Is this deal in line?

G

Ok, I found a 2003 Orange 40th Anniv. busa in stock (was just assembled today as I watched, hasn't even been in the showroom) and they have qouted me $11,500.00 out the door. I have the financing lined up and approved and all I have to do is go sign the papers and bring 'er home.

The thing is, I didn't check insurance before I decided on a busa! I had $800 to $1000 a year in mind but had no idea. The best quote I've found so far was $1800/year. Is this about as good as I will do on insurance? I have no tickets and no accidents... 33 years old.

I really want the bike but I don't want to lose my butt. Just wanted to check to see if the price was in line and get some input on the insurance quote.

Meant to add... That d@mned orange is KILLER!!!!!!!!!!
jump9.gif

I think you can do better then that. I have heard from a couple of guys that the dealers have more Orange then other colors. It is not a bad deal just not a great deal.

I don't know about the orange color 'cept that it looks way cool.  Is it more expensive?  If not, you should be out the door for closer to $10k.  As for insurance; I pay $530/yr. w/a $50 deductable on comprehensive and $500 colision.  Before someone scolds me, I had mentioned before that my premium was $498/year, but have since gotten my bill.

Could be some regional differences in sales tax, and certianly in insurance premiums, but both your #s seem a bit high to me.

Hope this helps.  Post some pics once you get 'er!

Ahh hah... The sales guy told me that each dealer only gets one orange 40th... Kinda had a sneaking feeling that he wasn't exactly honest but I didn't know the difference so I couldn't call him on anything. I think maybe I should skip dealing with him and look further. In fact, he just called me and tried the "Got another guy looking at your bike through another sales person" routine. Could be so but that line is so old that I just can't help but wonder.

I told him that I was going to think on it overnight and that he should sell to the other guy if he wanted the bike. I have always said that I'd lose an item before I bit on that line. His next reply was that he would "try and push the other guy toward the black/blue" busa also in stock.

Hmmm. If another sales guy is handling the other customer then how/why would he interfere and try to influence someone else's customer? I think I smell BS!
cussing.gif

I'm in Georgia and they seem to be going for around $10,500.00. I got mine for that and it included the exstended warrinty. that was $500.00 by it self. I believe most dealers are charging a few hundred more just for that color.

Pimpbike

bsrigley, Who do you have ins with if you don't mind me asking? I'm kinda afraid that the $1800 quote will inflate when the bill comes. That would NOT be good! It is griping me to pay $1800! I'm 33 friggin' years old with no tickets or faultable accidents for Christ' sake!!!
pissed.gif

Oh, and I'd be posting pics right now if the ins quote hadn't been so high. I was certain that I could do better than that. The digital camera is ready & waiting for the right deal.
cool.gif

Pimpbike, They made out like they were letting me have the orange bike for what they sell the others for. When they looked up the numbers they said that there was no difference in price between 40th and otherwise in their books. I am beginning to think that they are just full of crap all the way around. I think I should try other dealers before signing papers with this guy.

WanaBussa,
I'm with State Farm. I do have my homeowner's insurance and two other vehicles with them so I get a bit of a discount....but $1800?? That seems like a lot.

BTW: I brought a cashier's check to my dealer for an even $10k and left with my '03 fresh outa the crate with tags and taxes paid, two helmets (cheap Fulmers, but still $100+ each, retail) AND $34 in change. So, unless your tax (I had to pay $289) is WAY higher....

My local dealer here had one bike left and it was the 40th Anniversary model. I got him down to $9800 + tax + 10% off any accessories or riding gear I wanted. I brought him a check today for $10,889 which included a new helmet, Joe Rocket jacket with zip out lining, tank bra, and a wopping $609 in taxes. I'm picking the bike up tomorrow afternoon.

I'm not sure what happened.... I've had sportbikes in the past but have been riding Harleys the last 8 years. I guess in my old (43) age I need a change. I really liked the Honda Interceptors but somehow I found this website and as of tomorrow afternoon the rest is history. Thanks to the mods and the posters of this site. The information here really helped in my descision making.

hey HEY! We snared another one!!

.... where's my check??? ;)

You will LOVE your new bike, Unregistered! Just ride safe... it's KINDA fast

I got a price of $10.992 to start with. Came down to $10,274.00. Then added "documentation fee", Freight, and "Set-up" plus 7% sales tax... Ended up with $11,504.00 to finance. No discounts mentioned on gear. Maybe a cheap $80 helmet thrown in to get it home with but he was not sure if he could do the helmet or not.

I think I'll shop around a little... May not get Orange but oh well... I have some dang nice paint equipment. Maybe I'll do me an orange pearl with some bad a$$ pearl flames. I love the Burnt Orange 40th color and could be happy with leaving the orange paint stock (yeah, right! :
sarcasm.gif
) but I kinda wanted to custom paint my busa eventually anyway.
wink.gif

So, I guess I'll continue to look for the right deal. I'll also shop insurance in the meantime. Thanks to all the input so far.

I got a price of $10.992 to start with. Came down to $10,274.00. Then added "documentation fee", Freight, and "Set-up" plus 7% sales tax... Ended up with $11,504.00 to finance. No discounts mentioned on gear. Maybe a cheap $80 helmet thrown in to get it home with but he was not sure if he could do the helmet or not.

I think I'll shop around a little... May not get Orange but oh well... I have some dang nice paint equipment. Maybe I'll do me an orange pearl with some bad a$$ pearl flames. I love the Burnt Orange 40th color and could be happy with leaving the orange paint stock (yeah, right! :
sarcasm.gif
)  but I kinda wanted to custom paint my busa eventually anyway.
wink.gif

So, I guess I'll continue to look for the right deal. I'll also shop insurance in the meantime. Thanks to all the input so far.
I think I would shop around on both counts unless you are real crazy about the Great Pumpkin...BUT...

I paid the same sales tax on my 02. I finished at 11K OTD for my SE. I couldn't haggle too much seing as I had them find one for me, took them about a month so when I got there, I didn't have a lot of wiggle room. Though I paid nowhere near retail. The 11K included tax, title, tags, dealer prep, shipping. So it could be in your best interests to get in there and haggle them down but just know that there are other plenty of bikes out there so if they wont budge...Fug em'.

As for your insurance woe's? I have heard that State Farm is pretty reasonable, and if you have good health insurance through work ask your insurer about dropping medical on the bike plan. IT saves me about $400 a year. It's medical payments for you and your passanger that I am talking about, but like I said, if you have insurance from work then you are golden...
I am insured through USAA if your military or recently prior you can get insurance through them. They are not the cheapest but their service rocks. I am paying like $800 a year for full coverage, $250 ded, theft, UIM, etc. Keep shopping, if you have a good driving record you should do OK.

Thanks Revlis... I will give State Farm a call in the morning. If I can get the ins down under 1k and get the bike down a little more I may make the deal. The thing is that I'm just starting to get a bad feeling about the sales guy I got. The more I think about how it went today the less confident I become in dealing with this shop.

I wonder if maybe I should just ask to talk to someone else tomorrow...

Wannabusa,
Do you have any past experience with this dealer?  Are the mechanics good?  If so.....
My advice: (take it or leave it) If the salesman wants to play games, and it sounds like he does, then you should try to play too before you walk away, at least if thier service dept. is good and especialy if there's any chance you'll be taking your bike to them later for service.  So, walk in there tomorrow and tell him after researching the value of the bike, you can't pay any more than say 10K.  Expect him to counter and maybe you can agree on 10,500 and some accessories or something.  Also, it helps if you have your own bank financing or better yet a cashier's check.  If he doesn't come down on the price then thank him and walk away.  I bet he chases you down in the parking lot if he even lets you get out the door.

Anyway, that's what I would do.  Just my $.02.  Don't get mad at me if you take my advice and the deal falls through.  
smile.gif

I wish I knew how their service was. My Dad has bought a few four wheel ATVs from them but they didn't really need much service. Nothing that I wouldn't expect any flunky to be able to fix. They do have a dyno on site though. I thought about that as a benefit of dealing with this shop. The thing is, I figure that they'd take my dyno money as often as I wanted to give it to them no matter where I buy a bike.

I'll see how it goes in the morning. I'm really more torn over the insurance than the bike price. I figure I can work the bike down more. Not much hope in negotiations with the Ins Co...
11doh.gif

They need to do alot better on that price. I'm in california and bought an 03 grey/silver for $9300+ tax and dealer prep. List price is $10,899 + $150 I believe for the 40th. With the slow economy you should be able to wheel and deal. Most dealers get a kick back on financing. Plus they hope to sell you acessories and servicing. For insurance I State Farm full coverage $330 for the year dedutibles of $250 and $500.

bsrigley, has a couple good points, get your financing arranged elsewhere or pay cash. Nothing will move the process along more than if you can just "show them the money". Keep shopping around for insurance as well, there is a big range out there, someone should be able to hook you up. If you have a rough record though, things are not going to be cheap...

When I bought my bike I had cash in hand, like I said I wasn't able to get real hardcore with them but I was able to tell them exactly what I wanted to pay in cash right then. Seemed to help when they wouldn't come down, I just started walking, told them I will expect my deposit back...
Helps hitting them towards months end.

AND if you do not like the sales person, grab another one. If there is a problem just tell them straight up you do not want to deal with that particular person...

BA BUSA,

I probably could have worked the price down today but I really didn't have any idea as to what the usual out the door price should be. I guess I should have asked that here before going in, huh?
wink.gif

Revlis,

My driving record is perfectly clean. No tickets or accidents so I shouldn't have any problems with insurance. I just didn't know where to look other than where I have my house and Maxima.

I am going to talk to the bank where I financed my house about a bike loan. They were great to deal with on the house. May be the same for the bike. Doesn't hurt that my Dad owns stock in the bank.
wink.gif

I think I will try and swap sales dudes. I really hate to drop the guy after he done all the paperwork but I know better than to buy from anyone I don't trust. I've bit the bullet a few times and went ahead feeling like I shouldn't have on deals. Kicked myself for it every time...

Thanks again to all who provided feedback here. It's tough buying something that you don't know the value of. I think I have a better idea of what I'm looking at for a busa now and what I should expect for my money.

wink.gif

Back