Is a Hayabusa the right bike for me?

mangosmoothie

Registered
Hey guys, new member. Not sure where this belongs. Sorry if it's a wall of text.

I'm in the market for a new bike. Been riding for 7 years. Through that time I've had an EX500 (sold), '99 Speed Triple (still have), and '15 FJ09 (sold). Looking for a sport touring bike that's comfortable (relatively), powerful, and stable/confidence inspiring. I live in norther Arizona. Part of my riding will be super slabbing it 60 miles to the closest towns. It's a lot of not super smooth 2 lane roads which require quickly passing vehicles. I don't want a bike where I have to drop 3 gears worry about turning into a tank slapper when I crest a bump. The other part will be cross state trips up into Utah or down through AZ. I do like to hit the twisties but I'm not a back road warrior. I go my own pace and just do what's comfortable. So the bike doesn't have to be a cornering superstar, just as long as it's capable. I also appreciate stability in sweepers.

I drove down to a dealer yesterday and rode a Ninja 1000. Liked it well enough, but it wasn't all that exciting. Very smooth engine, pulled cleanly at any rpm. Very stable on acceleration. Rode a Duke GT and hated it. Didn't pull cleanly at lower rpm in higher gears, vibrated a lot, super touchy throttle. Also rode a new speed triple and really enjoyed it. It had torque everywhere, snapped my head back even at 3k rpms in 4th. But it wasn't very stable on throttle at higher speeds and really didn't blow me away compared to my '99.

So the hunt is still on and I'm considering a Busa. In my head it should have the smoothness and stability of the N1k, but I'd imagine it's a bit more exciting when you want it to be :) I also know there are plenty of luggage options for the 'busa so that's a plus.

I'll try to find a dealer with one I can test ride but I'll likely end up buying used. Any thoughts? Sound like a good bike for what I'm going for or way overkill?

Welcome!

You also might wanna check on that Pie situation but I will let that be up to @SSGT_B .....

I’m picking up my 3rd one next week.Had a ‘99 12 years ago and had a 2013 5 years back.Always loved them and I’m getting this one to keep....we’ll see.
The best bike I’ve owned for not needing down gearing for overtaking.Ive had fireblades,RSV4s,1290 sdr.The Busa pulls any gear any rpm.
They are heavy which is prob the downside for me at least.But I love the looks,love the acceleration and the brakes are sorted with a radial MC and SS lines.Not that much work or money tbh.Go for it I say:).

I’m picking up my 3rd one next week.Had a ‘99 12 years ago and had a 2013 5 years back.Always loved them and I’m getting this one to keep....we’ll see.
The best bike I’ve owned for not needing down gearing for overtaking.Ive had fireblades,RSV4s,1290 sdr.The Busa pulls any gear any rpm.
They are heavy which is prob the downside for me at least.But I love the looks,love the acceleration and the brakes are sorted with a radial MC and SS lines.Not that much work or money tbh.Go for it I say:).
+1 what he said.

My first bike was a 650 cc. I upgraded within to 2 weeks to a brand new 08 and havent been able to find another bike that I like as much as I liked my busas I had over the years. I test drove many many other bikes and always owned a second bike. The busa for me is a standart that is and will probably never be surpassed by any other bike on the market. Test drive her and you will buy one!

The busa is the best bike around. Is it fast, yup better believe it. It can be slow too, just change the mode selector and it becomes a sweet bike. Rides really smooth compared to liter bikes. Get on it, you don't feel like your going very fast, then you look at the MPH and go whaaattt!! 150 mph in seconds and I mean in about 4 or so seconds. By the time you breath in twice, you are sonic. Get that bike, you will never be sorry.

The busa is the best bike around. Is it fast, yup better believe it. It can be slow too, just change the mode selector and it becomes a sweet bike. Rides really smooth compared to liter bikes. Get on it, you don't feel like your going very fast, then you look at the MPH and go whaaattt!! 150 mph in seconds and I mean in about 4 or so seconds. By the time you breath in twice, you are sonic. Get that bike, you will never be sorry.
Whats slow.....and most of all whats a mode selector?:poke:

I started off on the busa and only been riding since last year. So I can’t really compare it to much else other than random other peoples bikes I’ve rode once for just a few minutes.
that said.... I hated my busa at city speed/gear. Throttle seemed touchy and after letting off it completely and goin back on it seemed no matter how slow or smooth I did it it had this jerk.
was something to do the injectors shitting off completely when you let off the throttle and some secondary something or others not opening up very quick.
sent the ecu off to be flashed and viola...
It was night and day difference. Smooth as butter.
added helibars a saddleman seat and I have no issues taking it straight from my place in sw Ohio to see friends in n Tennessee.
very little vibration. Pulls smoothly in all gears. Even in 6th at 65mph it has plenty of power on tap to pass without droppin down.
again I’ve only been on a bike for a year an don’t really know wtf I’m talkin about but I have zero complaints and never get off the bike thinking “man that sucked”

I found a '16 with 3k miles at a dealer. Emailing about it now.

I'd imagine putting it in C mode or whatever would nerf it down for city riding? My FJ09 had the absolute worst throttle. It was an on/off switch and jerky as hell. And running it in rain mode left it under powered. I think the Busa will still be plenty quick in city traffic in C mode. Guess I'll find out if I can schedule a ride next weekend.

One complaint I'm reading is heat? Does the busa burn your leg?

I found a '16 with 3k miles at a dealer. Emailing about it now.

I'd imagine putting it in C mode or whatever would nerf it down for city riding? My FJ09 had the absolute worst throttle. It was an on/off switch and jerky as hell. And running it in rain mode left it under powered. I think the Busa will still be plenty quick in city traffic in C mode. Guess I'll find out if I can schedule a ride next weekend.

One complaint I'm reading is heat? Does the busa burn your leg?

You don't need the modes. Even in rain its not necessary.It is all in your right wrist. The busa has such a smooth and linear torque especially in lower rpms. Best thing to get which makes a huge difference is a ECU flash. That makes the throttle even more smooth and responsive!
Busa wont burn your leg at all...and assuming you wear full protective gear at all times - it will only get really warm under your nutz as almost 1400 cc produce a bit of heat!

How much do they ask for at the dealer for the 16?

+1 what he said.

My first bike was a 650 cc. I upgraded within to 2 weeks to a brand new 08 and havent been able to find another bike that I like as much as I liked my busas I had over the years. I test drove many many other bikes and always owned a second bike. The busa for me is a standart that is and will probably never be surpassed by any other bike on the market. Test drive her and you will buy one!
Similar to my story.I had a Virago 535 for 2 months.Wanted something faster.Traded it for a ‘99 Bus.Been all fast bikes since then.
Suzuki always claimed it to be the ultimate sport machine and it is in a way.Some label it as a sports tourer but I don’t see that.Its a big and super fast sport bike plain and simple.

Similar to my story.I had a Virago 535 for 2 months.Wanted something faster.Traded it for a ‘99 Bus.Been all fast bikes since then.
Suzuki always claimed it to be the ultimate sport machine and it is in a way.Some label it as a sports tourer but I don’t see that.Its a big and super fast sport bike plain and simple.
I agree. I put quite a few "touring" parts on it over the years as I like to do long distance rides as well. But nontheless - she is a big and superfast sport bike!

I agree. I put quite a few "touring" parts on it over the years as I like to do long distance rides as well. But nontheless - she is a big and superfast sport bike!
Ya she’s definitely more suited to touring that say a litre bike.
I found over the years guys that never rode one tend to think it’s a comfy tourer.
I guess that’s what I’m getting at.Its about 10-15% comfier than a litre machine but it is more suited to touring than one.

Ya she’s definitely more suited to touring that say a litre bike.
I found over the years guys that never rode one tend to think it’s a comfy tourer.
I guess that’s what I’m getting at.Its about 10-15% comfier than a litre machine but it is more suited to touring than one.
true. especially if you are taller or a bigger guy it makes much more sense in terms of comfort. Everytime when I switch from a busa to a litre bike it feels like I am riding a bicyle :-).

You don't need the modes. Even in rain its not necessary.It is all in your right wrist. The busa has such a smooth and linear torque especially in lower rpms. Best thing to get which makes a huge difference is a ECU flash. That makes the throttle even more smooth and responsive!
Busa wont burn your leg at all...and assuming you wear full protective gear at all times - it will only get really warm under your nutz as almost 1400 cc produce a bit of heat!

How much do they ask for at the dealer for the 16?

They're asking 11,500. So let me start off by saying I really don't mind paying a bit more at a dealer for convenience. I live in the middle of nowhere, not really close to any DMV's. I don't have to worry about cash deals with strangers, and I don't have to worry about titles getting signed correctly, etc.

Found this thread. 2019 pricing? | Gen II Busa Information 11,500 seems high, but it looks like it has an aftermarket seat. Nada says avg retail is 10,650. So somewhere around 10 sounds good?

true. especially if you are taller or a bigger guy it makes much more sense in terms of comfort. Everytime when I switch from a busa to a litre bike it feels like I am riding a bicyle :-).
Haha.Can’t argue with that.I have a litre right now which I’m keeping so the bus is gonna seem big but can’t wait for that ‘Busa rushh’:race:

yeah, as you might be thinking now, after reading the above, this bike can be a little bit of everything. My 14 is my touring choice despite being lowered in the front by the prev owner, and down-1-tooth front sprocket by me. Because: Canyons, which is why I tour anyway. Otherwise riding position is stock (except the riser used to lower the front). I'm 5'8, 185 lbs and almost 65 yrs old.

I looked at the same bikes as you (ZX14), also owned the EX500, an FJ6R and the FZ1 (and a few Hondas probably before you were born) - and knew the instant I sat on the Busa it was the bike I wanted. Had never ridden anything that large in my life. Yes, it took some getting used to (throttle response, weight) but now, 18 months later, the bike is still presenting a learning curve, and for me, that was the point. And it's true, you don't ever HAVE to downshift. But you will.

My advice is the same as Mr Brown's. Buy one, then you'll know. And if you do, keep in mind the secondary fuel injectors open around 5k rpm. It's one type of bike up to 5k on the tach, a completely diff one thereafter.

Good luck with the purchase!

Back