Is there more police presence during the Bash?

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
Just wondering if it seems like it to you guys. Do you hear through the locals that it's " beefed up" somewhat while you guys are there? Or have the busa's been there enough times and behaved appropriately that they leave you alone?

And who HAS gotten a ticket while there,during bash only, for speeding ect?

There's no more police presence during the Bash then any other time during the riding season. There are different car and bike groups up there every weekend of the season, and I don't think we stand out from the crowd. Weekends are especially heavy with officers on overtime, but that's all the time. On the Dragon, you will most likely see Blount County Sheriff's Office (TN), and TN and NC State Troopers. I've never seen Graham County Deputies (NC) on the Dragon, but have seen them on Hwy 28 quite a bit.

The thing about the Dragon is that most of it is in TN and part in NC, with no in-roads. That means that if you're coming from Robbinsville, you should go slowly all the way through the Dragon on your first pass, and if you don't see any TN officers, then you know there won't be any on your way back through. They came up from the NC side before the rockslide was cleared, but don't anymore.

There are so many bikes up there this time of year, our Bash showing doesn't change much. At the CROT on the weekend there has to be thousands that run through the gap each weekend.

Wow this could be endless with the amount of bashes that we have had...

Suffice it to say, for the MOST part the LEO's know we are there, they have become accustomed to us running around, but we are not the only one's there. There's always some car club, other motorcycle enthusiast clubs etc running the mountains. I think the LEO presence, for the most part tends to concentrate on the dragon...

We have had (from what I have personally seen) a REAl good relationship with LEO's during the bash, a few years ago a few troopers came to dinner and I think might have ridden with a few members on borrowed Bash Busa's:thumbsup:

I know Grumpy and I scooted from a ticket coming off of Hellbender one day..but thats just because I passed the cop doing around 120 and he probably figured he wasnt gonna catch me anyways...although I DID stop on the side of the road err just in case:whistle::laugh: I got lucky, lost of folks get off with a warning...the KEY point is IF you see them, respect them..if you didn't see them and they get you, just apologize, be polite take yer lickin's (if you get them) and be on your way..:thumbsup:

I was just wondering.....I always stop, but I am female so I never get a ticket. :whistle: Mostly they just want to talk about how small I am and how big the bike is. :thumbsup:

the quickest way to get a ticket around there that i have seen is to have a wreck, they will cite you almost every time (if we don't get everything cleaned up and the bike hauled away ourselves before they arrive)...like others have said, the Dragon is the most heavily patrolled of the local roads :beerchug:

Aye, I'm thinking I may be a slowpoke this trip too- soo many people posting up about the threats associated with this dragon.. : O

think I could get a knee down going around a turn at 10MPH though?

:D :whistle: :beerchug:

Aye, I'm thinking I may be a slowpoke this trip too- soo many people posting up about the threats associated with this dragon.. : O

think I could get a knee down going around a turn at 10MPH though?

:D :whistle: :beerchug:

Man, it's just a road. A very curvy one, but that's all it is. Just take it easy, and barring everyone else's mistakes, you'll be fine.

Back