In depth question on Turbo

busa_boy_69

Registered
OKay heres the scoop. As some of you may have read last week I was contemplating my 03 which is only 1000$ from being totally mine. BUT I thought hard and decided to keep it. However after making the decision to stick with her I have realized something else. Rather than be concerned with a possibly faster 08 coming out why not just make my paid off decked out bike that I already have way faster than it would be anyways.....so I have decided its time to drop a turbo on her. But heres the thing I know NOTHING about that stuff.

Can someone school me on a few of these questions I have??? I know there are a lot of TURBO guys on the board.....

1.) What type of Turbo is the biggest power beast?

2.) To set up a Turbo on these bikes what all is needed parts wise to do it correctly?

3.) Average cost how much am I looking at?

4.) I have an Akrapovic Full race system....if I do a turbo that is pretty much useless now isn't it?

5.) Anyone know a GOOD quality place in the Cincinnati/ Dayton/ or Columbus area to have it installed?

6.) Reliability wise what would this do to a 25,000 mile motor? Good or bad idea.

Alright fellas thats the big ones I got. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
BB69

I'm a Turbo rider, but not much of a techy guy, so until some real techies speak up here are my thoughts:

I believe (not positive) that Seb at NLR builds the biggest and baddest turbos.

2.) To set up a Turbo on these bikes what all is needed parts wise to do it correctly?
Most reputable turo vendors sell the complete kit to include all parts.

Stage 1 kits with 250hp start at $3200.00 and from there you can pay more than $15,000 for the bigger and more powerful kits.

4.) I have an Akrapovic Full race system....if I do a turbo that is pretty much useless now isn't it?
Yes, turbo kits will either use a dump pipe or a custom full exhaust system and i don't thenk any of the turbo vendors use Akra for their full exhaust.

5.) Anyone know a GOOD quality place in the Cincinnati/ Dayton/ or Columbus area to have it installed?
One of the best is in Cleveland, OH (Motorhead) but there should one closer to you.

6.) Reliability wise what would this do to a 25,000 mile motor? Good or bad idea.
25k is a lot of miles to suddenly bolt a turbo on. The bigger turbos will require motor work anyway, so it may be doable.

I hope this helps. The best advice that I got when I decided to go turbo is to have a good installer/tuner nearby.

(if you're planning a turbo , don't forget to contact Velocity , their kits one of the best)

(sageronin @ Feb. 02 2007,09:54) I'm a Turbo rider, but not much of a techy guy, so until some real techies speak up here are my thoughts:

I believe (not positive) that Seb at NLR builds the biggest and baddest turbos.

Most reputable turo vendors sell the complete kit to include all parts.

Stage 1 kits with 250hp start at $3200.00 and from there you can pay more than $15,000 for the bigger and more powerful kits.  

Yes, turbo kits will either use a dump pipe or a custom full exhaust system and i don't thenk any of the turbo vendors use Akra for their full exhaust.

One of the best is in Cleveland, OH (Motorhead) but there should one closer to you.

25k is a lot of miles to suddenly bolt a turbo on. The bigger turbos will require motor work anyway, so it may be doable.

I hope this helps. The best advice that I got when I decided to go turbo is to have a good installer/tuner nearby.
Thanks a lot man you helped a LOT!
beerchug.gif

I will add to this....

There really isn't an answer for ya.... how much power you want.  Anything below 700 or so is very DOable just depends on what you want to spend.

Also hard to answer depending on how much power you want.  Alot of stage 1 kits come with everything you need to just bolt on and get 300hp.

I would say for a good stage 1 kit, right at $3500 not installed.  I think dennis (motorhead) is selling his for right around there and $4200 installed.  Anything more than about 350hp and you start getting into the motor with rods,pistons, valve springs..... the list goes on as the hp increases.

Really depends on if you could use it or not.  The header and everything is useless.  You MIGHT be able to use the midpipe and can depending on the diameter.  It really needs to be atleast 2.5".  My suggestion is to just sell it to a board member.  You should be able to get good money for it.

Go to Dennis in cleveland.  He is a nice guy and will really make your bike perform.  He'll set you up with exactly what you want and with what you can afford.  

I"ve heard of guys doing it without having problems.  I might say to bring the bike to a dealer and have them do a checkup on it and see how the tolerances are.  Otherwise bring it to dennis and he can open her up and let you know the outcome of the motor and you can go from there.

My suggestion
wink.gif
, GO TO A RECCOMMENDED DEALER, and then let him guide you through on what you want, and what HE SUGGEST you do  
beerchug.gif

The bigger the turbo the more power it will make and the longer it will take to spool. You don't want a huge turbo on a street bike.

There are so many different setups it would be hard to cover them all without knowing what you are going to do with it. Bare minimum you will need a power commander, slave support, clutch springs and a chain. At 6 psi just bolt the turbo on and go. Any more than that and you will need to add a spacer plate and an adjustable cam sprocket. Some where in the mid-high 200 hp level you will need to add larger injectors to handle the fueling needs. Stock rods will need replaced if you're going much over 300 hp. The list goes on and on, the more power you add the more parts you will need.

$3300-$4000 for a basic no frills kit + install + tune. Figure $5000 for a basic stage 1 and you will be close. Don't skimp on the tune, that is the biggest mistake made by guys adding turbos. No tune or crappy tune = $$$

Sell it to help pay for the turbo.

If I lived in Ohio there is only one place I would go:

Dennis Clanton
8606 Denison Ave  
Cleveland O.H. 44102

I have heard of turbo bikes with double that mileage that have no problems. Check with your mechanic but I would say maybe throw some new rings in it and if everything else checks out that would be about it.

WOW! More awesome guidance today. You guys rock. I have been doing some research the past couple days and here is what I am leaning towards so far. I want this bike to still be reliable and for everyday use because I ride A LOT so I am thinking a stage one kit is perfect. 240 hp is about the range I am looking for. I am leaning towards the velocity stage one kit so far but I am gonna call Dennis in Cleveland since that is the closest well named tuner that a couple people are already tossing up. I am gonna most likely save up the cash and go up there for a day or two and let him tweak the bike and bring her home.

I will be sure and keep you all posted as it progresses.....

I would call the motorhead,i am running a motorhead system on my bike,Stage one ghetto kit,makes 248.6 hp on pump gas @6lbs boost,runs flawless in the heat and was easy to install,the map he sent me was almost perfect,made 244 first pull on the dyno!!Cant wait to buy his intercooler,injectors,cyl. spacer,etc.and turn it up a bit!!I wouldnt wait for the 08 busa,Bolt a turbo on yours and smoke any new sportbike!!!
race.gif

I bought my 01 busa new, and around 6/03 I was ready for something different and figuring the busa was a 5 year old bike soon Suzuki would be giving us something new, but after the news of the 07 I decided to sell my 01 and buy an 06 LE {cause the paint scheme really is my favorite to date]. Which I intend on turboing {is that a word?}, plus a wide tire, chrome stuff, ect, ect, ect...
But anyway turbo the 03 and dont look back,. I ended up with the 1320 straitliners kit from Burt {1320straitliners.com]... Even though it is taking forever to get it was just what I was looking for..
$3700 with a Blow off valve, external gate, and power comander,
240 hp at 5 psi
decent turbo comes with it that is small enough to fit behind the adiator and oil cooler, and mounted high enough to keep my stock oil level...
All AN fittings and well made stainless header... But anyway check around see how far you want to go wth it, I didnt want to take my engine apart and I want a good drivable reliable cycle....
And I have heard nothing but good things about the evo3 turbo, and Burt backs the kit so that is all I needed to know..
I am waiting over 8 weeks for the kit and its still not done but its 100 degrees here anyway, so not much hharm done ...
Good luck..
If your looking for more than 250 hp, you will need to go over 6psi of boost and you will then need motor workk, which is ussually just a spacer plate and some timing work but you can go even further with turbo pistons, stronger rotating assembliies, a new cam set, ect But now your talking 300-500 hp and 8K-15K$,
As far as the miles, if you do go stage 2 {I recomend richards RCC kit, {also purchase through Burt}} and freshen the motor while your in there..
Ok thats it Im done///...
biggrin.gif

Back