Is Angeles Crest highway open

euroR

Registered
Ill be in LA riding 27 28 and wanted to go saturday to Angeles Crest from the back (15 Freeway), any word if its open to ride all the way to LA?

not looking too great up there at the moment, with the recent rains and all. I believe i read in one of the local reports that part of the road way collapsed as well.

Cut-and-pasted below from Forest Service site, maybe give it a try:
For information regarding any state highway or freeway in LA or Ventura counties call Caltrans Public/Media Affairs at 213-897-3656.

Thats a great run Dejan , if its open. You should also hit Mulholland hwy. Stop at the Rock store then take it to Tuna cyn down to PCH head west thru Malibu and stop at Neptunes Net for some great seafood. Keep going west to Lewis road and take it to Potrero rd. That takes you thru Hidden Valley to Decker cyn. Then its south back to Mulholland hwy.

Last edited:
If my memory serves me correctly, the LA end of theCrest dumps down into La Canada-Flintridge where they have had all the mudslides recently. Probably not a good idea....

Ill be in LA riding 27 28 and wanted to go saturday to Angeles Crest from the back (15 Freeway), any word if its open to ride all the way to LA?

I may doing a trip to our local mountains that weekend. I go to lake Gregory up the 18 toward Big Bear. I do not recommend ACH as it will be very dirty after all the mudslides.

Still up in the air but I will try to make one of those dates.
Bubba

Thats a great run Dejan , if its open. You should also hit Mulholland hwy. Stop at the Rock store then take it to Tuna cyn down to PCH head west thru Malibu and stop at Neptunes Net for some great seafood. Keep going west to Lewis road and take it to Potrero rd. That takes you thru Hidden Valley to Decker cyn. Then its south back to Mulholland hwy.

Oh thats the plan for Sunday, so if its close we may hit ortega or Palamar. My brother lives in Corona so its close to either one.

It did open late last year, i dont know about the rain or any recent damage but dont mention it too much, dont want evryone crowding it again and make it unrideable, (muscle cars, squids, scooters, squids, stunters, bicycle riders, gearless squids, more squids, squids on shorts...squids with thier girl wearing flip flops, and nevertheless, good ole CHIP, and more squidsss)

Oh thats the plan for Sunday, so if its close we may hit ortega or Palamar. My brother lives in Corona so its close to either one.

My suggestion is this, ditch the ACH altogether and plan to meet the SD hoons and plan an all day event with them. They do some of the best asphalt therapy any given weekend, and if all goes well I will be down there instead of doing the Big Bear run.

Just my 2 pennies, but I think the SD guys will totally agree with me on this.
Bubba

ohhh...big bear sounds nice though, havent been there since last year, love that mountain...and the setting is unbeatable ...

I have to agree with Bubba....i would suggest the same, get with the hoons, real riding and good long rides worthwhile. Ditch palomar too, to many people, crowded and idiots unless you go really early and LEO everywhere now specially on the 76, i live very close, only worth it during the week, IFFFF, Palomar gets really old and boring..., ortega is the same....BTW today i did a lil banner grade yaqui pass Montezuma (2x roundtrip)today along with s-2 s-22 etc etc :laugh::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
ohhh...big bear sounds nice though, havent been there since last year, love that mountain...and the setting is unbeatable ...

I have to agree with Bubba....i would suggest the same, get with the hoons, real riding and good long rides worthwhile. Ditch palomar too, to many people, crowded and idiots unless you go really early and LEO everywhere now specially on the 76, i live very close, only worth it during the week, if Palomar gets really old and boring..., ortega is the same....BTW i did a lil banner grade yaqui pass Montezuma (2x roundtrip)today along with s-2 s-22 etc etc :laugh::thumbsup::thumbsup:

+1000 on ditching Palamar, do the 74 from Hemet into Idyllwild or any number of road down there.

I did 500+ miles the first time I rode with these guys and the only regret is not living closer. Great riders and better people you will not meet soon.:beerchug:
Bubba

Go with Bubba's suggestion. Get a hold of some of the So Cal hoons and I will gurantee you that will turn you on to some great rides and with some begging they may just ride with you!! Have fun on your ride. :beerchug:

Back