Is the right gsxr1000 tail for 08+ busa?

StridersR7

Registered
So just sold my 2014 R1. Now I want another project and something different. Want to do tasteful mods. So no don’t want to lower and stretch and chrome a busa out. To each is his own. Anyways. Thinking of going single sided swingarm and a carbon rear wheel. Just curious what the avg weight savings that would be. It seems like people are charging a lot of for the gixxer tail conversion. I’m just curious besides the plastic and turn signals is this the right tail/subframe here? What else is needed?

7A35F71C-026E-43CB-82F0-ECE7ECFD2EDE.jpeg

C57CA46A-AA02-45B3-8CDA-3A457EA59AE5.jpeg

7CAFC136-CBE1-49F2-A942-11EE3E6AA152.jpeg

I’m not sure. Maybe because the Busa seat will fit with little modification and there are lots of them out there to be bought. I want to do the swap to mine as well but I’m not paying someone 800-1000 for the kit. I’ll fab some adaptors eventually.

I’m not sure. Maybe because the Busa seat will fit with little modification and there are lots of them out there to be bought. I want to do the swap to mine as well but I’m not paying someone 800-1000 for the kit. I’ll fab some adaptors eventually.

@mabupa was selling his a while back

I see you can get the subframe for $150 roughly. Just wonder how much whatever else you need for it to bolt up would cost

You would still need the plastics, brackets to mount to the Busa subframe, passenger rear sets, passenger seat. From what I’ve seen people don’t actually use them for rear passengers. I wouldn’t anyway.

Seems like the bracket would be the only difficulty. I’m assuming the brackets are not the same that comes with either bike.
So again WHY that year model gsxr1000 then since it doesn’t directly link up?

This kit here says it has everything you need minus plastics. So I’m wondering how is that different then buying a subframe for 1/4 price

The kit includes:
(2) billet aluminum sub frame plates
(1) aluminum battery tray
Spacers and hardware needed for installation
Custom Corbin seat made to fit conversion tail to the Hayabusa tank.

Oh ok. So if there is still modification to make then why do people choose that year gsxr tail to put on then?
The side rails available from GC where designed specifically to bolt a 2007 gsxr pillion subframe. The factory gsxr side rails (the black part in you picture) is super narrow compared to the busa frame, so it won’t even be close to bolting up. I bought the same parts shown on your picture, plus OEM fairings and seats to see how easy it was to adapt, but ended up throwing the gsxr rails in a corner in the garage and going with the aftermarket kit. If you know how to weld aluminum and have the fabrication skills, you could come up with something, but I’m not a welder. The other thing is, depending on your exhaust setup, you might need to make a bracket to hold the exhaust at the gsxr passenger footpeg, because the tail sits higher. I never tried to see if it was possible to accommodate all the busa electronics and battery into the gsxr battery tray either, so not sure how that would workout.

The greggs kit is $1000...
$900 to be exact. I just don’t think people can make this happen for less than $1k, once you buy your preferred brackets, fairings, lights, pillion box and paint it to match your bike, so this is definitely not a cheap mod. Lowering the bike, like the one on your pics helps the look too. I lowered mine when I had the gixxer tail and looked good.

Back