Is the speed agreement gone?

I spoke with a Kaw sales slime at the bike show yesterday and he said the 14 would put out >185HP at the rear tire.

Get a grip on a little history, and reality. First and foremost, "speed is relative." Looking back 20 years, I'm sure the blab on the blog would have been the same talk like, "These bikes are too fast!" Too fast for whom? Stay the off the bike if you can't handle the speed. But, don't deny someone who CAN handle 200 MPH speeds. Human Ability is always breaking new ground.

Same goes for technology. Setting points on a bike is long gone. Do you actually thing emissions will get in the way of horsepower? I wouldn't even bet on it, if man is involved. Just look at the HP difference between a points bike, and a computer bike of the same CC.

Bottom line is..... Mind your own business about HP and Speed Wars. Go play with the Gov. officials, and build another rear steer motorcycle, or legislate a lame 85 MPH Speedometer face. Don't put a "Cap" on man's unlimited (so far) abilities to propel himself on this earth.
The bike is capable. The tires are capable, and man is certainly capable.
I agree with alot of what you say....but the emissions thing does come into play a little. In several years as technology drops, so will the prices. However if they put all the EPA restrictions on the bikes they are planning to do, its gonna cost the rider alot of $$$$ in the near future to achieve alot of HP....remember when fuel injection became popular in the 80's (yes I know it was around long before than) - If a person wanted his 1985 TPI Camaro to go fast, it cost alot of $$$

Last point is I believe man is capable of anything...but tires at this point arnt...look at what they did to Daytona...and for what reasons did they do it?
rock.gif
Something to do with tires...anyhow, I hope we all ride the Best in the future, and let the politicians stay out of it.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: "changed camaro from 84 to 85...think thats when TPI was IROC"|1133822505 -->

I know it's early to talk about the ZX14 numbers and all... But its almost winter here, i can't ride my bike anymore and all there is to do is discuss stuff like that until spring!!!

So i heard that the Kawi might be capable of near 200MPH top speed in stock configuration... Would that mean that the top speed limiting agreement between japanese motorcycle manufacturers is no more??? I tought they all agreed (at least Kawasaki and Suzuki) on a 186MPH limit in 2000 to stop the battle for speed king. Apparently Kawasaki forgot about it... Or maybe they just want to get their ass kicked again!!!!!

Anyhow... I personnally think these numbers are starting to be scarry!!!!! Hopefully this wont lead to some severe laws restricting HP or #### like that!

race.gif
With bikes getting so powerful anymore I do believe that its only a matter of time before they start to regulate hp. They've been doing it in parts of Europe for years already....and with the outrageous insurance rates from people crashing these high horsepower hard to handle machines...if they don't do something soon they're won't be enough people who can afford to buy the bikes to make it profitable. Sad but true....
Its not that these machines are hard to ride, they are some of the best engineered machines out there. It just that Idiots, and inexperienced people straddle them. I won't say ride. Kaw has agreed to the 186 limit. A great Kaw rider will beat a good Busa rider.

A great Kaw rider will beat a good Busa rider. [/QUOTE]

Same way a great busa rider will beat a good Kaw rider.

With bikes so close in performance... it's always the rider, never the bike.... until you start doing mods, then the tables can turn either way.

Get a grip on a little history, and reality. First and foremost, "speed is relative." Looking back 20 years, I'm sure the blab on the blog would have been the same talk like,  "These bikes are too fast!" Too fast for whom? Stay the off the bike if you can't handle the speed. But, don't deny someone who CAN handle 200 MPH speeds. Human Ability is always breaking new ground.

Same goes for technology. Setting points on a bike is long gone. Do you actually thing emissions will get in the way of horsepower? I wouldn't even bet on it, if man is involved. Just look at the HP difference between a points bike, and a computer bike of the same CC.

Bottom line is..... Mind your own business about HP and Speed Wars. Go play with the Gov. officials, and build another rear steer motorcycle, or legislate a lame  85 MPH Speedometer face. Don't put a "Cap" on man's unlimited (so far) abilities to propel himself on this earth.
The bike is capable. The tires are capable, and man is certainly capable.
I agree with alot of what you say....but the emissions thing does come into play a little. In several years as technology drops, so will the prices. However if they put all the EPA restrictions on the bikes they are planning to do, its gonna cost the rider alot of $$$$ in the  near future to achieve alot of HP....remember when fuel injection became popular in the 80's (yes I know it was around long before than) - If a person wanted his 1985 TPI Camaro to go fast, it cost alot of $$$

Last point is I believe man is capable of anything...but tires at this point arnt...look at what they did to Daytona...and for what reasons did they do it?
rock.gif
Something to do with tires...anyhow, I hope we all ride the Best in the future, and let the politicians stay out of it.
Bikes and tires may be up to the task, but I'm not so sure guvments' are. They've been limiting hp on bikes for years in parts of Europe...you think MORE power is gonna make them reconsider? I kinda doubt that legislators here are gonna keep looking the other way forever. And I know insurance companies aint. The bikes are limited top speed everywhere...including here in the good ole' US of A. That shows you we aren't above being limited. I would love to see bikes get as powerful as they can make'm...I just don't see that happening in reality...........thats my .02 anyway  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133953194 -->

I know it's early to talk about the ZX14 numbers and all... But its almost winter here, i can't ride my bike anymore and all there is to do is discuss stuff like that until spring!!!

So i heard that the Kawi might be capable of near 200MPH top speed in stock configuration... Would that mean that the top speed limiting agreement between japanese motorcycle manufacturers is no more??? I tought they all agreed (at least Kawasaki and Suzuki) on a 186MPH limit in 2000 to stop the battle for speed king. Apparently Kawasaki forgot about it... Or maybe they just want to get their ass kicked again!!!!!

Anyhow... I personnally think these numbers are starting to be scarry!!!!! Hopefully this wont lead to some severe laws restricting HP or #### like that!

race.gif
With bikes getting so powerful anymore I do believe that its only a matter of time before they start to regulate hp. They've been doing it in parts of Europe for years already....and with the outrageous insurance rates from people crashing these high horsepower hard to handle machines...if they don't do something soon they're won't be enough people who can afford to buy the bikes to make it profitable. Sad but true....
Its not that these machines are hard to ride, they are some of the best engineered machines out there. It just that Idiots, and inexperienced people straddle them. I won't say ride. Kaw has agreed to the 186 limit. A great Kaw rider will beat a good Busa rider.
I agree Wiz...I shoulda been clearer. I meant that your average newer rider can't seem to keep 160 hp underneath him. Personally I have np what so ever with any amount of hp...it just takes the brain communicating with the right wrist
wink.gif

Back