is Busa the right bike? hello from potential Busa rider!

henry-a

Registered
hi guys! i am trying to figure out if the Busa is the right bike for my requirements.

presently, i have an MV F4. i totally love it. but, it is bit temperamental. currently, it is broken down. tomorrow, i will have it shipped to the dealer. it sucks bad when i all geared up, go to garage, but the bike wouldn't start! it is worse when i have to lose any of the very limited riding days we get here in MN. so, i need to have a second bike that is close my F4 in fun factor!

i have the following requirements for my second bike:
- able to carry a pillion passenger reasonably well.
- able to do long distance cruising without feeling that i got beat up by mafia.
- that 'cool' factor!

i really dig the Busa. but, i haven't checked it out yet. hopefully, the local dealer would have one on the floor.

from the pictures, it appears that the bars are higher than F4 and the seat is pretty low. so, compared to F4, i am guessing the Busa would be very comfy.

thanks a lot for your responses.

cheers.
henry.

It meets or exceeds all of your requirements, and

:welcome: to the oRg. The Busa is highly reliable too........

I have never had an F4, but I have rode my 2007 Busa to the Dragon (Robbinsville, NC) 250+ miles twice, Panima City Florida 550+ miles twice, and Washington D.C. 750+ miles. Those are the main long trips and I am trying to plan a trip out west to see the country. I have made those same trips on a 2004 Honda Shadow and a 2006 Suzuki Katana, from my experience it really doesn't matter what your riding, when the gas light comes on your usually ready for a little butt rest.
I have put all 40,000 miles on my bike and I have never had any problems out of it. Cranks EVERYTIME with out any hesitation. Only thing that is not so good that I have to say is it is very cold collared, when it is cranked and the motor is cold I have to use the choke, but still not a problem it has never failed to start. Hope this helps

Last edited:
..... from my experience it really doesn't matter what your riding, when the gas light comes on your usually ready for a little butt rest.
....... Only thing that is not so good that I have to say is it is very cold collared, when it is cranked and the motor is cold I have to use the choke, but still not a problem it has never failed to start. Hope this helps

thanks guys.

actually, what you ride does matter for long distance; you probably know that. i attended the MotoGP event at Indy recently. i rode my F4. on the way, my friend carried my backpack on his cruiser. for the return trip home, i rode alone. so, had the bag shipped by UPS. just carried a light, small backpack with miscellaneous stuff like travel camera, netbook , etc.

i did take long breaks at every 100 miles or so (F4's range is short; got the light at about every 105 miles). i was really beat up! my back, butt and wrists were killing me! the bike's seat is hard; the suspension is hard. you are crouched really low and neck up! the riding posture is extremely aggressive!

so, i have decided that i wouldn't want to F4 for long distance trips. that's why, my second bike needs to be long distance-friendly.

interesting to know that the Busa has 'choke'; my MV has that as well. but, i never had to use it. i expect the Busa to be lot more reliable. it is hard to beat the japanese quality and reliability.

cheers.

:welcome::welcome:

Busa v F4? keep the F4 for the track days and get the busa for the street... :)

Based on your criteria, the busa cant be beat. The wife and love riding 2-up and she will run all day and feel good afterwards.

Attachments

• dragon.bmp
    706.3 KB · Views: 2,442
I was trying to be short and sweet but have taken a number of trips over weekends that exceeded 1000 miles. Not only is the Busa great on these trips, but like James mentioned; I've never gotten anything but high praises from those riding along about the back seat comfort of the Busa.

A couple years ago I traveled from home to Montgomery Alabama where I met Don and we continued on to Daphne Alabama to Dawn and Randy's with Sherry in the chase vehicle. It was a great trip. My finger tips were frozen that morning. It was only 38 degrees when I left the house, but that wasn't the Busa's fault, well not completely anyway :laugh:

Only thing that is not so good that I have to say is it is very cold collared, when it is cranked and the motor is cold I have to use the choke, but still not a problem it has never failed to start.

The cold starting is not an issue on 2008 and newer (Second Generation) Busas. There is no "choke" or high-idle knob on the new bikes. They may run a little rough for 20-ish seconds when cold, but they quickly settle into a nice, rumbling purr.

My wife loves to ride the Busa. It has a nice, big rear seat that has carried her hundreds of miles a day, sometimes for several consecutive days at the Busa Bash.

As for long distance riding, my 2008 Busa has never known a sub-300 mile day. The only mods I've done toward comfort were a Throttlemeister and a Puig Racing Screen. Both of those are luxuries more than necessities.

Cool factor? Come on, you're talking about the HAYABUSA! Everybody loves a Busa. It always draws lots of attention and questions. It's kinda funny how people treat it like some sort of mythical creature. And there's always the guy that says he'd kill himself on one of these things...

It really is a great bike, and I've loved every minute of owning it. :thumbsup:

IMG_0722.jpg

Last edited:
Heard a lot about F4 stator problems etc. Fab machine, but for that
kind of $ should be as reliable as a Busa. Heard of Busa owners 1999
with 70,000 miles, runs like nu, with very little maintenance.

:welcome: aboard ..... you can't escape now. The org has ahold of you & you can not escape. Consider it bought & paid for. Money VERY well spent. We'll be looking forward to pics of your new Busa anyday now :laugh:

:welcome: aboard ..... you can't escape now. The org has ahold of you & you can not escape. Consider it bought & paid for. Money VERY well spent. We'll be looking forward to pics of your new Busa anyday now :laugh:

He's right, you know... Don't forget to bring the pics. We have :rulez: about bringing the pics.

:welcome::welcome:

Busa v F4? keep the F4 for the track days and get the busa for the street... :)

actually, mr. bogus, i don't track! i am not ashamed to admit that i am too afraid to track! i tend to push myself in whatever i do. so, i would easily get carried away. that would be asking for it!

I was trying to be short and sweet but have taken a number of trips over weekends that exceeded 1000 miles. Not only is the Busa great on these trips, but like James mentioned; I've never gotten anything but high praises from those riding along about the back seat comfort of the Busa.

thanks, robert. sounds pretty good.

Back