

I
Thanks Mabusa..... I still have no temp reading when engine is hot... not sure how to trouble shoot ? worse case I may add a aftermarket temp/pressure gauge if possible. This is in a car so I have room on my dash.
Im No expert, but it sounds like the gauge goes through its normal cycle when you turn the key. I would think it's something to do with the sensor itself, maybe(?).

Is it sweeping when you initially turn key on? If not then you have a mechanical failure of the gauge itself. If it is and doesnt read tep, replace the temp sending unit.

All fixed now... must have been a loose connection. I removed it and tested ohm range with lighter and then jumpered it out and gauge maxed proving wiring was ok. reinstalled and all good now.

My 04 temp guage cycles all the way up then down, but then slowly rises about a centimeter. The bike is cold been sitting 2 days now in my garage. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I think posting on an old thread that pertains is a good practice as long as the thread isn't too long already. I haven't started my 08 in such a long time, I don't remember how it reacts. Seems like people are saying the needle is supposed to sweep like the tach and speedo do when you turn the key on. As far as rising a centimeter after it bottoms out, that would seem normal if the motor has some heat in it. I don't know if it does that when the motor is cold. When the bike warms up to normal operating temperature, the needle should be about at the center. Maybe not all the way to center if the air cold where you are.

No comments really?
If you really want them: My Gen 1 does this. starting the bike cold, gauges sweep and go to current conditions. Starting bike after riding/idle, gauges sweep and then temp rockets to the top until the bike is running.

Back