Is $6000 too much for a modded 99 busa?

PGT0031

Registered
I've been looking for the longest time for a hayabusa but I think I finally found it on craigslist. It's a 1999 with 6,000 miles and has an extended swingarm, nos, air shifter, cams, full exhaust and much more. I closed out the page so if I find it i'll edit this post and include the posting. The only think I wish it had was a shorter swing arm, but I can change that. I love everything about it. The frame is even polished just like my zx :) I have some money saved up so it's either this or fix my shifter forks in my zx11. 6 grand is a lot of money for a 16 year old bike and I could probably pick up a super blackbird for half of that. I'm hoping the busa will be a huge upgrade to the zx11 since I won't have to worry about carbs any more :D My only concern with it is that it may be too powerful since my current bike dyno'd at 140ish rwhp and that blows my mind. not sure what i would do with 200+

i wouldnt give 6k for it maybe 4 but thats about it

Found the ad. I don't want to insult the guy with a lowball offer but I'd be beyond happy if I can get him down to the 4500 dollar range. It really seems like there is a lot of money invested in this bike.
aXXsxJ.png

So if it was stock, it would typically go for $3500-$4000, right? There is a guy selling his 2000 hayabusa for 8k so i'm not even going to bother with him since we are way to far away.

personally I would stay away from that one, even if he HAS all the receipts to prove the engine work "I'm sure he says its been babied" . Its a 16 year bike with a very impressive mod list that's for sure. few questions I would ask him is has the fuel pump been modded or replaced? when was the last time the fuel filters MORE then one been changed or cleaned? Same for fuel hoses. Throttle body been sync'd? What about 2nd gear has it been undercut if so by who??

if he has GOOD SOLID info with these questions ask him to remove the fairing and REALLY give the bike a look over bring a flash light. IF he has PROBLEMS or ISSUSE with the info you're asking for then YOU should have the same with your hard earned cash. DONT fall in love with the mods and BLING. Make sure the bike is mechanically solid then you can add the other stuff later.

if somebody telling you something, you might want to listen because they've probably lived it or know someone who has.

personally I would stay away from that one, even if he HAS all the receipts to prove the engine work "I'm sure he says its been babied" . Its a 16 year bike with a very impressive mod list that's for sure. few questions I would ask him is has the fuel pump been modded or replaced? when was the last time the fuel filters MORE then one been changed or cleaned? Same for fuel hoses. Throttle body been sync'd? What about 2nd gear has it been undercut if so by who??

if he has GOOD SOLID info with these questions ask him to remove the fairing and REALLY give the bike a look over bring a flash light. IF he has PROBLEMS or ISSUSE with the info you're asking for then YOU should have the same with your hard earned cash. DONT fall in love with the mods and BLING. Make sure the bike is mechanically solid then you can add the other stuff later.

if somebody telling you something, you might want to listen because they've probably lived it or know someone who has.

I really appreciate that advice. I will defiantly use it to my advantage.

I fell in love with the mod list with my current bike and that has set me back pretty far. It was set up in drag racing spec so it ran terrible on the streets. The big bore kit made it terrible around town and now the shifter fork has gone bad and the 2nd gear has been cut and all it does is pop out. It took a ton of carb work so now it's semi street-able. The guy who I had work on my carbs drag raced hayabusa and he couldn't say enough good things about them. Hopefully despite the mods, it will still be reliable unlike my kawasaki.

Now I really understand why people always look for bone stock bikes when they buy one.

judging from the pics that is not an extended swing arm. It has extenders on the stock arm. The seat is aftermarket. Very hard to verify engine mods...no receipt for the work no mods is my opinion. And i agree if the 2nd gear hasnt been done stay away for sure. Thats a pricey little fix.

I would not spend $6500 for it when you can get a nice gen II for about $500-1000 more.

I would not spend $6500 for it when you can get a nice gen II for about $500-1000 more.

Personally, I'm in love with the 1st gen, un restricted models. I love the color scheme and the cool factor about them. I'm not a fan of the gen II styling. The only other one I would consider is the blue and gold gen II. The first gens seem more raw. I know anything first gens are probably more problematic but that's part of the fun!

I would buy an '03 or later as by '03 Suzuki had fixed the bendy aluminum sub frame, the clogging fuel filters, the cam chain problems and the starter gear issues. The '03 and later also have the 32 bit upgraded ECU.

Here's a list;

From Suzuki + Haynes manuals:

1999 (GSX1300R-X) - 1st model year.

2000 (GSX1300R-Y):
- Crankcase breather arrangement changed - no oil catch tank + larger breather housing; resulting in a smaller oil capacity.
-Clutch spring length + spring support bolt length increased.
- Fuel feed + return hoses changed + re-routed. Design of fuel level sensor + low level warning switch changed.

2001 (GSX1300R-K1):
- Cam chain tensioner design changed along with its housing to allow reception of oil from the front passage in the crankcase.
- Fuel pump moved inside the tank, incorporating the fuel filter and pressure regulator as well as a mesh strainer and a new fuel level sensor and low level warning switch. Having the pressure regulator inside the tank eliminated the need of the fuel return hose from the delivery rail on the throttle bodies, with the consequence being that the supply hose and fuel delivery rail arrangement was changed.

2002 (GSX1300R-K2):
- Clutch plate arrangement modified to incorporate an anti-rattle spring and spring seat. Clutch release cylinder piston and bore were reduced in diameter.
- Exhaust system incorporates an oxygen sensor which communicated with the ECM to reduce emission levels. To do this, the PAIR system control valve is triggered by a solenoid that is controlled by the ECM.

2003 (GSX1300R-K3):
- Incorporated a torque limiter on the motor idle/reduction gear train to dampen initial torque and reduce stress on individual components.

2004 (GSX1300R-K4):
- No significant changes.

2005 (GSX1300R-K5):
- Headlight electronically turned off during engine start to reduce battery load.
- Graphite LE edition made just slightly faster than other editions.
- First year of clear plastic front turn signals.

2006 (GSX1300R-K6):
- No significant changes.

cheers
ken

I just emailed the seller and he said that this shop called Powerhouse in New York did all the work (including the 2nd gear undercut) and apparently they only work on hayabusas. He said the fuel pump was replaced last year, oil was changed every 2500 miles and it was never tracked. I'm feeling very good about this bike. I have a feeling that he is firm on this price. He said he bought it off an older gentlemen which was the original owner.

Have any of you guys heard of that company in Ny? The only one I've heard of which was really good was action cycle in ny.

Powerhouse is a sponsor here and no he doesn't work only on Hayabusas. Contact Frank@ Powerhouse and if he worked on it he can give you the details on that bike.

Have any of you guys heard of that company in Ny? The only one I've heard of which was really good was action cycle in ny.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: Has anyone heard of Powerhouse? :rofl:

Just to give you an idea, I sold my 06 with custom seat (orig also) , Yosh Pipes (orig also), custom hand controls (orig also), TLR foot pegs (orig also) for comfort, Steel Braided Brake lines (along with orig) and more for $5,000 in 2014. So Yeah, 6 Grand sounds HIGH to me !

6500, is a little much got a used gen 1. i paid 3500 and 1200 for my too 05's but they where salveged.

Have any of you guys heard of that company in Ny? The only one I've heard of which was really good was action cycle in ny.

:laugh: Has anyone heard of Powerhouse? :rofl:[/QUOTE]

haha yea I know, I should've done a little more researching before I commented.
Just to give you an idea, I sold my 06 with custom seat (orig also) , Yosh Pipes (orig also), custom hand controls (orig also), TLR foot pegs (orig also) for comfort, Steel Braided Brake lines (along with orig) and more for $5,000 in 2014. So Yeah, 6 Grand sounds HIGH to me !

It seems that most busas are generally in the same price bracket for the 1st gen models. I feel like if the seller of the 1999 took care of all the problems that they had from the factory, it's fair game as the other ones. For an example, the bike I have had an oil starvation issue which was addressed in in later model years but the previous owner did a some kind of bypass which corrected the issue. I understand how the gen II are more refined but I will always love the tail of the gen 1s. Even though for a few thousand dollars more I can get a newer model, I'm really need to budget my money and those thousand dollars is a lot to me. It is nice that this bike has all the mods done so all I have to do is worry about riding it. I don't need anther bike, I just want a hayabusa really badly. The guy lowered his price to $5900 so I have some hope still. I just bought a brand new Suzuki in January :)

I hope I'm not justifying a bad investment lol

It seems that most busas are generally in the same price bracket for the 1st gen models. I feel like if the seller of the 1999 took care of all the problems that they had from the factory, it's fair game as the other ones. For an example, the bike I have had an oil starvation issue which was addressed in in later model years but the previous owner did a some kind of bypass which corrected the issue. I understand how the gen II are more refined but I will always love the tail of the gen 1s. Even though for a few thousand dollars more I can get a newer model, I'm really need to budget my money and those thousand dollars is a lot to me. It is nice that this bike has all the mods done so all I have to do is worry about riding it. I don't need anther bike, I just want a hayabusa really badly. The guy lowered his price to $5900 so I have some hope still. I just bought a brand new Suzuki in January :)

I hope I'm not justifying a bad investment lol

Where are you located?

What New Suzuki did you buy?

Where are you located?

What New Suzuki did you buy?

New Jersey. Picked up a 2015 DR-Z400SM. I love that bike so much. I didn't own it for less than 48 hours before I had a full, custom made exahust on order haha. 2 months after that I picked up a 05' Dr200.

I almost bought a new hayabusa since they had a crazy good deal on one and amazing financing rates but the insurance would be through the roof since the rates don't go down until I'm over 25. I'm getting there. At least with a used busa, I can pay it in full and don't have to insure it fully. I financed the drz to build more credit.

Your getting some awesome advise here from a lot of knowledgeable folks. BUT its sounds to me like YOUR mind is made up on the purchase of this bike. at the end of the day its your money do what you want with it. (my gut feeling is you'll be back within 2 months asking questions on How To fix this or replace that, I REALLY and TRULY hope NOT )and wish you nothing but the best of luck with the bike.

But like I said earlier personally I would STAY AWAY and look for a newer bike with a after market exhaust and fewer engine mods. (I've always been under the impression that whenever you buy a bike mod'd such as this one, be PREPARED to open the wallet MUCH MUCH SOONER rather than later.

my 2 cent

Back