Installed cheap rotors & pads

Dehning

Registered
Hi all. Buying and fixing up bikes is my hobby, but I don't have much of a budget to play this game, so I rely on ebay & craigslist and some innovative thinking to keep things afordable.

I picked up a 2003 for $3K and after trading parts with various people have it running nicely. The bike came with Sunstar rotors that had been chromed and then a clear blue coating sprayed over that. In a word, they were warped and braking was a major problem.

So I looked around the forums and nobody could provide positive proof that the "cheap" Chinese ones on eBay were problematic, so I ordered a set. Previous experience with my VFRs has taught me that the sintered metal (HH) pads that are sold by an ebay seller names Sixity are as good as the EBC HH pads (for my purposes anyway), so I ordered a set of those too.

Including shipping, items cost:
Front Rotors: $184
Rear Rotor: $41
All 6 pads: $45.50
Total: $270.50

I specified the fact that I was buying rotors for a 2003 on my checkout form for eBay and the seller contacted me to tell me that the type I ordered was designed for the '99 Busa and suggested another item which was supposedly designed for the 2003, they even modified the order to accommodate the fact that I wanted black centers. In short I was very happy with communication. The items are stainless steel BTW.

All the items arrived here in less than a week, very satisfied with shipping.

Installed the front rotors tonight and was very impressed with the quality, everything looked perfectly formed & machined to my untrained eyes.

I have stainless steel lines and the braking difference is incredible, I look forward to them getting even better as they bed themselves in.

Also, the '09 muffler cans will fit the Gen 1 with a couple of $2 U-Bolts from home depot!

I took some pics to show some of the detail:
During install 1
During Install 2
Rivet detail
General detail
Front wheel close up 1
Front wheel close up 2
Rear 1
Rear 2
Whole Bike with '09 mufflers 1
Whole Bike with '09 mufflers 2
Whole Bike with '09 mufflers 3
Whole Bike with '09 mufflers 4

Wow! That bike looks nice! I just put on a pair of those front rotors from Toby in China. I am very pleased!

the bike looks great! thanks for the info on the brakes. did you buy the rotors from Sixity?

No the front rotors came from an eBay seller called "begoniasale", the rear came from a seller called "gold3288gold" but he doesn't seem to have any more with the black center in his store.

I have purchased pads from "Sixity" before and also super bright brake lights, never disappointed.

Hope that pays off when you need them.

I hear you, but at the same time, nobody can post concrete proof that there are any problems, it's all just hearsay and suspicion. I could find plenty of threads where OEM and known aftermarket brands failed in some way, but people seem quite fine using them.

Like I've said before, do you run Brembo brakes on your bike ? Why not ?

Great looking bike and a great deal I considered these but was talked into the EBC Contour rotors spent twice as much as you and only got rotors :( and now with less than 5,000 miles on them and less than a month they are wore out :( :( lessoned learn name brand is not always the best. If they don't warranty them I will probably be buying the same thing you got.

Great looking bike and a great deal I considered these but was talked into the EBC Contour rotors spent twice as much as you and only got rotors :( and now with less than 5,000 miles on them and less than a month they are wore out :( :( lessoned learn name brand is not always the best. If they don't warranty them I will probably be buying the same thing you got.

That's a little shocking, I would never have foreseen that, what were the circumbstances? I actually like EBC ???

It does seem odd that those EBC rotors wore out that fast. What kind of pads did you use with them?

KV i'm shocked to hear this. This is already the third or fourth set of front rotors that you've worn/warped out. Maybe something else is going on??? ???

Sorry to thread jack :beerchug:

I would like to see a product write up in a few months on your ebay rotors. Get your thoughts on them after you've put a few thounsand/hundred miles on them.

I would like to see a product write up in a few months on your ebay rotors. Get your thoughts on them after you've put a few thounsand/hundred miles on them.

same here, im sure a lot of us here would, they look great tho, the workmanship looks good from the close-ups, i think the main thing is u have to wonder what kind of steel they are using, but then again i wonder where the steel comes from for the brand names as well??? thanks for posting great job!!!

KV i'm shocked to hear this. This is already the third or fourth set of front rotors that you've worn/warped out. Maybe something else is going on??? ???

Sorry to thread jack :beerchug:

This is only the second set of rotors. 1st set was the factory ones they were on for 35,000 miles + they were warped from my own stupidity. The second set that is on the bike now is the EBC Contour with less then 5,000 miles.
What you are refering to is when I posted a thread asking about the rotors that are one the bike in this thread. While describing them I also said how mine were warped and what happened. You were under the interpretation I had already bought cheap rotors and was looking into getting another cheap set. Not to sound like a smartelic in anyway because with all the mods done to your bike you know way more than I do, but this is only the 2nd set of rotors ever put on my bike and 1st set I have had to buy. Sorry for the confusion.

Back