Intercooler information

Puzzled

Registered
Does the intercooler have to be for a specific manufactures kit?

From the reading I've done it appears that lowered bikes present their own unique situation with intercoolers. It had been mentioned (in the archives) that there are notched intercoolers for lowered bikes. Again do these need to match the kit company?

Give Seb a call @ NLR,he'll school you on all your concerns ref: intercoolers.

Thats the number!
smile.gif

I do not recommend trying to "piece" a turbo bike together,sure it CAN be done,but there will be tuning issues with a bike like that.If you got the money,get a complete setup from someone like NLR,RCC.If youre wanting an entry level bike,and I mean entry level with no mods needed,then go with Motorheads Stg 1(RCC Kit) or a Velocity.

I have a stage 1 kit with options. I was looking to see what else is available that will work with what I have. The lowered bike seems to be a stickler for some. I will look into NLR to see if they have what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have pictures of what a intercooler looks like either for or on a lowered bike? I'm trying to see what they are doing to increase tire clearance.

Here’s a pic of my cooler, it’s a one off custom job, flows well and shows good temp drops. Cooling air is delivered via the redundant right hand ram duct directly over the core.

If you decide to go the custom route, this might give you some ideas.

It certainly won’t affect ground clearance.

In all fairness I don’t think I have ever herd of an intercooler causing ground clearance problems.

I have seen larger coolers in front of the radiator require the forks raked out a few degrees to provide clearance from the front wheel but these are LARGE units on drag bikes.

Hope this helps some.

Ross

COOLER.JPG

I only run 6psi. That gives me about 240hp at the wheel using the stock twin exhaust into Yosh cans.

An intercooler may seem overkill for only 6psi but I'm after a long term engine and wanted to play it extra safe.

One other small benefit is the cooler is not preheating the air for the radiator. I've never been happy with the Busa's cooling either stationary or a low speed.

I have some header wrap and a turbine blanket that needs fitting to help with that.

Cheers
Ross

You can't lower the bikes very far with the MC Express and RCC kits "STREET" intercoolers that sit in front of the radiater. And for a good chssis setup drag racing a No-bar bike, raking is not a good option. That is why RCC is making the Ultra kit which is liquid intercooled under tank setup.

-

I didn't see anything on the RCC site so I emailed them inquiring about their standard cooler and the "Ultra" cooler.

standard air to air sits in front of the radiator and was essentially first developed for the busa by mcxpress. my 58/12 kit has this setup. for me cooling has been an issue, but I think for another reason. the radiator has to be modified to flow from the top-front to the top rear. not biggie really. I have a trac dynamics 4 degree raked triple tree on mine. most guys have the neck modified. usually with a billet replacement neck from macintosh.

the liquid version was again developed by mcxpress. several other kits now use them too. velocity uses water injection. water injection is cheaper and I think easier. takes up a lot less room than a traditional cooler.

58/12 kit.
mckit.jpg

I have the same intercooler as Bryan in the pic above, and love it for the street, but I am now running stock height in the front, low profile front tire (60 series), and chopped the back of the front fender so the tire wouldn't hit. I don't want to rake my bike, but for street use, i couldn't be happier, running 16 psi on pump gas is awesome.

100_1166.jpg

Back