Is This Normal ? Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'All Motor' started by Jeff Lamer, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Jeff Lamer

Jeff Lamer Registered

Contests won:
    Hey All,

This engine is new to me and my temperature gauge isn't working. I ohmed what I thought was the sensor and it was ok. When I power on the needle does move a bit. The odd thing is that when I hit the kill switch and leave it on I get CHEC on dash and my temp gauge maxes out...Is that normal?

2. mabupa

mabupa Registered

Contests won:
    Yes, that's how they work. They go to the top and then down when you fire it up, if bike is cold obviously. If not, when you fire it up, it will read whatever temp. Engine is currently at.

3. Jeff Lamer

Jeff Lamer Registered

Contests won:
    Thanks Mabusa..... I still have no temp reading when engine is hot... not sure how to trouble shoot ? worse case I may add a aftermarket temp/pressure gauge if possible. This is in a car so I have room on my dash.

4. mabupa

mabupa Registered

Contests won:
    I
    Im No expert, but it sounds like the gauge goes through its normal cycle when you turn the key. I would think it's something to do with the sensor itself, maybe(?).

5. Jeff Lamer

Jeff Lamer Registered

Contests won:
    Does anyone have a resistance chart for the temperature sensor ??

6. VIPER

VIPER Formerly known as viperblackbusa. Registered

Contests won:
    Is it sweeping when you initially turn key on? If not then you have a mechanical failure of the gauge itself. If it is and doesnt read tep, replace the temp sending unit.

7. Jeff Lamer

Jeff Lamer Registered

Contests won:
    All fixed now... must have been a loose connection. I removed it and tested ohm range with lighter and then jumpered it out and gauge maxed proving wiring was ok. reinstalled and all good now.

Howard Morris likes this.