Installing resistor

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I'm installing 2 resistors, one for each side, to make the blinkers flash normally, I have LED bulbs.

I know they get hot. Is there something I can wrap them with?? Shrink wrap?? That wrap used for heat on the headers?? Any ideas, I don't want them to melt any wires or my undertail...??

bump.gif

Didn't bother installing mine. I think the faster flashing actuall helps vis...

Didn't bother installing mine.  I think the faster flashing actuall helps vis...
In my case I have an integrator, and you can barely see the brake light flash because its soo quick. With the resistor in place to slow the flash rate, the blinking brake light is much more visible.

Now I just don't want to melt wires or my undertail...

if the resistors are just for the blinkers--

I placed mine in the space between the rear storage and the taillight (you'll need to remove the rear cowling to get back there)

You'll have access to the blinker circuit wires and some free open space to let the resistors hang out + not touch too much.

OR - you can tie them into the wires in the front cowling - there's enough free space as well as air circulation to scrub off heat.

I've had tower LEDs in the front and rear + haven't had any probs with heat from the resistors - the blinkers aren't on most of the time anyway.

i just put them in my tail section...they get hot but how much are you using the turn signal? it only gets hot when its used...it would have to be left on for an awfull long time to get hot enough to melt anything...just let them hang somewhere not pressed up against anything
cool.gif

the darn things only get hot while the blinkers are on, so dont worry so much. It should be fine.

theres a company that makes the flasher relay , that has an auto cancel feature , that is preset from 9 to 45 seconds , but it was like 100$

I'm thinking that you shouldnt have to worry about the heat from the resistors for blinkers. If you were talking parking lights then i would be worried but on the same note... if i were you i wouldnt want to chance anything so i'd figure something out to make sure i didnt melt something! I've been thinking of ideas but when a good one comes up i'll let you know!
wow.gif
smile.gif

Thanks guys, I'm going to look into plastic case/covers. Similar to the type that house/protect fuses and capacitors. I'll see if I can find something that is the right size. Maybe header wrap/tape...

I know its a little over kill, but I ride in some hot summers and I just would rather have it done right.
biggrin.gif

I just run the resistors and they dont get hot enough to hurt , mine are just tied in and put between my undertail and light fixture. Also its a company called clear alternatives that makes the flasher relay that slows it down. just replaces your factory flasher unit and isnt very expensive. Dont bother wraping them itll just cause them to retain to much heat. Hope this helps.

Back