Iphone and verizon.. Is there a way?

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
I have heard you can "hack" or "jail break" an IPHONE so it can be used with other carriers, such as verizon.

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

My common sense tells me it is not true. My common sense tells me if you could manipulate an IPHONE to work with a verizon network there would be legal issues with Verizon doing it.

But I have heard in whispers it is possible.

I ran across an 8gig IPHONE for a $100.00 I figure if nothing else it still works as an 8 gig IPOD, so I figure an 8gig IPOD for a $100.00 is still a good deal, but if I could get it to work in Verizon that would just be a bonus.

Any ideas?

Yes, it can be done, however, some apps that AT&T offer will not work on the Iphone because they are not offered by Verizon.

And I don't think the gazillion apps for the i-phone will be available if you connect it with verizon an some of the verizon features won't be available if it's an i-phone would still make a good music player at least:beerchug:

And I don't think the gazillion apps for the i-phone will be available if you connect it with verizon an some of the verizon features won't be available if it's an i-phone would still make a good music player at least:beerchug:

Correct, the last time I unlocked my iPhone none of the apps would work and the voicemail feature would not work. However, there are other "free" apps that did work and I could do cool things like use my iPhone as a USB thumb drive also. So it's really a give and trade.

It will work for sure. If you google the subject, you can find lotta good infos. However, if your iphone gets bugs while downloading hacking program, you are assed out. I know a programmer works exclusively for counter-hacking sabotage.
Posted via Mobile Device

my Itouch is Jailbroken and I got all the Iphone apps for free as well as 20 games and a host of other fun ins and outs... if you can get it for 100 dollars it will be worth it no matter what.. if not for a phone but as you said for a 8gig ipod that has wifi free internet and games and youtube and all that jazz !

PS: theres tons of videos on youtube on how to do it... its actually very simple just make sure you check what version you are running and then go from there !

No matter what the phone will have to be at least jail broken or activated to use the ipod on it. I have mine on the tmobile network and have been using it since the iphone came out. Everything works perfect except for the voice mail feature and all the apps work great as well. I can even get any of the apps for free with one of the 3rd party apps. Go to www.modmyi.com for any info on jail breaking and unlocking info.

No. Verizon is CDMA. iPhone uses gsm. Two totally different radio technologies. But still get it as an iPod.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajblbv is correct two different systems at play . gsm for att and cdma for verizon.
gsm uses a sim card . cdma does not. but however in a couple years it seems verizon will have a chance at the iphone. as of right now, you can hack it but only for opening up things on it that att closed. bottom line is no it can not be done.

Unlock with quickpawn and change carrier settings to the one you want then use cydia to download all apps. Works everytime. just dont update to the new 3.0 firmware. 3.0 still has alot of bugs in it and 3.0 unlock isnt 100% yet. pm me if you need more info.

Verizon may be tough since its not GSM...I have a 1gen Iphone and use it on T-mobile with no issues, I upgraded to 3.0 last night without a glitch..and all Apple Store Apps work fine, although their are much better applications on Cydia or ICY for modifying the appearance as well as many free backgrounds and ringtones...

An iPhone can be used on Verizon when Verizon starts using phones that support GSM and Sims. Until then, no go.

Why would you want verizon???? They are the only provider that has customer service reps that will give you a piece of their mind and hang up on you. Thats why I'm with Sprint. I paid a penalty and got out of that mess.

wait; apple and ATT have a very fragile relationship, and unless a few key things change (ATT's exclusive iphone contract is coming up for renewal) there may be Verizon-ready iphones on the horizon.

It's the one thing that kept me from upgrading my 1st gen phone this time around...dont want to sign any contracts until this gets settled.

att and iphone agreed to late next year on exclusives, but like i said before verizon has put there paws into it and are trying really hard. and again its not possible to make a gsm phone work on a cdma network. and vice versa, the provider has to set there system up to accept each others version which is not happening anytime soon. the big picture is cdma is the better system not saying verizon is just the type of network they use., but gsm is more worldwide and is what the majority of people use. take into account also verizon,sprint and other money grubbers cripple the hound out of there phones where as att just about cuts them loose with all the bells whistles. sorry for the long post, take into account att, you can load about any java game on your phone for free, not with verizon or sprint, the game is locked to that phone only plus you pay for it where you can download java games for free off the net.

Yep can't use a gsm on a cdma network. Rumor on crackberry has it that apple will be releasing the iphone or a iphone "like" phone on vzw in 2010 though.

Personally I can't wait for the LTE networks to start coming online. I want a LTE blackberry!
Posted via Mobile Device

An iPhone can be used on Verizon when Verizon starts using phones that support GSM and Sims. Until then, no go.

my blackberry storm has a sim card in it. I lke the Iphone but ATT sucks service wise. I went riding saturday and 5 people had Iphones and non of them had service, but my storm had 4 out of 5 bars.

Back