Individual cylinder AFR tuning

jumjum01

Registered
I have been looking into individual cylinder tuning (ICT). Since I dont want to drill and weld bungs on my Akravovic header, I tried something different. I used the PAIR pipes coming from the cylinder head and attached the wideband sensor directly to each cylinder PAIR pipe with a suitable hose. Took the bike for a ride on the motorway and stopped 3 times to relocate the wideband sensor to the next cylinder (with welding gloves and pliers, HOT).
I dont know if this setup is super accurate, but if I could get the correct fuel offset between the cylinders. And the unify the fuel map and then autotune from there with the wideband in the original collector bung. Anyways, here are the AFR results for the TPS map:

c1-4.png

Last edited:
Very interesting. A local racer over here tuned his zx10r per cylinder. His bike was so fast at the track they made the team tear the motor apart to be inspected. It was a circuit bike. From he told us he gained almost 10hp from tuning each cylinder. I think it’s a little crazy but if you want to squeeze every little bit out of a bike anything can help. It’s just like a 2stroke snowmobile tuning each cylinder.

Each cylinder flow about 11 liters/min through the PAIR port at idle.
I made this version 2.0 exhaust valve measuring device :-) using an old PAIR valve. The exhaust air enters the big port i the bottem end and has to pass the O2 sensor to escape through the 4 one-way ports. The one-way valves stop the vacuum pulse from pulling in fresh air backwards and messing up the AFR. This should allow exhaust gas to flow across the O2. I will probably test this afternoon

20220725_123720.jpg

20220725_123737.jpg

20220725_125804.jpg

Each cylinder flow about 11 liters/min through the PAIR port at idle.
I made this version 2.0 exhaust valve measuring device :-) using an old PAIR valve. The exhaust air enters the big port i the bottem end and has to pass the O2 sensor to escape through the 4 one-way ports. The one-way valves stop the vacuum pulse from pulling in fresh air backwards and messing up the AFR. This should allow exhaust gas to flow across the O2. I will probably test this afternoon

View attachment 1653780

View attachment 1653781

View attachment 1653782
Nice! Looking forward to the results

Ok, so I finally finished a series of test passes with the ICT tuning. I started out with 3 passes on cylinder 1, with autotune between each pass. Also cylinder 2 with 3 iterations. Then I copied cylinder map 2 to 3 and cylinder map 1 to 4 and did 2 test iterations on both cylinder 3 and 4.
I would say most of the fuel changes where in the 0-7% area, and only a few on 10% or more. I think the results seems consistant and most of the time the inner og outer cylinders follow the same fuel amount seen as groups (banks). There are some places in the fuel map where there are big differences between inner and outer cylinder fuel amount. I guess this depends on the flow characteristics differences in the cylinder head ports at specific rpms. Anyways, I hope to dyno next week and test both this ICT map and compare to my (stock) map autotuned map. I dont expect big differences, but who knows :-)

This picture shows fueling at WOT on the TPS map. I included ignition timing differences since it might influence the fueling.

pair.png

Tune on cylinder 4, autotunes suggested changes in %:

ICT_C4.png

Last edited:
Does variance in cylinder temperature affect tuning among the cylinders? Or is cooling fairly even or otherwise not an issue compared to flow? My poor memory is thinking that someone mentioned the inner two cylinders run hotter. (Never go by my memory though.)

Does variance in cylinder temperature affect tuning among the cylinders? Or is cooling fairly even or otherwise not an issue compared to flow? My poor memory is thinking that someone mentioned the inner two cylinders run hotter. (Never go by my memory though.)
Dont know. But I wonder why ingition timing is so different between the cylinder banks.

Well maybe because its a flat plane firing order. The center two fire at the time and then front and back fire.

Back