Indy Car in Vegas

That was a terrible accident. Prayers sent for everyone involved.

RIP Dan Wheldon

Indy RPM Salutes

299108_247793825268485_144644975583371_641531_1084755222_n.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be there when he won his first Indy 500. When I was buying a t-shirt before the race for my daughter I thought for sure she'd want a Danica shirt. Nope, she saw Dan's picture and wanted him. Little did we know he'd win the race that day. She was pretty young then and thought her buying that shirt helped him win. She's followed him ever since.

We're both actively involved in racing and and know the risks are there. It isn't easy when this happens. You just don't expect it. Even with the safety gear it is still a dangerous sport.

RIP Dan and thanks for the memories.

RIP Dan.
This just sucks. When will they listen and quit running to many fast cars on tracks designed for NASCAR. Open wheel cars need to be on a track with hard braking zones and large run off areas. It will never be safe to run 34 cars on a 1 1/2 mile oval that they can run flat out all the way around the track. There is zero room for error. I cant help but think this could have been avoided.

RIP Dan.
This just sucks. When will they listen and quit running to many fast cars on tracks designed for NASCAR. Open wheel cars need to be on a track with hard braking zones and large run off areas. It will never be safe to run 34 cars on a 1 1/2 mile oval that they can run flat out all the way around the track. There is zero room for error. I cant help but think this could have been avoided.

The drivers said the same thing during the practice last week.

from my dunce stool via tapatalk

GSXTacy, of course it could have been avoided, don't race. Where is the line between safe and dangerous drawn? It is a dangerous sport and great leaps and bounds have been made toward making it safer but it is still racing. If they limited all the cars to 50hp they still could have a competitive race but it would lack any thrill or excitement. Every racing driver/rider and their families must deal with the fact that anything could happen and this race may be their last. Do not place the blame on the promoter, or the companies pushing the drivers...it all rests with the driver's decision to get in that car. Anything could happen on a race track as well as standing on the corner waiting for the bus.

It is a tragedy for sure, he was taken at probably the worst time possible in his life with such a beautiful family and his racing career really starting to take off. I hope he is now turning flawless laps with ever improving times and no fuel shortage.

This is something one of my customers wrote, he is a fellow racer that met Dan Wheldon. I don't think I could have said it any better.

With the death this weekend of Dan Wheldon at Las Vegas, I have been getting emails and calls from friends that know of my racing history and my continued passion for all things speed/competition related. I’ve struggled with coming up with a good explanation of why with the all of the horrific outcomes, I yet climb back into that race car and go compete.
Words fail me greatly when trying to explain it. I try to explain to people it’s for the love of competition or that I really am that “type A”. But in truth, it’s what God created me to do. That’s how I was wired up. I had a passion and a God-given talent to drive a race car as hard and fast as physics would allow. Could I have taken another path and done something different with my time? I probably could, but I wouldn’t have been as happy as I am when on track. Nothing can replace that feeling or provide that absolute satisfaction.
When you fight through the tears and sadness of what happened to a good family man like Dan Wheldon, you realize, unfortunately, the stark reality that there is risk in anything we do. I could step off the curb crossing the street and could be killed. It sounds simplistic, but that’s because it is. Who hasn’t heard stories of a soldier surviving fighting in some far-off land protecting our freedom, only to come home and be killed in a car wreck or a robbery?
As a race car driver, I have a different mindset and I know it. Even at a go-cart track with friends, I can’t just let one of the guys win. I will push the very limits of life to beat anyone and everyone present by as much of a margin as I can generate. I honestly believe down to the core that “it can’t happen to me.” I believe “it might happen to the other guy but not me.” Every accident I was in as a driver, I was blessed. I survived and I walked away to a certain extent. Now sure, I have paid the price with my physical being, I got all busted up, but I was alive and able to come back and race again, no matter how long the rehab took, or what the doctors believed was possible.
I learned next time out, to be more aware of a situation or do a better job in anticipating what might and probably would happen. I learned where the line was with both machine and me. I never let an accident take me away from the sport I felt I have to be involved with for life to have meaning.
My passion has always been racing. Everything else ran a distant second. I can and have driven hurt. I would do the rehab or whatever it took to get back in that race car. Broken ribs, cracked bones in the hands, even after facial reconstruction – I don’t care, tape me up. Busted leg – how soon can I drive again? Concussion – I’ll be fine, what was that, no really I am fine why do you keep asking? That was my mindset because I refused to let an accident control me and keep me from following my passion.
It’s like the old cliché of, “If you fall off the horse, you have to get back on it.” You just have to. You can’t let the fear take over and put up a barrier in your mind. That’s not living, that’s just waiting to go talk to God about what you’ve done to his creation and the choices you made along the way.
As a driver, you have to believe your destiny is in our own hands. Racers are supremely confident when it comes to that. To a certain point, a driver feels bulletproof because he or she is in control. Some may label that prideful, arrogant, ego, etc., but that’s the passion and we follow it to the fullest. We like to be challenged. We like to be in control. Most of all, obviously, we like to win.
No driver gets behind the wheel of a race car with a death wish. It’s the complete opposite. When you sit down in the seat of that race car, you have all the confidence in the world. This is your day. You are smarter, better and faster than the other guy. You just know it.
Risk is part of what we do. We know it and accept it. We also try to eliminate as much of that risk as we can through skill, education, experience and practice, lots of practice. Are you going to wreck? Sure you are sometimes, but you try and learn from each one. Learning from all those little knocks hopefully keeps you from having to face the big knock.
PLEASE no more calls or emails. You will either accept what explanation I have provided or not, either way, I will continue on my chosen path……..

It sucks.Indy cars do not belong on a nascar track 3 wide.They knew the track wasnt safe for the speeds they drive.

After thinking about this, I assume that those of you who think the race track was unsafe and should have not been used. Also feel that the Isle of Mann TT should not be run again. Because someone is killed nearly EVERY YEAR there and has been for as long as I can remember.

Just my opinion, not that I think the race should or should not have been run. That decision I will leave up to the Drivers and Owners :beerchug:

After thinking about this, I assume that those of you who think the race track was unsafe and should have not been used. Also feel that the Isle of Mann TT should not be run again. Because someone is killed nearly EVERY YEAR there and has been for as long as I can remember.

Just my opinion, not that I think the race should or should not have been run. That decision I will leave up to the Drivers and Owners :beerchug:

The drivers were complaining the week before the race. What are they gonna do? They are under contract to the owners and sponsors.
The owners could care less! There are drivers lined up waiting for a car to open up. The race organizations don't care as long as the stands are full and they get their money.
The drivers are in a damned if they do and damned if they don't situation.
They told the owners and Indycar this race was dangerous. The track was too fast. Wanna take a guess the response?? We will never know but I bet it was not in the best interest if the drivers.
The only reason they are acting as if they care now is the egg on their face cause a driver was killed. It is in their best interest to put on a good show.

from my dunce stool via tapatalk

The TT Race is 10 times as dangerous as the Indy Car Race, and they make a choice to race. Every Driver knows there's an great element of Risk no matter how much attention is paid to safety.

Ironically, I'm sure that some of us, have at one time or another, needed to defend the sport we engage in daily and love. Riding a Busa is not without it's risks. Still, hopefully we ride within our skill limit and "manage" the risk. Certainly, no one is forcing us to. Thinking that some of the drivers who raced that day, were forced by their contracts....Indy racing needs a Kenny Roberts.
RIP Dan.

Back