intercooler fitment

Raxen

Registered
I am making an Air-liquid intercooler decision and am trying to figure out what one to go with. I don't have the dimensions for under the upper fairing right now since I haven't recieved my turbo fairing (no headlight) yet and the old ram-air style was involved in a small accident. Does anyone know the upper fairing dimensions to tell me if it is going to squeeze in without a headlight installed. Thanks in advance.

The intercooler specs:

The unit measures 12x11.5x8 overall. (12 inches from the table to the tip of the inlet, 11.5 from the edge of the endtank with the inlet to the other edge.)

Homebrew system mostly. Plenum/header are motorhead's style. Turbo is a T76. Turbonetics race wastegate. Fuel delivery is still being plumber with the nitrous system.

I want to put a liq/air intercooler in the upper where the headlight was once located.

Possibly...Don't many people run T66's without much problem? It looks like they would also hit the surge line pretty hard.

T66
60LB/Min, 868cfm @ 2PR @ 68%.
67LB/Min, 970cfm @ 2PR @ 60%.
72LB/Min, 1040cfm max flow @ 26.5psi @ 60%.
38psi max boost limited by compressor wheel speed

<!--EDIT|Raxen
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081422275 -->

t66.jpg

T76
78LB/Min, 1128 cfm @ 2PR @ 65%.
93LB/Min, 1345 cfm @ 65%.
38psi max boost determined by compressor rpm

<!--EDIT|Raxen
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081422310 -->

t76.jpg

It seems like the T66 map limits the engine to:
~75lbs/min x 9.2 = 690 hp
while the T76 can easily break the 700 hp cap at a lower turbo RPM. What is the maximum mass flow rate for the busa engine at WOT? Maybe that is where I am missing something fundamental in my thinking. I just assumed it was ~75 lbs (air)/min as the maximum at WOT since the T66 has been successfully used on 1300 cc's.

race.gif

By the way, I just bought one of your fuel rails from Schnitz, top notch quality.

nobody uses a t66 on a busa. The only one I know of is a kit that we set up that went on forstalls land speed bike. It didnt go into surge because it skimmed by the line. It will surge with a 76 .If you still insist on running it have them make a compressor surge slot on the compressor .
So what turbine side did you plan on running with this set up.

as far as the 35 you can visibly see a need for a surge slot cant you?

Yeah, on the GT35, it came off of a supra. It was even a little "surgy" on it but the price was right so I tossed it in storage for a rainy day.

As far as the T76, I haven't decided on the turbine housing. Right now it is a 1.05 A/R but I feel that may only contribute to the problem so the problem is still in the works, still need to make some calculations. I have never slotted the compressor before, how much would you charge?

i dont slot compressors. What are you building this bike for because your choice in turbo confuses me.

No partcular reason for sticking it to the busa. Never planned to ride this one on the street, an drag busa to say - to see how wild I can get it. I just had a T76 left over from a DSM project and decided it would go on my second busa. I talked to Forced Performance earlier and we talked about some trick work around the problem. Thanks for your input.
smile.gif

I'll let you know how it turns out, it should be up and going in two weeks if the if the dfi system shows up soon. Gotta love buying things on ebay.

No partcular reason for sticking it to the busa.  Never planned to ride this one on the street, an drag busa to say - to see how wild I can get it.  I just had a T76 left over from a DSM project and decided it would go on my second busa.  I talked to Forced Performance earlier and we talked about some trick work around the problem.  Thanks for your input.    
smile.gif

I'll let you know how it turns out, it should be up and going in two weeks if the if the dfi system shows up soon.  Gotta love buying things on ebay.
sorry but it still amazes me you can buy a system ready yet some people try to build their own.
I see no reason for the headaches.

Some just enjoy tinkering Johnny. Even knowing it can be bought. Challenge maybe. I like the easier way.
biggrin.gif

I don't like the idea of being out of the design loop. It is easy enough to purchase a kit but I like to try new things; Go the path less taken.

I've never had headache over the bike yet, just constructive thought. I appreciate the input. I'll keep everyone posted.

c8_1.jpg

Hey NLR, I never got around to asking you something. Do you have an A/L intercooler that will mount in the upper fairing? I am running a turbo race style with no headlight.

okay I got ya....
yes we make a ice cooler that site in front..replaces the dash , youll have to run aftermarket front bodywork.

new_bike_dyno.jpg

Back