Interesting bit on the Busa

Shanling

Man ***** Extreme
Donating Member
Registered
This is a direct quote from Sport Rider Magazine's October 2006 issue, page 10. It is a discussion of motorcycle aerodynamics

"When Kawasaki was designing the ZX-12R (Well before the Hayabusa's debut), a significant amount of wind-tunnel testing resulted in a final prototype whose styling was said to be "almost a carbon copy" of the Hayabusa. The engineers were happy with the performance, but when the product planners took one look at it, they quickly asked for a body work redesign, thinking that the prototype's then-unusual appearance would never sell. Of course, the Hayabusa has since proved them wrong, but most motorcycle enthusiasts probably would've agreed with the Kawasaki product planners back then. I know I would have."

The bit was written by Kent Kunitsugu. Could have been one of those "what if" moments in Kawasaki's history!

still would have looked like crap. look at their most recent attempt: zx14

(WWJD @ Sep. 08 2006,19:05) still would have looked like crap. look at their most recent attempt: zx14
LOL! Oh, no... you're gonna get called a parrot like I was for ragging on it!
tounge.gif

i guess it's not "Shoot it!" ugly, but still, you'd think after 7 years they could have bested the Busa's aeros at LEAST. i musta missed your parrot thread, dude! or ida jumped in and defended ya. we're SUPPOSED to bash teh 14, aren't we? everyone else slams the busa day and night... it's our God given right
smile.gif

Yeah , I read that article too . It also says that the Busa requires less horsepower than a 14 does to reach that "magical" 200MPH . It even said the the new GSXR 1K was more aerodynamic than the 14 !
laugh.gif

I thought the ugliness of the 14 was due to it's aerodynamic advantage . But there is NO advantage .
wink.gif

(Warputer @ Sep. 09 2006,10:19) Yeah , I read that article too . It also says that the Busa requires less horsepower than a 14 does to reach that "magical" 200MPH . It even said the the new GSXR 1K was more aerodynamic than the 14 !
laugh.gif

I thought the ugliness of the 14 was due to it's aerodynamic advantage . But there is NO advantage .  
wink.gif
+1. You would think if they were going to make a bike that ugly they would atleast have a performance reason.

that article didn't really make sense, they said the kaw was produced/prototyped first, yet it was a carbon-copy of the busa??? so who made the design first? and how did they know about the busa's design because that was a well kept secret also.

Just think though.. what if Kawi had redesigned the 14 and gave it a better aerodynamic shape. Then the 14 might really have a chance at taking the throne over the Busa! That would stink!

(GSXRFANN @ Sep. 09 2006,17:09) Just think though.. what if Kawi had redesigned the 14 and gave it a better aerodynamic shape. Then the 14 might really have a chance at taking the throne over the Busa! That would stink!
Somebody else got it too!! And I was thinking that I was the only one that saw that!

as the "motorcycle rag industry" thrives on....an on...an on....an on....
laugh.gif

Well, yea they all say that when something becomes a classic
laugh.gif

You really believe that Kaw droped the Busa look and then the same people accepted the present 14 as a better look  
wink.gif
. And anyway, the 12 came out after the Busa by years, so where was it
rock.gif
? It sure doesn't take that long for new body work with a lower vaccum cleaner snout for a ram air vent
biggrin.gif

The laws of aerodynamics don't change with the model year. Its more likely seperate design teams came up with similar packages than it would if they had different ones.

Back