intake cam swap timing

dozer919

Registered
In the middle of doing the dual intake cam deal on my 1st gen. Whats throwing me for a loop is how far advanced the lobes are on the intake (for the exhaust side) vs the exhaust cam (that used to be there)

I stood the old exhaust cam and the intake cam replacing it on my bench, I lined up the lines on the cams so they were both to the right, and the lobes on the intake are super advanced compared to the old exhaust. Should this concern me?

It just looks weird and I thought that most of the power gain came from the larger lobes, not from changing the cam timing.

Do you have adjustable sprockets for the intake cams as you need to have them to do the cam timing. Most people do 105 \ 105 for a even spread of power. Without the sprockets you timing would be out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea I got the sprockets on and everything. I'm talking about the lines on the cams themselves. When you line em up they're way off, the new intake cam lobes are much further advanced then the old exhaust I replaced

The first pic sucks but it shows the lines on the cams lined up, both on the right side. The second pic kinda shows how much further ahead the intake cam is.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309298869.018246.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309298973.427331.jpg

Dozer, arrg, i don't like the OEM intake on exhaust mod however, you will need to find instructions for aligning the mark on the adjustable sprocket holder that's <specific> to using an OEM intake on the exhaust side.

TRUE installed exhaust lobe centerline from 99-100 to say,107 , will be somewhat visually apparent to the eye on installation but the only way < after aligning the cam holder mark with cam> you going to get it installed correctly is to use a degree wheel, dial indicator and degree the exhaust side in.

Back