Is it Really this easy?

rc51ny

Donating Member
Registered
So, I've been following the thread started by "UncleSteve" about tire changers--but I didn't want to jack his thread. I've never changed my own motorcycle tires, but in order to save some cash I want to start. I found this clip and I'm just wondering if it really is as easy as this guy makes it look? I'm looking for some advise from you experienced changers. THANKS! Check this out:

- Tubeless Motorcycle Tire Change: Tire Changing[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends, getting it off using his method works fine. Getting the darn tire spooned back on is the worst part I find.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's always that LAST little bit that takes some work. Experience and the right tools makes the job go easier/faster. Don't like workin on the floor, but you need the leverage and thats the best way to get it. Just be prepared to "grunt" a lil' ...ugh!

At this point in my life, there are certain things I prefer to pay to have done: painting the house, for example. And mounting new tires. I worked in a service station as a kid, and changed enough tires back then to know. Plus, I'm afraid of buggering up my rims (don't ask).

The last tire I had changed, I took my new tire and wheel to a local chain tire store. They changed it free, and I tossed the tech a $10 spot for his trouble.

Can't beat that.

CW

I would say how strong is your back? LOL! It can be easy and some times it can be hard.

I always change my own tires. The local shop to me charged my friend $52.00!!! to do the rear. It does take some work, but when I get frustrated I just think of 450, and I calm down, and do it! Also my chrome wheels might make it a little easier.???

When you buy your tires on line from a discount warehouse in BF Egypt and take them to your local dealer who's rates are $75, don't whine about paying $52 to get a rear tire changed.

Just sayin! :whistle:

Most tire suppliers at the track sell tires very reasonable and mount them for free. You may want to look into that aspect?

For instance, I can purchase a set of BTO16's from the trackside vendor for $250 mounted. Good tires, good service and my money goes into the local economy!

When you buy your tires on line from a discount warehouse in BF Egypt and take them to your local dealer who's rates are $75, don't whine about paying $52 to get a rear tire changed.

Just sayin! :whistle:

Most tire suppliers at the track sell tires very reasonable and mount them for free. You may want to look into that aspect?

For instance, I can purchase a set of BTO16's from the trackside vendor for $250 mounted. Good tires, good service and my money goes into the local economy!

It does not harm to deside ourself where we put the savings....

250 for a rear.... that is 5 cents / mile.. just saying

On another thought, does anyone here use Dyna Beads??

CW stated above results are inconclusive....

But, I've been using them for 18 months now and couldn't be happier. No unsightly wheel weights, I've NEVER had even the slightest wobble or hop to my tires and I run them down to the very last bit of rubber before changing them (and some good speed mixed in, my throttle hand is by no means lazy :laugh:). They're environmentally friendly and can be reused....price ain't bad either, about $15 for the beads to do both tires and again, I reuse mine so it's been dirt cheap over several sets. :thumbsup:

Been changing my own for some time. Just bought a tire changer this year to help. Make sure you watch those rotors, they warp super easy.

I change my own and would never go back. The savings is well worth any time involved. Just take your time. I'm buying a changer this year to make it go quicker.

My dealer only charges $21.20, I wouldn't even take the wheel off for that, so I let them do it. I just give them the tire and they do the rest.

The clip editing has taken a lot of time out of that video. How hard it is completely depends on the tire. I've changed countless tires and it pretty much all comes down to the sidewall construction. A stiff/short sidewall = a b***h to install. Softer sidewalls make it quite a bit easier, but then you don't get the stability. As for what you decide to do. . . It depends on what's more important to you. Saving a few bucks or not having to deal with the aggravation.

a quality set of spoons makes the job easy. breaking the bead is the hard part for me. i'm gonna look into one of those bead breakers. I've been using an altered c clamp. it works but it's a PITA.

Back