iPhone Tethering Without Jailbreaking

SKINN

Donating Member
Registered
iPhone Tethering Without Jailbreaking

If you’re anything like me you’re not willing to Jailbreak your iPhone for the opportunity to tether the device to your computer for go any where Internet surfing. Additionally, the folks at iPhone-Dev have yet to figure out how to Jailbreak the iPhone 3GS, although word on the street is that it’s coming any day now.

Well, fortunately there is a work around that requires no Jailbreaking or messy hacking to Tether it up. Just follow the below instructions and you’ll be tethering with your iPhone 3GS or 3G running iPhone 3.0 software in no time flat.

Point your iPhone’s browser to help.benm.at

Scroll down to the blue button that says “Mobileconfigs’ and click it
Next select your country

Then choose your carrier

You’ll then be prompted with a profile install which you should do
Once that is complete click the iPhone’s Home button>Settings>General>Network>Internet Tethering>On

Select USB or Bluetooth (I choose USB)

Then plug your iPhone into your computer

Those on Macs, your Network settings screen should automatically pop up under system preferences

Select the iPhone (called Ethernet Adapter (en2) ) and the system will configure the DHCP info accordingly (this will probably happen after you click apply) and click Apply

Surf the net!

Note, we still don’t know what kind of action AT&T will take against those who perform heavy Internet surfing on a tethered iPhone, or any tethered iPhone as it’s completely unsanctioned and may either break the contractual terms or cost you some serious dough.

Update: Many people seem to be having trouble getting this to work. If you’d like some help please email info [at] gadgetreview.com.

Update 2: A German iPhone user on T-Mobile just wrote in and said this is what he/she had to do to get it working: “you have to install the mobile config, restart, delete the config, install the config, restart and then you can use it!â€. Interesting that you should have to install it twice, but who knows and if it works so be it!

AT&T has a new tool to scan iPhones for tethering and MMS messaging, and they will send you the bill for using a tethered device without a contract. Something like $0.25/kb. That will add up really fast on a 3GS or 3G.

Browse at your own risk. The official offering should be out this coming fall.

if you really tether a lot... switch to tmobile and get the g1.. i have a tathering app on my phone and works like a charm... i call tmobile tech support and asked them what my limit was for downloading (they didnt know i was tethering) and its 8gigs a month then it kicks you down to the edge network.... i know all the other networks their cap are WAY less.

AT&T has a new tool to scan iPhones for tethering and MMS messaging, and they will send you the bill for using a tethered device without a contract. Something like $0.25/kb. That will add up really fast on a 3GS or 3G.

Browse at your own risk. The official offering should be out this coming fall.

another reason to get tmobile :p

Back