Instrument Cluster Voltage Draw when off!!

PImpN

Registered
Just curious if someone has had a similiar problem or could help point me in the right direction...

I have a gen1 that is pulling voltage when the bike is off. 11.5 to be exact when the battery has 13v across the pos and neg. I have narrowed it down to the instrument cluster. When i unplug it, the draw goes away. When i pull fuse #2 (Fuel) it also goes away.

If the key is off and i plug the instrument cluster back in, all of the needles zero out (max out then go back to zero including fuel level n temp). I also have it in neutral and the neutral led blinks real fast when i plug the connector back in...

I'm more than likely just going to buy a used set depending upon the price and/or i was thinking about just putting a toggle switch on the red wire with a blue stripe or the other way around cant remember exactly, but it is the same color wire that comes off fuse #2 that goes to the fuel pump relay. I disconnected every connector and relay with no luck. I'm 99% sure its in the cluster.

If I'm missing something or if someone has some insight on the situation, all input would be appreciated. Wiring diagram of the cluster would be awesome!!!

Thx in advance

+1 on the clock. It's going to draw some power. The fuel pump circuit isn't switched so the clock is powered from that circuit. What problem are you trying to troubleshoot?

Something is killing my battery within a day or 2 of a full charge. 3 batteries, 2 new, with the same problem...

Are all of the needles suppost to peg and then zero out when you connect the plug to the instrument cluster when the key is off? :poke:

oh and when i take the negative and check between the negative post and negative cable, thats where im getting my 11.5v. hmmm perhaps im not using the right setting on my meter. just using dc auto on a fluke...

Are you sure the charging system is working?

Measuring voltage won't tell you how much current anything is taking. The clock may only be using 0.001 amps (0.01 watts) and show 12 volts while your headlight may be using 6 amps (72 watts) and it too will show 12 volts. Something that will kill a motorcycle battery in 24-48 hours needs to be pulling 0.25 - 0.5 amps (3 - 6 watts).

Last edited:
Something is killing my battery within a day or 2 of a full charge. 3 batteries, 2 new, with the same problem...

Are all of the needles suppost to peg and then zero out when you connect the plug to the instrument cluster when the key is off? :poke:

yes

hook a voltmeter to battery check voltage when off,on not running and crank voltage then raise engine to 3k and 5k and check it..

when i installed the second new battery, the voltage was around 13 when off. When idleing it was around 14.75. I left the cluster plugged in for a couple few hours today and my voltage dropped to 7v. idleing only 11.75. I'll go out and double check all these numbers and check the rest of the voltages...

ok things have changed...

off 12.25v
on(not running) 12.15v
cranking dropped to 9v i think, but it starts fast...
idling, 3k, 5k 11.79v

Maybee it is a charging issue on the bike. hmmm strange the only thing ive done since installing this new battery is let it idle for about 20 minutes on seperate occassions while i flused out the radiator. It's been on stands the entire time. i cant remember exactly but the voltage when running after i installed the new battery could have been in the 15's, which i thought was high at the time...

well i went out tonight to test the stator and found that i forgot to reconnect the stator plug! ??? For a second i thought i was going nutz, i knew i had charging voltage b4 LOL. I've had the instrument cluster connected for a few days now and it has only dropped .04v, so it looks like i just got a bad replacement battery back in Feb. The stock battery lasted 4 seasons with no tender every applied, sounds like i had a good battery...

Thx Whipped and GoldenChild for your help and I appologize for wasting your time with rounding up the info for the gagues :(

No worries my friend,it's all so simple,we as human folk just overthink stuff at times..

Back