is it really necessary?

killaessien

Registered
I am getting ready to store my bike for the winter and I am a little unsure about a few things..

what I will be doing
-storing inside my garage for only about 3 months (doesnt get super cold here either)
-filling gas tank and putting in stabilizer

unsure but will likely do
-in my owner manual it says to put new oil in as last thing to do and not start it after. Then it says when I want to take it out of storage to take that oil out and put new oil in again. is this necessary? if it is necessary, can i just put cheap oil (maybe even car oil) in it if guaranteed i will never start it until after i drain it again in the spring.
-can keep the oil i have in it now through the winter?
-is it 100% necessary to take the battery out and charge it every once in a while?
-if i do these things will it be ok or do i have to do more?

on a side note
i put 100% synthetic oil in bike for riding just because i want the best but if i put like semi synthetic to save a few bucks will it make a difference?

thanks you kindly :bigsmile:

Sorry I live in CA it's pretty much riding season year round I just change the oil and keep putting in gas and perform mantainance. someone here will know and you'll get more than enough info. :beerchug:

Buy a battery tender and keep it on the battery all the time. They come with a quick connect/disconnect. Install that for convenience.

Change the oil and not start it, yes. Your oil gets acidic contaminants in it when it circulates through the engine. Its not good to have it sitting in there for long periods of time. I haven't heard about changing the unused oil again in the spring.

Back