Is it normal for a kickstand to do this?

hey i wouldn't say it's normal but i had the exact same thing happen to mine diff mine is an 06 took awhile to figure out what was going on.the bracket is worn out,just so happened i found one on craigs list complete 15 bucks .

If it became lose and the bolt is what suffered most of the wear a new bolt might just get you by, if not a bushing or as suggested larger bolt. Best of luck. Pls no " My bike just fell in the garage threads "

The bolt is tight, that was my first thought, too.

I just found an entire kickstand assembly for $30. The guy builds modified Busas and seems to have a ton of stock parts listed on CL. I'll be passing through his area Tuesday and plan on picking it up.

You guys scared me...I'm leaving it up on the Redline stand until it's fixed! :laugh:

Are the kickstand and bracket the same on both the gen 1 and gen 2????

42310-24F00 kickstand and (42330-24F01 bracket) (the outdated part this replaces is 42330-24F00 BRACKET):whistle:

The # are the same for all, but the prices go up per year.:rulez:
Gurrera

yeah, the shop did this to my gs500 and when I took it back the next day( cause it was noticable to say the least) they said you can't bend the kickstand like that. it was probably the bearing going out... the bike was 11 months old. anyway, they didn't fix it and lost a TON of buisness from me and anyone I can tell about it **by the way, don't ever go to Xtreme Motorcycle group for service, they all suc. all the techs bounce around to the different shops ..honda, suz, yamaha. so none are safe.... ok, rant over

Glad you found a part...what would really suck is needing some acceleration but the stand just happens to decide to drop and it shuts off.....

ok denon..now im not at work and being goofy...looking at the video what you got is that the hole in the kickstand mount has been worn out and that is why when you wiggle it the bolt moves and pivits... if you take the bolt out and drop the kick stand you can get to the mounting bracket. from here two choices... pull the mounting bracket off and get to someone who has a drill press and drill a bigger hole. make a bushing that is the size of the drilled hole and id of the bolt. then have them wield it in. awww heck that alot of messing around...see if you can ebay a kickstand assembly.. washers wont help as its the mount hole that is wore out.

Picked up a kickstand today off an '06 with 1,000 miles on it for $30...problem solved! Hopefully no more shutting off every other time I hit a bump. Thanks for the suggestions!

kickstand 002.jpg

My 900RR had the same thing going on when i bought it, took the stand off and basically built the bracket up with weld and ground it down, was like new

My 900RR had the same thing going on when i bought it, took the stand off and basically built the bracket up with weld and ground it down, was like new

yep thats what was wrong with mine...the bolt, bolt hole, and lever were fine, but the bracket was worn away from rubbing. I'll have to heep this one lubed up.

The bolt is tight, that was my first thought, too.

I just found an entire kickstand assembly for $30. The guy builds modified Busas and seems to have a ton of stock parts listed on CL. I'll be passing through his area Tuesday and plan on picking it up.

You guys scared me...I'm leaving it up on the Redline stand until it's fixed! :laugh:

I see you met Pat, Ive gotten a few parts from him. Fortunatly he's like 10min up the road from me, darn handy:thumbsup:

Mine has a side-to-side play - maybe less than yours. As observed in your video, if you move your kickstand to the left - it only depresses the switch more, so this cannot cause the open circuit.

If the bike dies while you ride, how do you know it's from the kickstand switch?

If the kickstand really goes down too easily, check that you have two springs pulling the kickstand. Under normal conditions (both springs are present, and the kickstand is lubed), if you pull kickstand half way down and then release, it should quickly snap back into the upper positon.

The reason you have a period (LOL) when the kickstand is hard to move followed by a period when it's easy to move could be that some chain lubricant "likes" to come down the kickstand area. If it gets under the kickstand it lubricates it, and it is easy to move the kickstand. After a while, the lube travels further down the kickstand or dries up, leaving the upper kickstand area less lubricated. Try using heavy duty grease and see if this makes a consistent improvement. Actually, the maintenance chart shows that this point should be lubricated regularly.

Mine has a side-to-side play - maybe less than yours.

If the bike dies while you ride, how do you know it's from the kickstand switch?

If the kickstand really goes down too easily, check that you have two springs pulling the kickstand. Under normal conditions (both springs are present, and the kickstand is lubed), if you pull kickstand half way down and then release, it should quickly snap back into the upper positon.

Gurrera mentioned he has some play on his, too, but it wasn't as bad as mine. Even the new one wiggles a little...I guess minimal play is normal.

In my case it was the kickstand...I got used to tapping it back up with my heel while riding and the ignition would turn right back on. I forgot to mention both springs are there, but they keep popping out of the notches on the post and slide down (decreasing the tension). I think this was half my problem. Pretty much FUBAR!

Anyways, I got the new one on and it seems to work perfectly! I'll take your advice and try some HD grease to keep it this way. :beerchug:

Back