Installing Heated Grips

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Gettin cold here lately and I got some heated grips from Pashnit. Tim really likes his so I thought this winter I am going to install.

Anyway have you folks done it and got any pics?

Thanx - K Moto

SymtecHeatedGrips400.jpg

Just make sure you wrap the left bar with some tape to insulate it. I just installed the heaters and didnt wrap the left bar and all the heat went into the bar and not the grip. So obviously I had to cut off the brand new Progrip grips and insulate the bar. Then buy new grips and install them.

After riding in this morning to work here in NC, I need some of these badly!! Would like to know if you like them once there installed

Holy **** the other day at 5 am it was about 45 degress. Turned on the heaters to high and didnt even think about the cold. I actually had to turn down the heaters half way to work. Personally i think it is the best $50 you could spend. It paid for itself on the 2 day. Once installed you dont even notice them. I cant emphasize enough WRAP TAPE ON THE LEFT BAR (insulation).

What are you guys talking about heated grips you dont own a goldwing you own a busa  

That's why I have heated clothing and soon to have heated grips
smile.gif
 If I can figure out studded motorcycle tires, I'm there too!!!!
beerchug.gif

LOL... ya no kidding... 45F, still wearing my mesh gear!

nah seriously, done 200mph in low 40s. Not fun, I'm sure those heated grips would be nice, especially considering the price.
My alternative is a good set of under gloves (dupont material) and thick goretex gloves (not the most fun to ride with)... get some nice thermal underwear, you shouldn't need heated gear. hands and feet are the part that gets cool faster, you already in good shape with heated grips, just need a thick pair of socks!

Instead of taping the metal, why not take some spray foam, and inject it into the handlebar...?? You could do both sides like that.
Does anyone know where you can get the type that go inside the handlebars?? Then there are no wires to look at or wires that are constantly being flexed by the throttle movement. I think the snowmobilers use them...

Cheers,

Tony

Instead of taping the metal, why not take some spray foam, and inject it into the handlebar...?? You could do both sides like that.
Does anyone know where you can get the type that go inside the handlebars?? Then there are no wires to look at or wires that are constantly being flexed by the throttle movement. I think the snowmobilers use them...

Cheers,

Tony
Busa bars are solid.

I'll throw this in here. I installed the Dual star Kit about a year and a half ago and I use them every day! I opted for the Round Rocker switch simply because i liked the look better than the toggle. Installation is as simple as could be. Locate switched power source. I used an inline blade fuse to be safe. Remove grips install the heater elements but be sure of the routing of the wires before you stick them to the bars.Remember that the throttle has to have full range of motion. I then tidied up the wiring with spiral wiring loom and reinstalled the grips. The one thing I couldn't bring myself to do was to epoxy the grips (per instructions) to them afterwards as that would mean replacing them when I changed grips. I then fabbed up a mount to locate the switch next to the throttle housing and a few zip ties and voila! Magic! Trust me on this you will use these far more than you could ever imagine.

Note- I did this with my Helibars as opposed to the stock bars. Install should be no different.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

DSCN0002.JPG

I'll throw this in here. I installed the Dual star Kit about a year and a half ago and I use them every day! I opted for the Round Rocker switch simply because i liked the look better than the toggle. Installation is as simple as could be. Locate switched power source. I used an inline blade fuse to be safe. Remove grips install the heater elements but be sure of the routing of the wires before you stick them to the bars.Remember that the throttle has to have full range of motion. I then tidied up the wiring with spiral wiring loom and reinstalled the grips. The one thing I couldn't bring myself to do was to epoxy the grips (per instructions) to them afterwards as that would mean replacing them when I changed grips. I then fabbed up a mount to locate the switch next to the throttle housing and a few zip ties and voila! Magic! Trust me on this you will use these far more than you could ever imagine.

Note- I did this with my Helibars as opposed to the stock bars. Install should be no different.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm
I installed that same kit and switch on my bike about two years ago. I mounted my switch on the inner fairing. I wrapped two layers of black electrical tape on my left grip per another board, then slipped my stock grips back on top of the warmers. The best $27 I ever spent.

I got my power from the unused auxiliary wire that sits behind the gauge cluster.

Kent, I can help you install if need assistance.

I got my power from the unused auxiliary wire that sits behind the gauge cluster.

Resurrecting this old thread because I’m installing heated grips and looking for the best switched wire to tap. An unused auxiliary wire sounds good, but I’m not finding what Sane_man referenced. Can anyone provide more info?

Back