Is it possible to ride on the street in a prudent...

kml

Donating Member
Registered
...and safe manner that exceeds the grip provided by a modern sport touring tire such as a Michelin Pilot Road 2?

cheers
ken

Assumming that the pavement is in good condition and the weather is in your favor... No, I don't think so. Check with Fishhook for the pics of him on the PR2.

They hook up pretty good. Only moments I've had were due to pavement conditions. Mainly greasy, hot, oil/tar patches oozing up out of the chip-n-seal, and dirt on the pavement from field gates mid corner.
Great tires, think I'll get another set.

lean it over so the peg catches and the tire lifts off the ground. No patch contact, no grip :laugh:

to answer your question: Assuming the roads are in good condition - no.

Agree with the 'No' answer assuming roads are in good condition. It's a great tire but with the gravel put out to manage ice and snow in Colorado I've managed to lose grip a few times....which in turn has caused severe sphincter clinch on my part:laugh:

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread. It has engaged my beady little brain in gear :idea:

Unless we have been through a corner a few times, how do we know how much traction is available to us?

The type of aggregate in asphalt determines the grip factor. So how do YOU tell how much grip you have available?

Lets assume the roads are in good shape and they are dry with no tar snakes or gravel etc etc....
And I used the Michelin Pilot Road 2 as an example, the question applies to any high quality sport touring rubber.

cheers
ken

lean it over so the peg catches and the tire lifts off the ground. No patch contact, no grip :laugh:

to answer your question: Assuming the roads are in good condition - no.

:lol:

So that's why I removed those silly peg feelers underneath..... not a fun scenario to have happen...don't ask me how I know. Needed an underwear change :whistle: :laugh:

Alright let's assume the level of grip provided by a sport touring tire is the limiting factor to the speed traveled not available lean angle, weather or road surface.

cheers
ken

i think some people might be able to outride a sport touring tire but not if they are riding in a safe and prudent manner on the street...a rider can get a knee on the ground without having to worry about grip with quite a few of the tires available now...in my opinion, riding harder than that on the street is not acting in a prudent manner and is only asking for disaster to strike

I am going with Semi on this one. If you are out riding your tire to the point that it loses grip with the road, then you are not riding in a prudent and safe manner.

The Legal Definition of Prudent might be the one to worry about:
"Cautious and Judicious (exhibiting sound judgment) in all matters"

Doesn't sound like much Fun~! Sounds like something the PoPo has said to me.

Back