Iron Butt Ride

wingman1100

Registered
I'm planning an Iron Butt ride this summer and was originally going to use my Honda Gl1100 Goldwing. Since I bought my Busa I was thinking of using my 2000 Busa for the 24 hour, 1600 KM ride.

Has anyone here done an Iron Butt on a Busa? Can the middle aged, human back take up to 24 hours hunched over in the cockpit of a Busa at highway speed?

Am I crazy or just excited about my new bike?

Thanks for your comments.

race.gif

longest non stop rode trip I've been on with the busa was to Dallas and back in one day. around a 700 mile trip my back was fine but my butt... well
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
( it really wasn't so bad) we plan to do it again soon.

wow.gif

wow.gif

Might need to do a 1 and a half inchm lift on the bars! Helibars etc....Would make it better on comfort for a long haul without twisties!

Good luck on the iron butt!

I've gone 861 miles in one day, from Atlanta to Houston. Then again... my Hayabusa has electronic Cruise Control!!

DaCol. has done some huge rides on his busa.... He has his iron butt certifications....

Did 350miles my first weekend with my new Busa a month ago and wished I had a throttle lock. Probably go with a Throttel Meister. http://www.throttlemeister.com/

Back was fine seamed when I was cruising along the air pressure on my chest at speed (75mph) actually made the bike more comfortable than around town. Personal perception there probably.

Forgot to mention the Pashnit.com guy did 1200miles on his the other day. Search the board.

(wingman1100 @ Jun. 13 2007,22:07) I'm planning an Iron Butt ride this summer and was originally going to use my Honda Gl1100 Goldwing.   Since I bought my Busa I was thinking of using my 2000 Busa for the 24 hour, 1600 KM ride.  

Has anyone here done an Iron Butt on a Busa?  Can the middle aged, human back take up to 24 hours hunched over in the cockpit of a Busa at highway speed?

Am I crazy or just excited about my new bike?

Thanks for your comments.

race.gif
The iron butt ride on the Busa isn't that bad. You need to get some sort of cruise control on it though. I also have 1 1/2" bar risers and the TL pegs which help out my middle age back. For the long rides, I wear compresion pants under my leathers for additional comfort.

I've done the Saddle Sore (1000 in 24 (actually 18hr 5 min)  and the 1500 miler in 36 hr (my time 26 1/2 hrs) . And I do the Rallys in Texas,  Ark. and Utah, which I generally put in 1200 + miles in 24  ! And I'll be 59 in a couple of months and plan on later this year doing a Border to Border run. Just make yourself comfortable, RELAX and DON'T try to ride like your hair is on FIRE
firedevil.gif
. You make your time by limiting your stopping/eating times, NOT by speeding  
race.gif
. For me I added Helibars, lowered the pegs and changed the seat for more comfort. Use a tank bag, fill it with anything and lean against it while your riding. You'll just about go to sleep it's so comfy
tounge.gif
.  You can do it, most is just in your HEAD, and if you plan correctly it's not as dificult as it may seem. As long as that's what you want to do ! If you've got any questions just PM me and I'll get back with Ya  
beerchug.gif

Thanks for all of the advice guys. This is great help!
I know the Busa can do it and I'm sure I can as well.

How does one go about lowering the pegs on a Busa?
I could use a little extra room for the legs for a longer drive.

I already use my tank bag to lean on while driving and it is very comfortable to ride this way.

Has anyone tried the convertiBARS for the Busa?

Hey no problem I just got back from vegas to eatonville Wa. run and hit Zion park along the way we did 21 hours on the bike It was a but long for seat time but totally a doable thing
Dont sweet it just ride brother ride !!!!
beerchug.gif

As far as the pegs go, there are two easy and basic ways. The first (which I did) is to put on Suz TL1000R pegs (a direct swap) and second is the Harley Davison Buell pegs. The TL pegs drop your foot about 1/2 inch with the Buell dropping them about 1 1/2" . Why, well the Buell has a downward arm which lowers the foot rest from the attaching point. Do a search (SEARCH BUTTON) on Buell pegs and you'll see  
SHOCKED.gif
what I'am talking about. I found the TL pegs worked fine for me, others like the Buell.
Next, I would be careful on changing the bars if you don't know someone who has done them and you can go try them out. Glen-Mars and Helibars (my choice) are by the vast margin the choice on here. Changing bars means changing hand positions, which inturn changes seating position, wrist position and arm position. And that's not including possible turning problems from hitting the fairing or windscreen. Just an opinion. Also I didn't mention this, but I also use Throttlemeister as a cruise lock. It does wonders for the long straight roads, but I wouldn't use them in-around or anywhere near a town or traffic area. This would include places where animals (cows, deer, buffalo and for you Bears) can cross the road. Your reaction time will be about 5 sec longer than with your hand doing the throttle work.

REMEMBER HAVE FUN  
beerchug.gif

Spend extra time hydrating during the night while resting for the next day.
This will cut your need for drinking and bathroom breaks down significantly.
Not saying don't drink during the day, but if you do this, you will feel less thirsty and dehydrated during valuable riding time.
Another thing is keep your credit/debit card very accessable for 2:00 minute fill ups....toll money.
The less you have to pull the gloves off and dig for stuff the better.
Avoid cities. Nothing like killing your time like getting caught in a major construction project or rush hour in the middle of a city. Plan your checkpoints through cities during off times, ie. 10AM, 2-3PM, 9PM-4AM
BRING SOME SORT OF FLAT REPAIR SYSTEM, slime, mini-compressor.
The riding is the easiest part. That's just a personal mind test. It's all those little things that can put you behind schedule that will determine your success.
GOOD LUCK man!

Iron Butt 1993 Yamaha FZR600.
Keene, NH to Key Largo, FL in 22:45:00 1620 miles
Key Largo FL to El Paso, TX in 26:30:00 1910 miles

This site will help you immensly:
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/about.cfm

ibalogo2.gif

Back