Intercooler

ARE Cooling (Aluminium Radiators & Engineering P/L) this info may be true for a car .. but those innercooler don't look nothing like the bike radiator style innercooler i seen from RCC

The air/air intercooler in the picture you referenced is by no means a bike radiator, just because it is curved and looks similar. The one we use is an actual MCX intercooler, and will work well up into the mid 400hp level.

Might want to blow up the pic from the site. A bike rad is about an 1" thick, the intercooler on our site is about 2" thick, also the tubes in a rad are only about 0.080", perfect for water to travel through, while the intercooler air tubes are about .250" thick, with internal fins as well. But if you would like to rry a rad for an intercooler, have at it, the pressure drop will be incredible.

Richard

Deadbusa, your right ARE do not do bike intercoolers but the aim of the link was for information on the various design differences between air and water type coolers esp core design ,
For a specific motorcycle intercoolers see RCC, MCXpress,Headsup performance,Motorhead and no doubt others , Seb at NLR used to do one but i'm not sure if he does anymore .
Water/air are expensive , but your also getting a lot more parts for your $$ than a air/air with heat exchangers,water pump & hoses .

A radiator can be modified to be the heat exchanger - you still need the intercooler itself, and a water pump to circulate coolant between the two units, unless I am not understanding what it is your are attempting to do:whistle:

I am attempting to run an extremely high boost, so i need to cool the air that enters the plenum.

I have little experience with turbo applications so i am learning, learning a lot... heck an intercooler may not be the best setup i need, I might go with water ejection, but i know less about water injection than i do turbo's or intercoolers...

Last edited:
If you are referring to the black brackets used to hold the engine cases - yes i made those from 2" angle iron. drilled them for the bolt sizes and then shaved them where needed to keep from damaging the case halves.

If you are referring to the wood 2x4 engine support stand - yes i made that as well, just cut some wood up and made it just the right height on the section of floor were the engine was on the stand.

If you are referring to the actual engine stand - no, i purchased that from pepboys, they mis marked the price and i got it for about 50% off the regular price, along with the engine hoist and transmission jack.. All three had the wrong prices and i picked everything up for $275 USD.

A radiator can be modified to be the heat exchanger - you still need the intercooler itself, and a water pump to circulate coolant between the two units, unless I am not understanding what it is your are attempting to do:whistle:

Hey Frank, I think this might clarify what i am trying to do.

Modify my gen 1 radiator and use it as a heat exchanger. Next, use the water/air intercooler i picked up the other day and modify it into an intercooler/plenum. I have an electric water pump to circulate the water. I am also looking at making an ice box that would fit somewhere in the bike....somewhere being the most important puzzle piece..

I am guessing i would need to run the electric water pump on the same circuit the fuel pump runs, to avoid running the water pump constantly, but i am not sure.
should i try to find a device that acts like a timer and have it run every ... 10-15 seconds? I have no idea... im just guessing here....

Last edited:
How much boost and how much power are you looking to make? It would be much easier to just get an air/air unit and you could still slam the bike to the ground....I believe you could also make around 450HP on C16 depending on what turbo you have. In my opinion its alot cheaper and a better option and more efficient than any homemade setup you would end up coming up with.....also you wouldn't have to worry about ice boxe, water pump, fab time, install ect...

How much boost and how much power are you looking to make? It would be much easier to just get an air/air unit and you could still slam the bike to the ground....I believe you could also make around 450HP on C16 depending on what turbo you have. In my opinion its alot cheaper and a better option and more efficient than any homemade setup you would end up coming up with.....also you wouldn't have to worry about ice boxe, water pump, fab time, install ect...

I am not really worried about the time it takes, i need quality, and durability. So if i do it myself then i know it will be done right. I would go get an RCC intercooled plenum, but i don't have 3 grand to spend on an intake.

I am not really worried about the time it takes, i need quality, and durability. So if i do it myself then i know it will be done right. I would go get an RCC intercooled plenum, but i don't have 3 grand to spend on an intake.

I'm not talking about a 3 grand plenum I'm talking about a Air/Air intercooler that ranges new from $1100 to a used price of $400. So what I'm saying is its your cheapest alternative if your looking to make around the 450HP mark. If your concerned about quality and durability then it would be an advantage to you to pick up a A/A unit from RCC or MCXpress....I don't know you background or skill level in designing and making these types of items but even if you are highly skilled these guys do it for a living and it would be pretty hard to beat their product. With that being said the A/A unit is still you best bang for the buck and some guys make larger ones that flow even more HP and you can still slam the bike on the ground ect.........no maintenace just needs air to work:thumbsup: I would make an A/A unit before I made a A/W just depends on what Hp level your trying to get to

Last edited:
I'm not talking about a 3 grand plenum I'm talking about a Air/Air intercooler that ranges new from $1100 to a used price of $400. So what I'm saying is its your cheapest alternative if your looking to make around the 450HP mark. If your concerned about quality and durability then it would be an advantage to you to pick up a A/A unit from RCC or MCXpress....I don't know you background or skill level in designing and making these types of items but even if you are highly skilled these guys do it for a living and it would be pretty hard to beat their product. With that being said the A/A unit is still you best bang for the buck and some guys make larger ones that flow even more HP and you can still slam the bike on the ground ect.........no maintenace just needs air to work:thumbsup: I would make an A/A unit before I made a A/W just depends on what Hp level your trying to get to

I thought about air to air, but im thinking in order to run heavy HP in the future i am going to need an A/W intercooler. might as well get it all done and out of the way now.

I thought about air to air, but im thinking in order to run heavy HP in the future i am going to need an A/W intercooler. might as well get it all done and out of the way now.

Yeah in that case then the a/w is probably what your better off using. If your chasing big hp then your probably going to need a plenum from RCC anyway due to their ability to actually make the big power. Some a/a guys can make big power also but I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. Also there is a big difference in dyno hp and making big hp in a riding environment. Good luck with your project

Back