Is only 87 pump octane really okay?

OB_Dennis D.

Registered
Hi everyone. Just discovered this board. It is really informative. Owned my Busa for just under two months. Love it. B4B is outstanding. Have XX too, but Busa is way faster. Now for my first newbie question Owners manual merely specifies 87 pump octane "minimum". Dealer wanted to release the bike to me with that in the tank. I insisted on premium (92 in CA). Dealer said not required, but it makes me feel better to ride with 92 octane in tank. Recently tried a mix of half and half, 92 and 87, and bike still seemed fine. 11:1 C/R seems like straight 87 would be asking for trouble. Any comments or other experiences from this fine group?

[This message has been edited by dsinned (edited 21 July 2000).]

That's actually a pretty good question. I always run at least 92 in my bikes and 87 in my 01 dodge ram. I hope somebody answers it cause I am kind of curious myself.-russ

I was told only to run 92 or higher by the dealer.... But, to stay away from the ethel octane.

[This message has been edited by adowell (edited 21 July 2000).]

there are only Three bikes that Suzuki makes
that sudzuki make that does not take 87 TL100R Gsxr750 DRz400 dirt bike.
Run 87 you will lose performane with anything higher.
FACT

The manual says 87 octane (or higher) as rated by the R+M/2 method. And 91 octane (or higher) rated by the Research Method.

My question is: which method is more popular in the States - so I know when I'm running down there? When I have looked the octane method used hasn't been marked on the gas pump.

I always use Shell premium in Canada (91 or 92 octane). But I don't know which octane method is being used.

R+M/2 method is for the US
ZX12R are suppose to run 92 octane.
Ever bike is different but when you see my high MPH in the 1/4 I will tell you I run 87 octane.

...well, you can learn somthing every day...I knew that the highest octain did not nessesarily mean the best performance in a given vehicle, but I would have thought the Busa would run better on 92 than 87...but who am I to second guess guys that have emphirical data to back their claims...

Yes I have even seen a diiferance on the track as well.
I do want to say they not every bike is the same.I remember DP gaining HP with super but .
Most lose HP.
The ingition timing is not advanced enough to burn properly.
I wish the serch funtion worked on this site there was a lot of good info on this. Some real good document to support what I was saying.
I am off to work.
MOTORHEAD you still have those documnets?

87 has more MTBE and if you read your manuall it says to stay away from any more that 15% of that stuff. It also says that if you start to ping to use a higher octane. I ALWAYS us 92 or more on my BUSA. it only cost 10 cents per gallon more. why take the chance? Also congrates on the new bike :) what part of cali are you in?

Man, this is an age old question.

I think some threads ago this was covered in depth, we ahd some serious gear heads (JC and others) going at it about octane. Members were doing everything from straight 87 to 105+ boosted mix. In the end I don't think anything was definitivly resolved other than anything above 92 is unecessary and may even reduce performance (can't remember why?)

BTW - I run 92, the extra two nickles aren't worth a potential problem....

Bob

One difference no one has mentioned is that super unleaded fuel contains more detergents than regular unleaded.

I'VE BEEN THE TRUCKING BUSINESS FOR 25 YEARS, JUST USE 87,..THOSE OTHER RATINGS YOU PAY MORE FOR ARE JUST PIPELINES FROM YOUR WALLET TO THE GAS COMPANIES, AND THE'RE ARE ALL LAUGHING AT YOU EVERY TIME YOU FILL UP...IT'S A BIG RIPE-OFF AND YOUR BIKE DOESN'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.MODERN DAY VEHICLES DO NOT REQUIRE ANYTHING MORE THAN 87.THE OLD DAYS ARE FAR BEHIND US,WHERE OCTANE RATINGS DID MAKE A DIFFERENCE BUT NOT ANYMORE. ITS OLD HABITS AND STUPIDITY THAT ANYONE STILL FALLS FOR THAT CRAP IN TODAYS MARKETPLACE.

My own experience,back in 1988 I bought a Honda VLX 600 shadow MC for commute to work and I ran 87 grade for awhile than I switched to the higher grade Chevron and Union 76 and did notice a big difference in horse power gain.I remember being at the light on HWY 237 and two sport bikes pulled up next to me and one guy looked over to see the fancy sports car that was next to me and mention to the other bike rider nice ride and the guy thought he was talking about my bike,so he says aloud what a piece of junk Honda.Anyways when the light switched to green we went for it and I walked away for the first 3/4 mile before they caught up to me.The big mouth guy never looked at me but the other guy did and I can tell you the gas did make a difference plus I think the ASCOTT 600 Honda engine did help out also.Use the higher grade gas if you are going out looking for ZX12 and R1's.

octane is a flame retardant not a performance enhancer. You should run the least octane you can till you run into pinging or knock, otherwise your fuel charge is still burning out the exhaust. In a vehicle with a knock sensor that 'reads' knock and backs (retards) the timing off then you could run any thing down to 87 and you wouldn't know except the mileage would fall off and you would lose a little power. but a engine designed to run on 87 research (usa) octane should run the best on that or slightly more but 93 would be a waste, flame out the manifold (loss of thermal efficiency), and could even burn an exhaust valve. The lower the octane rating the more flamable the fuel is. imho just my two cents. Ray

Back