Is it worth renewing subscription to Norton Anti-Virus?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Or should I just use the free one 'Microsoft security essentials' some people here recommend?
My subscription expired to Norton and they want like $79 to renew it?! Are there other free and better ones out there than Norton? I've heard some hear laugh at Norton?

It came with computer for two years. Now it's up.

Or should I just use the free one 'Microsoft security essentials' some people here recommend?
My subscription expired to Norton and they want like $79 to renew it?! Are there other free and better ones out there than Norton? I've heard some hear laugh at Norton?

It came with computer for two years. Now it's up.

Blanca, I can get you any kind of security/anti-virus software for free on the net. I would say "kaspersky" and "bitdefender" are the best.

Using Microsoft here too. also use Malwarebytes anti-malware(free edition) that I run every so often. No issues so far. Only use IE as my browser anymore too.

There are a ton of antivirus products out there... I've used them all AVG, Kaspersky, Avast they all have their own spin... However I dont need avast to speak to me to tell me my antivirus is updated, I dont need AVG to load a million other free cleaners on my system and Kaspersky is ok but from Russia with Love...

I just want my anti virus to run in the background and work... when Microsoft released the SE for free to protect the OS they wrote and it updates via the update process I am sold... You dont have to register it, re register it, put in your email or do anything, install it and walk away...

Malwarebytes is by far the best malware / PUP / ransomware software out now.. If you want to automate protection to real time just pay the 35.00 and your done...

I used Mcaffe but when I learned of the MSE I use that now instead no problems yet an no fees :D

No idea why people run Norton. It's overpriced, and a very heavy heavy program. Definitely kills your system.

Malwarebytes is one of the best out there right now.

Malwarebytes is great for cleaning your system if you think you've got something that has infected it IN SPITE OF your AV Product. But you had better still be running a real time AV product, and using malwarbytes as a backup/2nd layer of defense.

As a former DoD member, I had access to Symantec Endpoint, without an expiration date. I'm still using it (even though it's a corporate version of Norton) because I'm familiar with it. Eventually I'm going to test MSE as Doug has recommended. Put AVAST on an employee's laptop that was completely compromised and it corrected even rootkits was impressed.

Back