Installed new clutch and mod....problems

Jacobs

OEM Parts/Accessory guy
Donating Member
Registered
I did some searching and couldn't find an answer to my problem....

I installed a welded clutch "hub"/mod and also installed new steels and fibers. I also installed 3 stiffer springs and used 3 of the stockers. I never removed the basket, just the inner hub and nut that holds everything on.

Reassemble everything and start the bike.

Bike starts fine and idles fine, but....

I go to put the bike in gear while running and it literally starts to pull forward with the lever pulled...... Ok......

So I try to put the bike in neutral and it just goes to second. After multiple attempts, all I can get is first and second.

Turn the bike off and goes into neutral no problem. So I put the lever setting at "4"(stock levers), start it and put it in gear, it doesn't pull forward but I can feel the bike wanting to roll. Still can't find neutral with the engine running.

What's going on?

check your stack height. may be too thick

You know...that's kind of what I thought. Even when we put it in, it looked a little tall, but it is all OEM plates in the exact order the originals were

They make them a different thickness for a reason. you can swap out thicker or thinner steel's to make up the proper stack height. This may or may not be your problem, but it's a solid starting point.

Make sure the welded or correct on the clutch mod! Check the stack height correct. Also you might need to just your clutch lever.

Do you have a slave cyl brace or something to support it? I broke mine with the heavy duty springs...just pull the clutch in and look at it...

goood luck in locating the problem...atleast your snowed in

I'm going to pull it apart again tomorrow to check the stack height.

I'm not sure how stiff the new springs are but its only 3 stiff springs and 3 stock springs. The local performance shop in town welded the clutch "mod" for me. They've done hundreds of these so I know its welded correctly. He's the one who recommended and sold me the stiffer springs with the gen I bolt holders for the new springs. He said something must be installed incorrectly because its a direct swap.

And yes, there is plenty of snow here haha
Posted via Mobile Device

i seem to remember with the brocks mod you rotate the last steel, the directions are online. make sure the thicker steels are in the right order. did you push the slave in when you installed the pressure plate?

also did you make sure the basket stayed in or if not re-engaged the oil pump?

does not matter if there in the right order,there still going to be the same height. 2+3+2+3+2 is the same as 2+2+2+3+3 the math does not change. There in that order because of wear patterns. As for the springs ,thats not it ether. I run a full set of 40lb springs ( alot of guys do) did you put the last fiber in the right place? it does not go in the same slot as the rest of the stack.

It does not matter if u do not put the last fiber in a different spot than the rest of the plates..Think what that is for is to show clutch plate wear..

add a slave support if you don't have one or you will have problems

I didn't get a chance to tear it back apart this weekend. I'm going to replace that main nut first so I have to wait til it comes in.

I'm thinking it's my fault and I didn't line up the 3 "wedges" on the backside of that welded mod with the clutch hub. I thought I did, but after talking with a local shop, I think they may be off a little and not seating correctly. Atleast that makes the most sense. There isn't much to this install and I'm sure it's something simple/stupid.

Thanks everyone for the ideas on getting this straightened out

If you can swing the money, you might want to do a Brock's clutch mod kit. Their billet clutch mod and cushion kits will set you back nearly $500, but coupled with a new set of levers and reinforcement for your clutch slave, you will really like your clutch. I've got their setup on my turbo 2008 Gen II and I really like it. Very smooth application and the pull is waaay smooth.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but if you were considering other solutions, you've got my 2 cents, anyway!
Steve

If you can swing the money, you might want to do a Brock's clutch mod kit. Their billet clutch mod and cushion kits will set you back nearly $500, but coupled with a new set of levers and reinforcement for your clutch slave, you will really like your clutch. I've got their setup on my turbo 2008 Gen II and I really like it. Very smooth application and the pull is waaay smooth.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but if you were considering other solutions, you've got my 2 cents, anyway!
Steve

damn. I think Justin got his hub welded for next to nothing. $500 for a clutch cushion and a billet hub is quite a departure from his original goal. Also, spending money on parts and shotgunning the problem doesn't fix anything.

I ran a stock clutch with spring spacers on factory springs and took my daily rider bike to a 9.19. I doubt justin needs much more than that, to be perfectly honest.

Back