Is this a world problem or just in America?

Demon

Registered
I was sitting on the couch over at a friends house the other day and something on the television made me wonder. Do you think other countries in the world deal with racism like we do in America? It seems as if we are never going to exstinguish that issue ever!

I guess I'm just tired of all of the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons in America who think every issue is racial.

I don't know, so I was interested in what everyone else thinks. Why can't we all just get a long!
laugh.gif

This is a tough subject to talk about, you almost never know what to say or who you might offend. But I will say this I think most poeple dwell on the past and should worry more about the future and do like you said just get along with each other.
2cents.gif

It's a world problem.  England can be very racist.  I've heard Japan is very racist for the most part, they tend to view themselves as top of the food chain and everyone else is 2nd class.  We certainly have our share of it here though.  I've never been to either country though, so I'm open to correction if I'm wrong.

I just get tired of people trying to get "even" for percieved inequalities.  There is no way to tip the scales back the other way!  For instance if a white guy doesn't get a job and he thinks it's because a Mexican took the job for cheaper.  Then next time he goes out to eat he doesn't tip his Mexican waiter so he feels like he's getting even.  That's just ignorant, all you've done is tipped the scales further in the same direction.  It's not "us VS them" it's "equality VS inequality and racism".  You can't even the scales on us vs them, it's not a competition and that's a flawed mindset that needs to die!  
deadhorse.gif

Until we are all clones and are all exactly the same there will be racism. And after that, it will be mental descrimination or emotional. Until everyone is drugged up on Soma, there will be racism. I do my part by not taking part in it AT ALL - I pick on everyone equally. Humans are made up of large varieties of tolerances and will always have trouble interacting. I suppose education helps a little... but then after that, it's mental or fiscal. Ya know, the heart of all of it is competition - is one better than another - and we seem to strive on competition as a society, not even really knowing why that whole concept is wrong.

Sorry, way to deep for this morning. I think I just brain hemorraged

It seems to be all about how someone LOOKS. You could be racist and meet a good friend on here that you dont find out till later they are of a dif. race. What would you do then

Racism is just plain stupid. Nothing about it makes any sence at all. It's all arrogance to think your better than anyone else.

Until we are all clones and are all exactly the same there will be racism.  And after that, it will be mental descrimination or emotional.  Until everyone is drugged up on Soma, there will be racism.  I do my part by not taking part in it AT ALL - I pick on everyone equally.  Humans are made up of large varieties of tolerances and will always have trouble interacting.  I suppose education helps a little... but then after that, it's mental or fiscal.  Ya know, the heart of all of it is competition - is one better than another - and we seem to strive on competition as a society, not even really knowing why that whole concept is wrong.  

Sorry, way to deep for this morning.  I think I just brain hemorraged
+1

Unless we are all exactly the same...there will be descrimination among us. If it wasn't color it would be religion...if not religion it would be hair color...if not hair color it would be eye color....if not eye color it would be language.....etc.

Love thy neighbor...............discrimination may exist, but you dont have to be a part of it.

It's a good question, and I can tell you for sure that at least in Central Europe, the Czech Republic for example, racism is as big a problem if not worse than here. Many people are hesitant or scared to accept different cultures, looks, languages, even opinions. Keeping a totally open and humble mind to variety is natural for some of us and next to impossible for others.

I don't understand why people dwell upon the past.....who really cares what happened 100 yrs ago....I have more important things to worry about TODAY. I am in no way, shape, or form Racist.....If your stupid no matter your color, religion, political view, language.....I will dislike you.

Want an easier way to live?

Live your life, be a good person, treat others with good intentions and do the right thing. Don't worry about racism, it'll still be there no matter what you do.

Things might get better, but it'll never go completely away.

As a Canadian, I can say that racism here isn't nearly what it is down there for you fellows. But at the same time we are grossly PC.

For example, a friend was trying to point someone out to me in a crowd and said "it's the guy with short curly hair, with leather jacket and white shirt"

I asked "with the jeans?"

He said "No, with the black pants".

He could have just said "the black guy over there".

+2 on the Al Sharpton comment.

If you look only at the color of ones skin to define racism, it may not be as bad everywhere else. Some places better, some worse. If you expand it to religion or social status, you can make the whole thing mushroom out of control (prejudice instead of "racism"). In many third world countries, the caste (sp) system is very much alive and well. Genocide is still a work in progress in places the news cameras have long since forgotten about.

I guess I'm just tired of all of the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons in America who think every issue is racial.  
That fact that white supremacists still exist, horrible hate crimes still happen accounts for Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton's concern. I agree that sometimes touchy feelings lead to over reacting by these two in certain situations. I hear these two names a lot, but we have to remember they are very passionate about putting an end to a horrible part of history, and being human, yes, they screw up. I don't hear enough people openly talk about the racist idiots that still walk the streets, especially around here. I look white, actually hispanic, so maybe I don't hear the racial slurs by blacks as often, but there are plenty of white racists that I've encountered, and so far, I've let all of them live. My judgement there is up for discussion....
cool.gif

Only ignorance of the mind allows one to see the color of a man's skin and not the character of his actions.

Thank you for all of your ideas and comments.  And I hope this thread stays civil  
whistling.gif

My issue with Sharpton/Jackson was really highlighted when they blasted Don Imus about his radio comment about the Reutger's Ladies Basketball team.  The term "Nappy Headed Hoes" was used in the description of those ladies.  I do not agree with the term he used but I don't believe he meant it in a racial way.  It would be nothing different than what a person of color would have said, but since it was from a white person it makes it offensive.

I just believe that we blow things out of proportion on either side of the color spectrum.  I agree that inequalities/racisms will never end, but we will have to start somewhere.  
beerchug.gif
 (we should all share a drink!)

Fact: Generally speaking, most other countries criticize the US for it's race relations, Denying there own social flaws and nuances.
Fact: Gandhi was a racist against Black South Africans, saying "even though he was called black by white south africans he wasn't like those ni**ers"
Fact: England has racism on Middle easterners partcularly Pakistanis. Calling them "Paki" is the same as N-word.
Fact: Sweden was the model from which Hitler got his idea for a master race. The Swedes carried out mass sterilizations of people deemed genetically unfit as well as euthanasia.
Fact: Germans hate their immigrant Turks. Just try meeting a German girl if you look Mexican or Turkish.
Fact: Hungarians hate Gypsies most, followed by Blacks. This hate is even though they tend to all have gypsy ancestors.
Fact: Bosnians hate gypsies.
Fact: French hate North Africans, ie; Morrocans, Algerians and Tunisians.
Fact: White Chileans killed most or all of their indigenous people while led by Pinochet except for those in the extreme reaches of the Chilean highlands.
Fact: Argentinians that are from European heritage dislike the brown people in their country.
Fact: Being a Black man in Russia is a precarious thing. The Russians don't hide their hatred at all.
Fact: Russian Jews in Israel occupy the top of the social hierarchy. The Arab Jews are at the bottom.
Fact: Mexicans are the cosmic race and generally accept all shapes, sizes and colors In Mexico. Once they enter the US and become Americanized, they learn to dislike Black Americans. My dad is an ignorant racist that taught me some bad perspectives. However, he would love to shoot the breeze with my Black/Mullatto uncle as well as my Aryan looking great uncle.
Fact: I could go on and on and on.

Back