Insurance - 18 year old - first bike!

kdawg31337

Registered
Hey guys, I previously was asking about the busa as a first bike and I know the whole spiel on that. Essentially I have made my decision and will purchase mine when I get out of college, which should be ~ May 2008. Of course, if something more bad-*** comes out, I might have to change my course of action. I was looking at the insurance quote off of progressive.com, and for basic liability, it comes out to 920 a year. If I put in the comprehensive, it went up to over 10 grand!! (With a low deductible). What rates are other people paying/getting?

If your under 25 you are going to have to pay big $$$ for full coverage....and if you don't pay cash for the bike you need full coverage
wink.gif

There are a bunch of posts about this subject. Too many variables for you to figure out what you should be paying based on what others are paying. I got quotes that varied between $650 and $3000 a year when I was insurance shopping. Check with a few companies and see what's the best deal you can get.

... I have made my decision and will purchase mine when I get out of college, which should be ~ May 2008 ...
Dude,  why don't you buy yourself a cheap bike now.  You can pick up a used small cruiser for next to nothing.   Ride it until you graduate in 16 months and then buy yourself the Busa as your second bike as a graduation present.  You will be much less likely to wad up the Busa.  Insurance rates go down with each year of riding experience without an incident (at least mine do).

Bottom line is it doesn't matter what you ride, as long as your riding.  The coeds will still think you're cool even if what your riding isn't a Busa.  Not riding anything until you can get the Busa in the far distant future is, well dumb IMO.

<!--EDIT|BusaWhipped
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137396226 -->

Don't worry, I have a legitmate reason for not having one. I live in MA and go to school in VA. If I buy a bike in MA, I can only ride it during the Summer breaks. I wouldn't be able to transport it to VA as I drive down there in my car with all my stuff. Winter break wouldn't be an option due to weather. I could also get one in VA. However, I'm not sure the school will allow two vehicles. If they do though, I wouldn't be able to leave my bike there for winter/summer breaks, and would have no way of getting it back up to MA with me. Finally, I'm doing a semester abroad in Australia. I'm leaving the 6th of Feb, and leave AU for more travel in late June, and won't be back till August 8th. I guess I could get a bike in Australia right when I get there, and sell it right before I leave, but I'm not sure learning while driving on the left side of the road would be a great idea. Really, I think the only viable option to get a bike earlier would be the spring of next year. I guess I'd find a way to get it back up to MA. So honestly, it's a great idea, but it'll have to wait a year.

<!--EDIT|kdawg31337
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137396685 -->

Hopefully you already have state farm Insurance if so you may be in luck. Some of us older guys only pay around $300 a year for full coverage on the busa. Many polls have been taken here on Insurance and state farm seems to win them all.

If your under 25 you are going to have to pay big $$$ for full coverage....and if you don't pay cash for the bike you need full coverage
wink.gif
you got that right. I turned 25 just last yr and I used to pay mid 800's a yr for full coverage.

now that I"m 25 it drop nearly 30+%

rock on.
super.gif

when i priced zx9 coverage in 2000 one company wanted 10 gs too!
more than the bike was worth:angry:

wink.gif
theres some stealerships do it w/o full coverage. unsure of the age req.
a friend i rode with yesterday had a 'busa stolen w/o it. and he was financing it.
he found his own motor on the 'net and busted the maggot thieves..

Whatever you do, don't use Progressive. They are the highest-priced insurance company on the planet for motorcycles.

Lou

Im 19 and pay $298/month just for liability. Full coverage was going to run me over a grand. No tickets . Clean record. I even have defensive and performance driving clas completitions. But its considered a superbike. Basically a ferrari with wheels.

<!--EDIT|camaro69_4542003
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137445424 -->

Don't worry, I have a legitmate reason for not having one. I live in MA and go to school in VA. If I buy a bike in MA, I can only ride it during the Summer breaks. I wouldn't be able to transport it to VA as I drive down there in my car with all my stuff. Winter break wouldn't be an option due to weather. I could also get one in VA. However, I'm not sure the school will allow two vehicles. If they do though, I wouldn't be able to leave my bike there for winter/summer breaks, and would have no way of getting it back up to MA with me. Finally, I'm doing a semester abroad in Australia. I'm leaving the 6th of Feb, and leave AU for more travel in late June, and won't be back till August 8th. I guess I could get a bike in Australia right when I get there, and sell it right before I leave, but I'm not sure learning while driving on the left side of the road would be a great idea. Really, I think the only viable option to get a bike earlier would be the spring of next year. I guess I'd find a way to get it back up to MA. So honestly, it's a great idea, but it'll have to wait a year.
A small bike on a single bike trailer. You could pull that from VA to MA and back behind RSDs GEO Metro with a class 1 hitch. When you get back from Australia, get yourself a small starter bike. Naked is better than dressed for a first bike. I'd register it in whichever state is the cheapest for total cost of ownership. If getting a bike from VA to MA is a major hurtle that you can't overcome, you aren't ready for a Busa. You can still get the Busa when you graduate. You've lost nothing, and have gained some seat time that may save your life some day.

Riding in Australia is a great idea. Give yourself a little time to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road, then get something you can have a blast on. I'd go duel purpose so you can get some off-road time while you're there. Have a blast tearing up the Outback
smile.gif

I'm having a similar discussion in the general section, and I posted there saying I just don't really think I want to spend any money, and save it all for a new Busa/upkeep. I don't know where to find a working bike under a grand.

Ment Farreri with 2 wheels. I just woke up when i was posting that. lol . I also left out the part on DO NOT BUY THE BUSA AS A FIRST BIKE!!. And the upkeep plan on spending atleast 4- 6K on the bike first year you have it. Thats considering you WILl drop it and it WILl cost you couple hundred bucks each time . Also you will not know how to handle such a heavy bike and balance it properly to ride it on the road safely. It can be learned but i wouldnt advise it. Wanting the bike because its the baddest is like wanting a cobra for a first pet. Its going to bite you eventually. When it dones its going to hurt.

<!--EDIT|camaro69_4542003
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137465825 -->

wink.gif
theres some stealerships do it w/o full coverage. unsure of the age req.
a friend i rode with yesterday had a 'busa stolen w/o it. and he was financing it.
he found his own motor on the 'net and busted  the maggot thieves..
Do not buy a bike and make payments without full insurance, if something goes wrong you will have a broken bike, and you will still have to make payments, it's not worth it.

You might like the bike and feel you have to have it, but go with a 600 until you can pay cash or get over the age of 24.

I agree if your making payments and you just ride it then full cogerage is the way to go , considering the year sum is cheaper than the actual price of the bike. I didnt finance mine. I got a bank loan for 13,000 and bought it out right. I also race the bike and no one would even think of touching it for full coverage , even with me telling them its just a weekend rider bike they wanted over 1200/month which by the end of the year was right over 15,000/year. For that price i said forget it , $300/month is enough and if it goes down itll be cheaper for me to fix it myself or even buy a new one lol. Also the way it stands i only pay the bank $140/month for the loan so. I came out pretty decent considering suzuki was going to have me paying 260/month if i went through them and i even have the 3 year service package and sporttrak on mine

Back