Is there advantage to have 190/55 rear instead of 190/50 (for racetrack)?

IG.

Registered
Search didn't work for me. I am talking about track days.

Anyone has knowledge/experience? Will it fit with no issues? How would it feel in turns as well as in straight under hard acceleration? How will this affect my high speed runs (always under 200)? Would I need to adjust suspension, and what specifically?

I've run them both many times. I really can't tell a difference. In theory the 55 should help with tip in.

Really? Is it even worth trying then? What I'd like to know is whether the 55 is: a) just taller sidewall with the exact same profile, or b) profile is more aggressive.

Left to right: 190/55, 190/50, 180/55

The 190/55 will change your final drive ratio since its taller. I prefer the 180/55 even though the contact patch is smaller. It has the tip in characteristics of the 55 profile without the extra height.

20140430_192916.jpg

Just track days?

Do you have a different set of wheels & tires for the street?

I just bought a 190/55 (haven't mounted it yet) so I can't comment on the ride etc.

I bought it to try against the stock 190/50.
In theory I was told that the 55 was like going down 1½ teeth on the rear sprocket
therefore it COULD be a tad slower on take off but a tad faster on top end.

In theory I also hope to get a touch better gas mileage, so if I were to go
to the track I would keep the 55 on for both the street and track.
When I wear it out, then I will know if it was worth it to go with the 55.

Sorry I can't help more.
Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

The biggest improvement for track/twisty use is the 1" riser on the rear dog bones. This will roll the bike forward a bit and increase weight to the front end. From there the 55 is a bit quicker left to right. It's a pretty noticeable difference, but I generally prefer the 50 with the 1" riser.

I always use a 190/55. I'm used to it now but when I first tried it on my 14, I definitely felt the turn in improved. I have a hunch it depends on what 190/55 you go with. I've heard not all are the same. I never measured them but I remeber I sure noticed a diff between a stock 190/50 and a 190/55 BT016. Then I noticed the difference again when I wore that out and replaced with a new BT016. Since then, I've tried several 190/55 tires including Q-2 and Power Ones. I still like the BT016.

Maybe I will try a 190/50 again some day just to compare.

IMO, the 55 looks better and stays round a bit longer. They seem to have more of an oval shaped profile.

Left to right: 190/55, 190/50, 180/55 The 190/55 will change your final drive ratio since its taller. I prefer the 180/55 even though the contact patch is smaller. It has the tip in characteristics of the 55 profile without the extra height.
I know this is a dumb question but why is a 190/55 taller than a 180/55?

I know this is a dumb question but why is a 190/55 taller than a 180/55?

The 55 is a percentage of the width that indicates the height of the tire.

190 x .55 = 104.5

180 x .55 = 99

So a 190/55 tire is 5mm taller measured from the rim to the tread surface than a 180/55

Not a huge difference.

cheers
ken

The 55 should give you a little better turn in...but on the street, I don't think after 5 minutes riding it you'd ever know, and you are not normally riding race speed on the street, so I'd put on the 50 (as they are usually 20-30 bucks cheaper than the identical 55).

Hell i have 190/60/17 Mtecs all ready!

The taller the rear, you can turn in quicker, but as Keith said he cant feal it, but most riders do.

I recently purchased a set which included a rear with 190/50 - after a track day, and shortly thereafter it dawned onto me to try 190/55. I definitely want to try it, but trying to decide whether to get another set with 190/55 rear now and hold off on the one I purchased earlier. I will still need another set after a couple of track days and some street riding, so either way I will use both. I do ride on the street pretty... oh, well, I can't say in the public forum... Go as crazy as 60, and on rear occasion even 65! Dang, why didn't I think about it a few days earlier? :banghead:

Thanks everyone for your impressions.

Hey BusaWhipped, nice shot! It seems 190/55 has a more pointed profile. Can you confirm that? I know a picture can be misleading depending on the angle, especially considering those are worn tires.

Another question: do they wear off the same way, or 190/55 is more prone to developing a flat spot? Flat spot is a big problem for me because... well, I love acceleration, and with a surprise hidden inside, she delivers whatever acceleration I ask for.

I recently purchased a set which included a rear with 190/50 - after a track day, and shortly thereafter it dawned onto me to try 190/55. I definitely want to try it, but trying to decide whether to get another set with 190/55 rear now and hold off on the one I purchased earlier. I will still need another set after a couple of track days and some street riding, so either way I will use both. I do ride on the street pretty... oh, well, I can't say in the public forum... Go as crazy as 60, and on rear occasion even 65! Dang, why didn't I think about it a few days earlier? :banghead:

Thanks everyone for your impressions.

Hey BusaWhipped, nice shot! It seems 190/55 has a more pointed profile. Can you confirm that? I know a picture can be misleading depending on the angle, especially considering those are worn tires.

Another question: do they wear off the same way, or 190/55 is more prone to developing a flat spot? Flat spot is a big problem for me because... well, I love acceleration, and with a surprise hidden inside, she delivers whatever acceleration I ask for.

The 55 profile has more of a pointed profile. That helps with the tip in. On the highway, they tend to flat spot a little quicker and don't feel as stable. All of the tires in my garage at the moment are take offs.

Thanks! I may get one. Seems worth a try for a chance for improvement. Something to think about...

Quick update: exchanging 190/50 for 190/55. Chaparral customer service is great. I want to wait for 190/55 to arrive so that I can put the two side by side, and compare the profiles. Then will ship 190/50 back.

Thanks everyone for your input! This helped me to make a decision. :beerchug:

IG, you're working this way too hard. Buy a set, try them...I'm thinking you'll not see much / any difference. Then you'll know.

But what do I know...I don't use many tires..

20130417_180403_zps94373eb5.jpg

The 55 is a percentage of the width that indicates the height of the tire. 190 x .55 = 104.5 180 x .55 = 99 So a 190/55 tire is 5mm taller measured from the rim to the tread surface than a 180/55 Not a huge difference. cheers ken
Thank you. I learned something new.

The 55 is a percentage of the width that indicates the height of the tire.

190 x .55 = 104.5

180 x .55 = 99

So a 190/55 tire is 5mm taller measured from the rim to the tread surface than a 180/55

Not a huge difference.

cheers
ken

Something doesn't add up here.
I have a 190/55 here and it doesn't measure 104mm from the inside lip to the far outside edge of the tire.

If I didn't by 190/50 prior to realizing something that would be the case. BTW, you seem to be having a hard time getting rid of used tires. I do and until Sandy had about the same number of tires, and for some strange reason keep saving them in my shed. Is this normal?

IG, you're working this way too hard. Buy a set, try them...I'm thinking you'll not see much / any difference. Then you'll know.

But what do I know...I don't use many tires..

Everyone is forgetting ground clearance. I was dragging my stator cover a couple of years ago at the bash. Earlybird suggested the 55's and I have never had an issue with it since switching.

Back