Inner fender delima

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I am looking at expanding my storage in the tail since I have everything broken down for painting. I ordered the Tiger Tail Inner Fender and I was looking at sixpack577's (pinned) mod with the trash can. Right now I am torn between the two.

The trash can mod is sort of more finished, as it covers the entire bottom of the tail like an undertail and offers good storage. This will stop some water infultration from underneath but as I recently discovered not near enough of it. Also, the plastic boxes I'm finding have really thin walls and don't look very sturdy. I'm sure they are ok, they just don't provide a good mounting place for stuff (like a computer if I go that way).

The Tiger Tail Inner Fender is sturdy but does not come anywhere near covering the underside of the tail. It is truely a racing item and will not stop water at all. If I use the Tiget Tail Inner Fender, I will use a hugger. Storage is pretty much the same but the Tiger offers good mounting locations for stuff. It does require a battery mount though.

I plan to use waterproof project boxes for the electronics so that issue will be resolved in either case.

Any thoughts from you guys who have done either? BTW the tiger tail is nice. It fits perfectly, gives loads of storage and if rain wasn't such an issue for me I would not be posting this. I sort of want to use it because it looks so cool and I like having the aluminum under the tail rather than a thin plastic trash can.

I have no experience with tiger racing. But, I love my trash can mod.!!! I have all kinds of tools, air compressor and some other things in there.!! I tried to cut everything on the oem plastic as close as possible to the trash can and sealed the gap with black RTV all the way around.!!

Sounds like you really like the Tiger Tail. I did the trash can mod and sealed it completely with RTV. I wondered how well it would hold up under road conditions, rocks, etc. Seems like you could seal it ( the Tiger Tail ) with RTV as well :dunno:

The tiger Tail doesn't close the opening under the rear cowl. It's not meant to work that way. It is a very solid platform for anything in the trunk though.

Unless you plan on putting very heavy things in the tail then trashcan mod will be fine, If you were planning on real heavy stuff then worse case take a piece of thin aluminum, ABS, plexiglass,ect and glue it to the bottom. I pack mine full and never have any issues. I was worried using the thin file box I did but after installing it I saw I would have no issues at all. Never get water in mine either.
Now with that said I'm sure the Tiger undetail is a nice sturdy piece. I'm just cheap:laugh:

Back