Is it Really this easy?

the most important (and often overlooked) thing when it come to changing tires (tyres?) IMO is that the opposite side of where your working on the bead needs to be pushed down into the drop center of the rim (the reccess in the middle of the rim between its bead surfaces) as you work around the bead you should also be moving around the oposite side with the downward presure:beerchug:

My dealer only charges $21.20, I wouldn't even take the wheel off for that, so I let them do it. I just give them the tire and they do the rest.

I agree--if I could get them done for that price I'd let the dealer do it too. But mines charges me MORE for a mount and balance if I don't buy the tires from him.. Consequently, I'm paying top dollar for the tires and top price for the change. All the dealers around here are like that. Consequently, I'm looking for my own changing set up.

the most important (and often overlooked) thing when it come to changing tires (tyres?) IMO is that the opposite side of where your working on the bead needs to be pushed down into the drop center of the rim (the reccess in the middle of the rim between its bead surfaces) as you work around the bead you should also be moving around the oposite side with the downward presure:beerchug:

+100. If this is not done you'll likely turn green, grow to 10 times normal size and commence to destroying everything in sight.

My brother bought a manual changer and boy is it nice! 5 minutes and done if not less. I've done it on the trailer ramp door at the track with spoons befor too, would rather use the changer anyday...

I do my own for 3 reasons:
1. I have chrome rims and the dealer will screw them up.
2. I don't want the dealer to screw up the whole job: (not balance them right, forget to tighten the axle, bend a rim, or disk etc).
3. No body ever works on my bike but me, the dealer might screw it up.

:laugh:

I have heard good and bad things about Dyna Beads. I will stick to properly installed wheel weights.

What "bad things" have you heard? I've never had any bad experience with them and a few guys I ride with including a 260 tire use them w/ zero problems.

I do it myself mostly because i know it is balanced right, and everything is assembled right. I have serious trust issues :laugh:

I do my own for 3 reasons:
1. I have chrome rims and the dealer will screw them up.
2. I don't want the dealer to screw up the whole job: (not balance them right, forget to tighten the axle, bend a rim, or disk etc).
3. No body ever works on my bike but me, the dealer might screw it up.

:laugh:

Sounds like you're afraid the dealer might screw 'em up???? I'm just guessing mind you!:rofl:

When you buy your tires on line from a discount warehouse in BF Egypt and take them to your local dealer who's rates are $75, don't whine about paying $52 to get a rear tire changed.

Just sayin! :whistle:

Most tire suppliers at the track sell tires very reasonable and mount them for free. You may want to look into that aspect?

For instance, I can purchase a set of BTO16's from the trackside vendor for $250 mounted. Good tires, good service and my money goes into the local economy!

I agree. Just taking them off the bike and putting them back on is a pain in the ass. And what is this plastic bead stuff he poors in? How does that magically balance a tire?

What "bad things" have you heard? I've never had any bad experience with them and a few guys I ride with including a 260 tire use them w/ zero problems.

How does pouring little plastic pellets down a tire stem balance a tire? Do they all march over to the lightest part and stick themselves to the rim?

How does pouring little plastic pellets down a tire stem balance a tire? Do they all march over to the lightest part and stick themselves to the rim?

Read the data sheets they have on them....sounds kooky, I was skeptical myself but after using them for so long and seeing so many others guys I ride with use them and have zero problems I'm convinced. Balancing a tire only works the first shot before treadwear comes into play, then it needs rebalanced to be truly balanced. That's supposed to be the theory behind the beads. They don't stick to the rim from what I've seen/heard. They move around the tire as needed to balance while moving. I can hear them when I push the bike w/ the engine off moving around in the tire. Unless you get a bunch of soap/water inside the tire to bind to the beads they should be fine.

Here - http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm

Last edited:
a quality set of spoons makes the job easy. breaking the bead is the hard part for me. i'm gonna look into one of those bead breakers. I've been using an altered c clamp. it works but it's a PITA.

That bead breaker will only open 5 5/8 inches so it won't work on our rear tires.

gmtech..that is some funny shizzle..."commence to destroying everything in site"...great line, man..2hip

My Harbor Freight tire changer is mounted to a piece of wood. It takes me about 10 minutes to get a wheel off the bike and another 5 to get the tire off the wheel. The right tools make it super easy. At the $25 per wheel my local shop charges my tire changer was paid for after 5 tires. Learning to do it the right way makes things really easy. The right tools make it even easier. The No-Mar system is more expensive, but a more convenient one than the HF solution.

And yes, Dyna Beads work. I use them in the FJR, and have taken all the weights off of the rims. You have to take the valve out to put them in without breaking the bead. 1 oz in the front tire, 2 oz in the rear.

Back