installing clear signal covers

G

I'd really like to change the stock yellow covers to clear but I don't know what's involved, I've only heard it's difficult.  Has anyone done this themselves?  

I'd appreciate any help, I'm kinda on my own as far as making any changes to the bike.  So far I've gotten lucky with the little things I've done but I'm not sure about this one.  :super:

Thanks,
Kris

I changed out one of my signal covers and it wasn't that bad. I did it without removing the nose fairing. Take off the side fairings and use a short screwdriver to get to the 2 screws that hold them in. It's a tight fit but it's posible.

I have heard it is not that hard, but I don't know for sure. Mine should be arriving around the middle of the week and I will install next weekend. I will try to post what I learn and how it goes.

Well, you were three quarters of the way there. You should have just removed the mirrors and slipped the front cowling off the fairing stay, pulled it away from the ram-air tubes, unplugged a few lead wires and you would have a straight shot at the screws without screaming and hollering!

Reverse process for install.

As always; refer to your Service Manual for least amount of guessing.

Kris, just take your time and be methodical when you work on the busa. Don't get into a rush and think everything through. If you need any help just let me know and I'll see what I can do for you. Maybe I could take some good photos and post them with instructions as specific as you need them. I haven't installed front signal lenses yet but I figure if I got it back together and running from where it is in the photo below, I can do ANYTHING to it as long as I have specs and advice from those who are "in the know". ;)

post-6-73512-img_014.jpg

Let me know if you ever need help with a mod. I'd be happy to guide you through if it's something I have done or can figure out. I'd also be happy to take photos if it would help you feel more confident about doing your mods. Just hit me up if I can help! :beerchug:

I just told him how to do it!   Dude needs a service manual and he will not be in the dark. :tounge:

Edited by the Cookster. Reason; He smart enough, he's good lookin enough,,,and dog gone it,,,he likes to!

<!--EDIT|Cookie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067747562 -->

Ease up on the Rookie Cookie:laugh:  .  If any one wants a cd manual for a 01 Busa just holla and I'll make a copy and send you one.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067747900 -->

I just told him how to do it!   Dude needs a service manual and he will not be in the dark. :tounge:
First of all, busababe is not a "dude", and that was who I was replying to. Second, is there a problem with more than one person offering help here? :super: Could be that some would find good clear photos and instructions a little more helpful than telling them to "get a manual".

Good ! Yo Cookie ? U st8 ? Lets keep the love flown Playaz.

Thanks for the replies...

BulletTrain,  I just may take you up on that offer after seeing the before condition of your bike and now the finished product  :eek: Wow.  I'm not going to rush into this though because like I said I'm on my own here and the threat is...you break it... well we'll just leave it at that  :laugh:  But I've been thinking about the clear lens covers for a while and once I get the nerve to take the fairing off I'll be on a roll unless I just put it right back on  :rofl:   The picture you posted has helped already, thanks!!

If I can do this w/o taking off the nose fairing I'd be happy so we'll see.

I already have a 2002 service manual but thanks for the offer.

I appreciate all the help,
Kris

Kris, I will be doing this mod probably by next weekend (if the lenses get here). I will do my best to post pics of the procedure, so that you can see it.

Has clear alternatives improved the fit of their lenses? Anyone know? I had heard they we're pretty ratty initially. I have been thinking about getting some Mototek clear lenses instead.

BE sure to give a shout when you get them in 813, I would like to know what kind of a pain in the butt they were...

Oh, Dunno if I have said howdy yet... So Howdy!

BigBSBusa,  thanks... I won't be doing it in the next week so I'd really like to hear how it goes.

Revlis...thanks for the howdy and I hope it's not a pain in the butt...I'm up for a challenge though.  It'd be the first thing I really did myself besides the windscreen.

Ciao,
Kris

Thanks for the replies...

BulletTrain,  I just may take you up on that offer after seeing the before condition of your bike and now the finished product  :eek: Wow.  I'm not going to rush into this though because like I said I'm on my own here and the threat is...you break it... well we'll just leave it at that  :laugh:  But I've been thinking about the clear lens covers for a while and once I get the nerve to take the fairing off I'll be on a roll unless I just put it right back on  :rofl:   The picture you posted has helped already, thanks!!

If I can do this w/o taking off the nose fairing I'd be happy so we'll see.

I already have a 2002 service manual but thanks for the offer.

I appreciate all the help,
Kris
Anytime. Just hit me up if you need any help. :D Oh, and you're NOT on your own. You've got your hayabusa.org family now. I've never seen another board like this one. There are people here that will go to any length necessary to help out fellow members. You're our new little sister now so you'll be taken care of. Just ask Michelle (Vabusa) if you have any doubts. ;)

Back