Install 12 volt socket

Rick Ekstrom

Registered
Planning on heading up to the mountains in Sept and want to install a 12 volt plug for my Garmin Zumo 550 that I use on my Wing.

Need to know where the perfect spot would be on the left side top of fairing that I could make a hole to mount the plug and ease of connection hook up.

Need to figure out the mount to the bars as well for the unit itself. I'm open for suggestions......

Pictures would be a great help if you have them as well.
Thanks

I have a Southwest Moto mount for my 660 but I think it will work for the 550 too. I got an accessory plug that runs off the running lights so it's switched. It's a very good setup and works well.

Slide4.jpg

Slide7.jpg

Here's one option. Look close and you'll see the 12-volt 'cigarette lighter' receptacle. This is for my iPhone, controlling the XM radio receiver (built into the 'stalk' thing). (It's hard as hell to make the mount out among all the 'clutter', but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about...)

I built the mount out of stock from the hardware store, painted it 'bumper black'. Just bent the material in a 'U' shape (upside down) as seen. The wires run from the battery along the right side of the tank, beneath the fairing. I added 2 or 3 zip-ties to keep the wires in place. If you're into aesthetics, then this is probably a little too violent for you sensibilities. But if you're about function, this works well.

I made the 'U' pretty long so as to bring the mount up where I could monkey with the iPhone while in flight. If it was only for the 12-volt receptacle, a person would make the 'U' shorter such that the plug would be closer to the front of the tank. The bracket attaches to the bike via the two 'tank' bolts. I can remove it in five minutes, if needs be.

Example of cheap, do-it-yourself mount. (It'll probably rip my gonads off if I'm ever in an accident and happen to go flying past it...but gonads are overrated anyway, if you ask me...) Alan

P1010988.jpg

P1010989.jpg

P1010990.jpg

P1010991.jpg

Last edited:
Best place for your socket(at least for me) is the tray under the back seat.Advantages:Close to the battery...you can leave your mobile locked for charging....you can use it also with your battery tender because its not interrupted by the main switch(directly connected with the battery with a fuse).Also Garmins power cable is long enough to reach handlebars from the rear seat router under the tank secured by tie wraps on the frame.This gonna be permanent...and when you dont need it , all you have to do is to unplug it.I used a saw drill and made a hole to the right side of the tray to fit the socket.

DSC03187.jpg

DSC03189.jpg

THANOS.jpg

Best place for your socket(at least for me) is the tray under the back seat.Advantages:Close to the battery...you can leave your mobile locked for charging....you can use it also with your battery tender because its not interrupted by the main switch(directly connected with the battery with a fuse).Also Garmins power cable is long enough to reach handlebars from the rear seat router under the tank secured by tie wraps on the frame.This gonna be permanent...and when you dont need it , all you have to do is to unplug it.I used a saw drill and made a hole to the right side of the tray to fit the socket.

I noticed you have Heli-bars, does it make much of a difference from stock? Just dont want to waste my money if there is not a noticable difference. Your honest opinion is greatly appreciated

Please advise

Last edited:
Back