Is $6000 too much for a modded 99 busa?

^^^^^ That's exactly what I was thinking. Best of luck to you. Hope you enjoy your new bike.

Your getting some awesome advise here from a lot of knowledgeable folks. BUT its sounds to me like YOUR mind is made up on the purchase of this bike. at the end of the day its your money do what you want with it. (my gut feeling is you'll be back within 2 months asking questions on How To fix this or replace that, I REALLY and TRULY hope NOT )and wish you nothing but the best of luck with the bike.

But like I said earlier personally I would STAY AWAY and look for a newer bike with a after market exhaust and fewer engine mods. (I've always been under the impression that whenever you buy a bike mod'd such as this one, be PREPARED to open the wallet MUCH MUCH SOONER rather than later.

my 2 cent

Believe me, I'm trying to talk myself out of it as well. I really value everyone's input. I'm no stranger to old bikes. I have a 1985 honda V65 sabre and instead of wasting money on parts on it, I bought a wrecked sabre from the insurance auction for $200 and I've been parting it out and inventorying the parts for when something breaks on mine. This actually worked so well. I was thinking I could always find a wrecked busa and do the same if it ever comes to that. the only issue is when people wreck these bikes, they're usually in a 100mph+ crashes and no parts are usable.

So is it just general stuff that usually goes wrong on the early model hayabusas or is it usually a surprise? I wouldn't mind doing the proper preventive maintenance to make sure nothing does go wrong. The only think I don't like about this bike is that it has nos and from my experience, nothing comes good out of it. even if the timing is off just a little bit, it can be catastrophic.

Believe me, I'm trying to talk myself out of it as well. I really value everyone's input. I'm no stranger to old bikes. I have a 1985 honda V65 sabre and instead of wasting money on parts on it, I bought a wrecked sabre from the insurance auction for $200 and I've been parting it out and inventorying the parts for when something breaks on mine. This actually worked so well. I was thinking I could always find a wrecked busa and do the same if it ever comes to that. the only issue is when people wreck these bikes, they're usually in a 100mph+ crashes and no parts are usable.

So is it just general stuff that usually goes wrong on the early model hayabusas or is it usually a surprise? I wouldn't mind doing the proper preventive maintenance to make sure nothing does go wrong. The only think I don't like about this bike is that it has nos and from my experience, nothing comes good out of it. even if the timing is off just a little bit, it can be catastrophic.

The seller either is misinformed or is deliberately mis-representing this bike. In 2006, this bike made 228 rwhp on our dyno, it does not have cams, and has a 50 shot on it. It was previously owned by a 65 year old man who didn't beat the snot out of it, although he did go to Englishtown a few times. This bike was toured more than romped on, our customer was from a local club that did a lot of runs upstate. It was in great shape and well-maintained when he had it. I don't know what the second owner did, or anything about the bike since the first owner. If it is still in good shape, 6 would not be a bad price, 5 would be better . . .:laugh:

The seller either is misinformed or is deliberately mis-representing this bike. In 2006, this bike made 228 rwhp on our dyno, it does not have cams, and has a 50 shot on it. It was previously owned by a 65 year old man who didn't beat the snot out of it, although he did go to Englishtown a few times. This bike was toured more than romped on, our customer was from a local club that did a lot of runs upstate. It was in great shape and well-maintained when he had it. I don't know what the second owner did, or anything about the bike since the first owner. If it is still in good shape, 6 would not be a bad price, 5 would be better . . .:laugh:

:bowdown:

Thank you so much for this information. Yea in the email he said, "I bought it from aguy 73 years old" so this is definitely the same bike. If I do go see this bike, I'll just ask him if he has any receipts of the cams. I'm glad to know it was taken care of. Hopefully the 2nd owner continued taking care of it in the mean time.

Once again, thank you very much for the verification and info :thumbsup:

Hmm I just asked the guy about the cams and he said the pervious owner had them installed at powerhouse. I'm hoping he's misinformed and not just lying to get more money out of the bike

Hmm I just asked the guy about the cams and he said the pervious owner had them installed at powerhouse. I'm hoping he's misinformed and not just lying to get more money out of the bike
Tell him you spoke with a frank and he said no cams were done and if he doesn't want to lower the price I would be walking away.

Personally I don't like the fact it has nitrous and an extended swing arm, just suggests to me that it has been beaten on. I would steer clear...

He got back to me and said, "I have it at 5900 for just the bike witch I think is a respectable price. I still have the print out of the specifics about the bike the previous owner had when it was for sale at powerhouse. it says 80 shot but I really wouldn't now the difference between the two. I was told frank did all the work including the cams but I never went as fare to ask."

I'm assuming whoever is in charge of listing it for sale at powerhouse made a little mistake. I think I might wait it out and see if the price comes down. I doubt he will budge despite the bike not having aftermarket cams.

Have you looked at or been looking for any other bikes?

You seem to be stuck on this one.

Most of us agree that an 03 and up is the way to go.
There are deals out there if you look.

Personally I would rather have a bike with a stock engine as I think they are more reliable in most cases.
Then IF you really want to do engine work to it, at least you would know exactly what was going into it.

If you are not planning on racing it and just riding it on the street then must guys will be happy
with what a stock Busa can do. How fast do you really want or need to go?

But it's your money and your decision. Good Luck.

Have you looked at or been looking for any other bikes?

You seem to be stuck on this one.

Most of us agree that an 03 and up is the way to go.
There are deals out there if you look.

Personally I would rather have a bike with a stock engine as I think they are more reliable in most cases.
Then IF you really want to do engine work to it, at least you would know exactly what was going into it.

If you are not planning on racing it and just riding it on the street then must guys will be happy
with what a stock Busa can do. How fast do you really want or need to go?

But it's your money and your decision. Good Luck.

I have been looking every day. There were some other nice ones but they were way too far away. I feel like the 99 that I'm nuts over is so appealing to me is because of the appearance and mods (which is a bad thing). I know I could probably find someone to polish a hayabusa's frame and invest thousands into it but i REALLY like the idea of a bike that's all done up which I can just focus on maintenance and no mods. This bike seems so fitting to my taste. If I owned a hayabusa All i would want is chrome wheels, polished forks, swing arm and frame. A header back exhaust would be nice but I can assume that would be pricy. I wouldn't mind an air shifter either. The busa is fast enough so I would be perfectly fine with a stock engine. I really like all the extra goodies this bike has to offer.

I found this one which is very nice but it would set me back a lot more money since I would change a few things as I listed above. 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R

This is really nice as well but I would guarantee that I would kill myself on it. Maybe my 2nd busa can be like this lol 2002 TURBO HAYABUSA

"Suzuki Hayabusa | eBay"

Same bike on ebay being advertised with 46k miles.

wow, nice find! he probably put one too many zeros. he told me 4600 miles in an email. Too bad it isn't reserved not met. I might throw a bid down and see how it goes. thanks again

edit: yea in this description he said 4k miles. "Suzuki Hayabusa | eBay " he also says in this bike description that it has built in speakers.... i really don't like that. hopefully they're hidden and removable

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to give you heads up, you can reset the miles on the Hayabusa. It's hard for me to believe that bike only has 4600 miles on it

Just to give you heads up, you can reset the miles on the Hayabusa. It's hard for me to believe that bike only has 4600 miles on it

As of September 20, 2005, that bike had 23,271 miles. I know, I inspected it. No cams, but a good-running, well-maintained bike (first owner). Last we saw this bike was in December, 2012. . .:laugh:

Have you seen the bike in person? 46K miles with nitrous. Oh no... My advice to you is be patient, look elsewhere, and find a stock or slightly modded busa stock wheelbase and learn the bike for what it is then mod it to your likings. Something seems to me not right about the ad. Scam? Don't know but I get a bad feeling about the whole thing. Just my $.02.

Oh no. Yea, This thing seems like a total scam. I think I really need to walk away on this one. I always try and avoid roll back odometers. Every ad this guy posts, the millage is different. I don't know if his grammar is beyond terrible or trying to be sneaky. Not sure why he told me 4600 miles. I might still give him a call. It kills me to walk away on such a nice bike. I guess I have to enjoy what I have and keep looking. Thanks everyone.

For reference I sold an immaculate '05 (which is a much better year, equipment wise) Busa with bolt ons and 11k miles for $5800 just a couple months ago. There is a really really clean but higher miled 2001 on my local Craigslist right now for $4k. (Suzuki Hayabusa)

Be patient, there will always be a better deal somewhere. These bikes are getting to be 10-15 years old and it's becoming increasingly harder to find a nice one.

For reference I sold an immaculate '05 (which is a much better year, equipment wise) Busa with bolt ons and 11k miles for $5800 just a couple months ago. There is a really really clean but higher miled 2001 on my local Craigslist right now for $4k. (Suzuki Hayabusa)

Be patient, there will always be a better deal somewhere. These bikes are getting to be 10-15 years old and it's becoming increasingly harder to find a nice one.

If that bike wasn't half way across the country for me, I would totally go and check it out.

So how do these bikes handle high miles? I almost bought a blackbird last year with 66k miles.

I would have no qualms about buying a stock or near stock bike with high miles. The ones that make me weary are the ones with higher miles and several owners.

Paid more for my 1999 , no nitrous. 8000 original verified miles. More than twice the bike value in upgrades, however....

I agree the early busa's are not worth the hassle in fueling and starter related issues.

Back