Instead of Riding Saturday

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Went and played in my 'other' sport :) That's me and my wife in the video a friend of ours had a camera on his helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's freaking awesome :bowdown:. I thought I had fun Saturday!

Last edited:
It could have been better, we only got in 2 before weather blew in and ended the day's activities!

There are some great Drop Zones in Texas! go to www.uspa.org and look at Group member drop zones by state. Skydive Dallas rings a bell.

I did a static line jump when I was 18. Even that was unbelievable. I think it was before you could tandem. That looks incredible. How high was that?

We got out at 12,000 AGL. Took like 30 minutes to get to altitude in that airplane, a 1946 Beech Twin. In a decent turbine, would take about half that. In a fast turbine, about 6 minutes.

I was a static line progression student. A lot of people quit before they start getting into real freefall, and it's the freefall that is the addictive part. In reality, for the most part (there are exceptions) the parachute is only the vehicle for getting on the ground so you can go back up into freefall again. The difference between 'parachuting' and 'freefall' is considerable.

Weight: Somewhere in the range of 250 is about the upper limit that a tandem master will accept a student; depends on several factors (body composition - fat or muscle; size of the tandem master, what kind of tandem gear he has, ect.) Best bet is to go to USPA.org and find a member drop zone in your area; call or email them and see where they go with it. Believe me, they WANT to take you!

You don't HAVE to do a tandem first; however, I highly recommend it. You get the ENTIRE experience with minimal training time/expense required. For you to do either AFF or Static line, it's going to cost you a LOT more $$ and time until you find out whether you want to go further or not; a tandem gives you a taste and then you can decide if you want to progress further (or not). Students that have made a tandem KNOW what reward they are working towards!

Last edited:
looks like I have a place 30 minutes south of me....they can take 250# with advance notice.....thats prolly geared up though?

If you told them your weight, and they said "OK with advance notice" they are taking that into account. "Advance notice" means they've got an experienced Tandem Master with the right gear to take you...Go for it!

Hmmm... I gotta look into this... Dream of mine to go skydiving, even though I hate heights... But I weigh 330#... That might be pushing it. We will see!

Hmmm... I gotta look into this... Dream of mine to go skydiving, even though I hate heights... But I weigh 330#... That might be pushing it. We will see!

Step away from the table...there might be someone out there that would take you but I kinda doubt it. Good a reason as any to go on a diet!!

Awesome vid! I just did my 5th AFF jump yesterday! I failed "C1" twice before I finally passed it on my 3rd try yesterday. I kept having problems with my leg position. But on the 3rd try I finally figured it out and stayed stable the entire way with out the instructors holding on to me!!!! They went ahead and moved me up to "D1".

Now Friday I will make my first jump with only one instructor and quite frankly im a little nervous about that! lol

:beerchug:

Back