is Suicide a sin?

Lurch

The milkman cometh!!!
Donating Member
Registered
Before I start this let it be known that I agree this is a very touchy subject for many and it hits close to home for many.

I have lost many friends and 2 family members to suicide and attempted it myself when I was a youngin'.

So the question is: Is suicide always a sin and an act of a long term solution to a short term problem? Is there every a time when suicide is warranted?

I will start with a defintion of suicide from the dictionary.

suicide [ˈsuːɪˌsaɪd ˈsjuː-] n 1. (Psychology) the act or an instance of killing oneself intentionally
2. the self-inflicted ruin of one's own prospects or interests a merger would be financial suicide
3. (Psychology) a person who kills himself intentionally
4. (modifier) reckless; extremely dangerous a suicide mission
5. (Military) (modifier) (of an action) undertaken or (of a person) undertaking an action in the knowledge that it will result in the death of the person performing it in order that maximum damage may be inflicted on an enemy a suicide attack suicide bomber [from New Latin suīcīdium, from Latin suī of oneself + -cīdium, from caedere to kill]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Some time tomorrow I will post my essay in it's entirety as a thought provoker.

Let the discussion begin and remember please keep it civil like we did with the SSM thread. We are all adults and we respect each other even if we do not agree with each other.

Thank you in advance for sharing with us.

Lurch

Technically yes, as you are throwing your gift of life in God's face.
However, God sees the heart, and understands the awful place your mind is to end your life.
Judge and you shall be judged. I belive all christians(as "sin" really doesn't exhist to atheists)are judged accordingly by God...as well as everyone else.
Forgiveness is given by God for the asking, and if you belive in Him and come to such a horrible place, I cannot belive God is without forgiveness there either.
I cannot say that it is ever "warranted", but it has to feel that way to the unfortunate soul choosing to end their life.

Don't jump me but here is my view/opinion --------

I feel that it is wrong, but my issue is with people that say its selfish, if someone wants to end there life shouldn't it be theyre decision ? I believe its selfish for people to want that person to stay in their "miserable" situation.

Don't get me wrong I do feel its wrong, I've thought about it before, but have always toughed every situation out no matter how bad it may be, and feel everyone should try and do the same. Not gonna go on but that's my 2c

Yes there are justifiable circumstances.
A soldier dives on a grenade to save his fellow soldiers is one example. There are many concerning parents taking action to save a child that results in their own deaths.

John 15:13
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

A soldier dives on a grenade to save his fellow soldiers is one example. There are many concerning parents taking action to save a child that results in their own deaths.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

You are cheating sir. :laugh: This will make more sense tomorrow. I promise

My life is mine and Ill do with it as I please, and each person has this right. IMO
HOWEVER most of the time the family, friends ect are the victims when there is a suicide.

I dont consider this to be suicide, I guess I would call it more like a sacrifice, in this case not a sin.

I cheated and already read Kevin’s essay. It gave me a few things to talk about but I will wait until he has posted it wand others are commenting

absolutely not. the majority of people who commit suicide suffer from deep depression and are not in their right frame of mind when they kill themselves. there is nothing sinful about being mentally ill.

we also put our dogs down when they are suffering and im sure they would do it themselves if they could but since they cannot talk to us we go on their physical behaviors like not being able to eat or drink. many humans are in the same frame of mind and want to end their life because living is a daily torture. nothing sinful about wanting to put ones self out of misery due to a health issue that will only get worse.

if anyone has ever known someone who is dieing from a painful cancer and waking up every day is a form of torture you would have a different opinion on suicide.

its easy for the mentally sound and healthy people to cast judgement on those that have taken their life but until you walk a mile in their shoes you have no idea. not saying I agree with it, but most say "I would never do that". well, if those who committed suicide were in that frame of mind neither would have they.

again, its ok to put a dog down because of pain but not a human????

Thou shall not kill. And that includes yourself!! So yes.....it's a sin. Would GOD forgive you? Absolutely YES! Jesus died for ALL of our sins!!

If your straight it's a sin but if your gay it's ok :whistle:

Alright alright just a sick twisted joke from a twisted sick mind :laugh:

I imagine that of one is religious than it could be seen as wrong or a sin.
If your not religious than you don't believe in the afterlife nor a soul so it wouldn't matter.

Right?

My head still hurts from the other thread.

Thou shall not kill. And that includes yourself!! So yes.....it's a sin. Would GOD forgive you? Absolutely YES! Jesus died for ALL of our sins!!
So basically you are saying Jesus committed suicide? Or did I miss the point?

absolutely not. the majority of people who commit suicide suffer from deep depression and are not in their right frame of mind when they kill themselves. there is nothing sinful about being mentally ill.

we also put our dogs down when they are suffering and im sure they would do it themselves if they could but since they cannot talk to us we go on their physical behaviors like not being able to eat or drink. many humans are in the same frame of mind and want to end their life because living is a daily torture. nothing sinful about wanting to put ones self out of misery due to a health issue that will only get worse.

if anyone has ever known someone who is dieing from a painful cancer and waking up every day is a form of torture you would have a different opinion on suicide.

its easy for the mentally sound and healthy people to cast judgement on those that have taken their life but until you walk a mile in their shoes you have no idea. not saying I agree with it, but most say "I would never do that". well, if those who committed suicide were in that frame of mind neither would have they.

again, its ok to put a dog down because of pain but not a human????

I agree with this post but it brings up a whole other subject that can be the basis of the next discussion. "Assisted suicide"

I have not seen one scripture that supports this belief that suicide leads to hell. I think that's has been pasted down by religious leaders for years. Who is to say what God will do.?

According to some religious texts it's a "sin" - so I guess for those groups the answer is yes.

For me, I view suicide as a cure for mental/emotional pain and suffering. Personally, for me, I often get pretty extreme anxiety, which really makes me feel crazy and out of control. But not the to extend of suicide. It's amazing how much a mental affliction can hurt you physically. When I have a strong anxiety attack, my body responds with pain and other weird sensations. For example, if a attack comes on in a public place my body starts to go to fight or flight mode, Blood leaves areas that do no need it (like your eyes and visions blurs) and anxiety tightens your muscles ready to fight to escape mode

So that;s just an example of anxiety/agoraphobia breakdown for me - now magnify that 20 times to someone who is having a schizo breakdown. That person will be so full of fear and so full of pain, the only thing that will stop it is death.

So, I do note hate them for it - they are just trying to escape mental and physical agony. Mental illness is scary stuff, no doubt about it. In a perfect world everyone would be diagnosed and get good treatment.

Back