Interesting safety tip

E Zurcher

Registered
First time I've heard this but it makes perfect sense.

Use the same route. Every city has it's little eccentricities, like "oh it's not marked, but everyone in the left lane is going to turn and the right lane is for straight and right turns", or those two-lane turns where half the cars in the inside lane think they can cross to the outside lane as they make their turn (my brother said that was legal in California, is that true? That's nuts...stay in your damn lanes!), or those weird places where traffic sometimes comes to a complete halt for no clearly marked reason... Driving the same route regularly gives you the ability to predict these things that might catch someone who was new to the route off guard.

I respectfully disagree.
Driving the same route tends to make one less observant, as it's the same old same old every day.
You get used to your surroundings and it's easier to zone out or be on auto pilot.
Be alert and constantly anticipating as many "what ifs" as possible, without being paranoid or letting that consume your focus.:beerchug:

I would say it depends on the person, If you are familiar with the route you have more time to focus on the other things. There's only so many ways to get somewhere. But then again going a different route may heighten your awareness or maybe not. Either way it's an interesting thought. I pretty much go the same way in my commute and I know where the problem areas are and take additional steps to prepare over my usual vigilance. This is why this tip makes sense to me

Back